Huntin with Big burtha

riley

Anyone out there hunting with a 50bmg ? Maybe most states don’t allow it?

Last edited:
Why would you want to ? I have shot them in the Marine’s and was offered to shoot a bolt action rifle on the ranch I was Hunting antelope on and I said no thanks been there done that. Just FYI the bolt action rifle scoped weight was 38lbs. and Women need a rest and Men shoot it off handed the Rancher said.

You can use anything you want to shoot about anything in MT,
Very few caliber restrictions..

Back in the day they used a .470 nitro but now the minimum caliber up on the plateau is a .50BMG

I think this is Edward Malone with a booner back in the 1912. Personally I would take a 20mm if I was going to hunt that Tepui, but I'm one of those guys who is willing to trade knock down power for weight.

malone.jpg

Whew...
For a minute there i thought this was gonna be another manbun thread, stuffed to overflowing with pixie dust, and using the latest magic wand barrel to hunt T-Rex at 8 miles away with a 4 power scope salvaged off a 70's, 22LR.

Still as senseless.
May as well load up the 8 inch Paladin.
I guess the Iowa is in mothballs right now.

I know it was kind of a dumb question . Forgive me it’s off season . I’m bored .

We all are.
Like was said previously. Don't wanna lug a 38 lb rifle around.
I built a Mauser for myself. Love the rifle! Hate that it weighs 10lbs without ammo.
And i live/hunt at 1,200 ft to 2,000 ft above sea level.
Couldn't imagine lugging 10 lb at 9,000 ft elev up and down the mountains.

Heck to follow our fearless leader some of the places he goes would be out of the question with my mauser, much less a fifty. I think he's part Billy Goat. Lol

Biggest center-fire rifle I've ever actually hunted with was my 375 H&H Ruger Number One. Works peachy on black bear.

Smallest thing I ever shot with it was a rockchuck/marmot that was silly enough to scamper around on the range one day when I was practicing with the 375 rifle. A 300 grain soft point Sierra works real well on marmot. ;)

I haven't shot a 50 BMG at game ever. Couple of my buddies have them for fooling around with on the rifle range. Big toys, but lots of fun. "Played" with them in the Marines a half a lifetime ago too.

Guy

Back in the early 80s, 400 yards was long range to me and anything over 500 yards was extreme long range (the ballistic charts in the Remington catalog and my reloading manual didn’t go over 500 yards). At that time, I heard of a group of guys in northern Idaho who were using 50 BMGs and big military rangefinders for elk clear out to 1000 yards or more. Not too much later, the regulations in Idaho changed to prohibit the use of a rifle that weighed more than 16 pounds with scope, sling, and other attachments. Although I am sure someone could build a 16 pound 50, I don’t think I would want to shoot it.

It is amazing how equipment and effective hunting ranges have changed since then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back