Where should I hunt question?

FranklinME

No, not that "where should I hunt question"! :D

I have three points and need to choose between two units. One I can draw regular, one I will need special. But since I just realized I was able to use my Az license for this year's draw (lucky accident), I don't mind paying for the special. The two units are next door to Casper and Cody. I plan to stay in town and be there for 8 or 9 days. The questions is which town has greater access to bird/rabbit hunting and fishing? Other cool things to see or do? I am not looking for a trophy just a nice average buck, so I am guessing I will have time for other things after the hunt. Still trying to decide if I will try for a deer tag in a general unit.

You can hunt chukar around Cody. You can find dusky grouse on Muddy Mountain south of Casper. You can hunt sage grouse near both towns. I haven't fished around Cody, but the North Platte has good fishing. I frequently hunt rabbits near Casper, but that's more of a friend's honey-hole. If the rabbit hunting in general near Casper is as good as that spot, it's pretty good.

Last edited:
Cody: More fishing, close to YNP, Buffalo Bill Museum; more chance to see griz in that area.

Casper: Tate and Werner Museum; There's some cool history in the area if you want to go looking for it.

If it were me, I'd chose Cody. Unless my mom says I need to go visit my grandma, then I'd go to Casper.

I deer hunted near Cody in 2015. Could have killed a limit of cottontails in 30 minutes if I'd wanted to, they were literally everywhere. I don't know how the population is now.

I like Casper area too though.

I deer hunted near Cody in 2015. Could have killed a limit of cottontails in 30 minutes if I'd wanted to, they were literally everywhere. I don't know how the population is now.

I like Casper area too though.

That year there were so many everywhere out there that Stevie Wonder could have killed 50 in 15 or 20 minutes. Since then they went down in numbers to the point that wherever we went last year we hardly saw any.

Thanks guys, appreciate the responses. Think I'm going with 81 near Cody. Looks like lots of access.

Back