Mystery Ranch Pack Choice Overload!!!

flyingvmt

I know there are a plethora of threads regarding MR packs and all the hubbub with the new packs dropping for 2019. Here's the deal, I have gone back and forth and back again doing research and talking to other MR aficionados and I am still at a loss for the pack that I "need" for this year.

I currently have a CrewCab with a load sling setup and I only use this rig for meat hauling, so the new cab bag isn't even used. I also have a Scapegoat 35 that is my go to choice day in and day out for my hike in day hunts as I can easily slip a front shoulder in the bag for the first trip out. That being said, I have some multi day hunts in the works for the upcoming season and I am looking at the Metcalf and the Beartooth. The Beartooth just seems like super overkill for anything less than five days as well as having al different buckles and what not. I'm also banking on a large number of Metcalfs coming on the market from fellas looking to build cash supplies for the new packs.

But then, the 38 year old dad of two kids kicks in and says use what you have.......anyone care to weigh in and help me make a more informed decision?

I appreciate all comments!

I would think a 35 would be pretty small for multi day trips. I’ve done it with my Longbow and it’s a bit of a pain. It’s much, much easier with the Metcalf.

If I was on a tight budget I’d shop for a used Metcalf. If you were really long at long trips, I’d recommend stepping up in size. I’ve gotten nine days out of my Metcalf, but it was an early season archery hunt.

I would think a 35 would be pretty small for multi day trips. I’ve done it with my Longbow and it’s a bit of a pain. It’s much, much easier with the Metcalf.

If I was on a tight budget I’d shop for a used Metcalf. If you were really long at long trips, I’d recommend stepping up in size. I’ve gotten nine days out of my Metcalf, but it was an early season archery hunt.

That tells me a lot actually. Haven't ever talked to a Metcalf owner, so hearing that helps me lean towards a Metcalf. Maybe Scheels has some on sale like the rest of their MR packs......

Appreciate the advice JLS!

Keep an eye on BlackOvis and Camofire along with the classified ads here and other hunting forums

Have you considered the Pintler?

Keep an eye on BlackOvis and Camofire along with the classified ads here and other hunting forums

Have you considered the Pintler?

Haven't really looked at the Pintler to be honest. I just assumed from a quick glance that it was quite similar to the scapegoat 35 setup.....I will give it a look on the MR website now though.

What are your thoughts on the Pintler?

I’ve been researching essentially the same class of packs as you. My usage profile is a bit different in that my hunting will be day hunts about 90% of the time with an overnight bivy on occasion. I could easily do all my hunting out of the 41L Pintler or 45L Sawtooth. In fact, those two are probably the perfect packs for that usage.

However, I am also going to be using the same pack for fly fishing backpacking trips of up to 5 days. My quandary is, can I just use the Overload shelf on a Sawtooth or Pintler for the extra gear I need on the longer non-hunting trips, or do I go to a bigger pack like the 62L Selway, 72L Metcalf or 80L Beartooth and just compress it down for day hunting?

Right now, I’m leaning toward splitting the difference and buying the new 2019 Selway once it becomes available. I should be able get everything I need for a 2-3 day fly fishing trip into the bag without using the meat shelf and I still have that extra space for the occasional 4-5 day trip. It is quite a bit lighter than the Metcalf or Beartooth so it should make a nicer day-hunting pack than both.

I have a bit of time before the new Selway hits the shelves so I can keep overthinking this and perhaps change my mind.

I have the benefit of trying all their packs, existing, new, and prototype. I used a Beartooth prototype last season for some hunts. Excellent for multi-day hunts, but I would pick my Metcalf if just day hunting or 1-3 nights. I think the Selway is going to be a big hit for many applications.

One of the questions is whether you need a lid, or not. If so, hard to be the Metcalf. If not, the Sawtooth and Selway are great options. Since I prefer a lid, that seems to have me grabbing my Metcalf more than the other options.

You like access from the top, the side, or the back of the bag? How you answer that might drive you to one solution or the other.

Good luck with your search.

I have the benefit of trying all their packs, existing, new, and prototype. I used a Beartooth prototype last season for some hunts. Excellent for multi-day hunts, but I would pick my Metcalf if just day hunting or 1-3 nights. I think the Selway is going to be a big hit for many applications.

One of the questions is whether you need a lid, or not. If so, hard to be the Metcalf. If not, the Sawtooth and Selway are great options. Since I prefer a lid, that seems to have me grabbing my Metcalf more than the other options.
Does the lid on the Beartooth come off? Would removing the lid make it compress better for day hunts?

You like access from the top, the side, or the back of the bag? How you answer that might drive you to one solution or the other.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the insight Randy! That helps solidify my thoughts on the Metcalf still being the pack I want to go to even with the shiny new 2019 packs deterring my attention.

Does the lid on the Beartooth come off? Would removing the lid make it compress better for day hunts?

I actually prefer the lid for day hunting. I put my water filter and survival kit in one pocket and food in the other. Coats, etc go in the main bag.

What are your thoughts on the Pintler?

Haven't hunted with mine yet, mostly camping and carrying my winter gears for emergency/car problems.

I like how it forces you choose wisely on what is your real necessities.
I just have inconsistent fit with my waistbelt.
Attaching a pic

Top is Pintler in Small waistbelt..., bottom is a T100 in XSmall waist... haven't tried packing the T100 up to 30lbs, but, loaded it it 20lbs and did some house chores, up & down the stairs.
Not sure if it's the excitement, but, kinds like the 5-pcs waistbelt over the Pintler's one PC waistbelt.

Hopefully I can take it out on a proper hike.

Got me thinking, since the T100 is too huge for my needs and I like the 5-pcs waistbelt better (for now)... maybe I'll appreciate the new belt on the Guidelight MT frames 🤔
https://i.imgur.com/R1n6dlv.jpg
http://imgur.com/a/6jl0y08

FWIW, I just picked up a 2018 Selway off camofire for a screaming deal. I'd tried on the Metcalf at Scheels and I think it would be a great option too. For me, I'm planning to primarily do day hunts and the Selway is definitely more streamlined and lighter weight at baseline than the Metcalf. It will definitely compress down easily for a day pack.

Because I am looking at some multiday use and I'm not a super efficient backcountry minimalist, I'm glad I didn't go all the way down to Pintler size.

I'm also planning some 2-4 day early season hunts this year and currently have the Selway packed with all my gear (including 2man tent, stove, sleeping bag & pad, rain gear, puffy jacket, game bags, calls/gps/knife etc). My gear is by no means ultralight or super-compact. Still a bit more room but i do think for multiday trip will need to load food in drybag on load shelf rather than in bag itself. Especially if I were going to have a spotter in there too.
I can definitely see where bag selection and setup gets addictive. Good luck all!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back