MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hiking Boot recommendations

dcopas78

I've always been a big fan of Salomon, and have owned a few pairs of the Quest 4D 3 GTX hikers. However, the last pair hasn't performed very well for me at all. The fit and everything is still great, but the quality seems to have declined in the last few years. They lost waterproofing in less than a month, the sole of the boots are coming unglued, and the lacing eyelets are also loosening. I thought I may have just gotten a bad pair of boots, but it looking at the most recent reviews, it seems I'm not the only one with these issues. I'm on the market for trying another hiker similar to these. I've been looking at the Lowa Renegades, the Scarpa Zodiak, Zamberlain, and a few others. Does anyone have a recommendation for something I should look at in a lightweight hiker like the ones mentioned?

I didn't have very good luck with the Renegades. They were very comfortable but the sole wore flat and they started to fall apart after about 18 months. I never did any real hard hiking either, mostly just daily wear. Same experience with Danner Radicals. I got a pair of Hanwag Yellowstone II GTX a couple years and they still look like new and I have wore them on a couple hunts and almost daily wear. I liked them enough to get a another pair of Hanwag that I am still breaking in. This last pair is their Alverstone GTX and seem to be very good quality also.

My Lowa Renegades have worked well for me for several years and several backpacking trips, one 76-miler. One pair was restitched on seams after about four years. I always install Super Feet inserts and they seem to provide really good support. The Renegade is the one boot I have bought again because it fits me comfortably right out of the box, without the somewhat uncomfortable break-in time required of others I have worn.

I have a pair of Lowa Renegades. They are very comfortable boots and offer some ankle support. They are very easy to break in and the suede leather is easy to clean and re-waterproof. I only wear them when hiking trails or off the road. I bought them at REI and the sales guy told me to make sure not to wear on concrete because the sole would go quickly and to store them as clean as possible in a controled temp enviornment. I think the same rules apply for most boots. If you take care of them, they take care of you. The only issue I have with them is once the sole wears out there is no way to resole them according to Lowa.

I have been experiencing the same issues with my new pair of Salomans. If you have a narrower foot, the La Sportiva Trangos get great feedback, they won't fit my foot unfortunately. I have been looking at the Crispi's I tried them on at the BHA Rendezvous last year and was pretty impressed. I have tried on the Lowa Irox and Camino's and I like them way better than the Renegades I had.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX. I have had great luck. I treat them almost like my guns for maintenance simply because they are so expensive. I clean and treat them after every trip and only use in mountains. I have a pair of danner pronghorns for hunting birds and goats in more prairie scenery. Both have several years and quite a few miles. Based on some opinions, I may have the only good Lowas. :)

IMHO, goretex is the only waterproof liner that has worked the way I want. I have other clothing and hiking boots that are not goretex and work for waterproofing but some are so hot they keep water in as well.

For hiking I also have a pair of Lowa Renegades and like them very much. Make sure to try them on or order them from a place with free returns as I think they run slightly narrow.

Make sure to try them on or order them from a place with free returns as I think they run slightly narrow.

This has been my only reservation about hanwags or kenetrek is my inability to go try them on since there isn't any place to try them on close to me. I have heard great things about both. Thanks for the input everyone.

I’ve had great luck with Scarpa.

I have a pair of the Kinesis Pro GTX. It’s not a lightweight hiker like your looking for though.

You’re right, Salomon got cheap on quality. I used to be a big fan. Not anymore. Crispi Dakota’s have been a superior replacement for me.

I have been using Mendel and like them very much as they are comfortable. I would like to try some of the brands you guys mentioned but I have never seen them on the shelf to try on.
Yes I shop at Cabela’s and in Iowa here are not a lot of high end hiking stores.

FWIW I see Cabelas has taken a lot of Meindl boots off their site. I've heard they are discontinuing some and others are being rebranded as part of the (BassPro/Cabelas deal). At any rate, I have been using Zamberlan boots for the last couple years but the ones I'm wearing are not hiking boots so I can't comment on their hikers. I think you're safe buying Scarpa, Zamerlan, Hanwag, Lowa, Meindl, Kenetreks, etc as long as they fit your feet. I have my eyes on Lathrop & Sons boots as an option for my next pair.

I bought some Crispi Summits from Camofire that really agree with my feet. I don't like buying footwear without trying it on since fit & comfort vary so widely between brands, models & from person to person. For me these have been the most comfortable boots I've ever owned by far.

Well my 4 year old vasques just broke. So now I'm in the looking for deals/cry once buy one phase of boot shopping. Hate this sort of thing because I don't want to spend $260 on a boot that breaks in a year but don't want to spend $400 when I could've spent $260 lol.

Looking at the scarpa kinesis pro gtx and the Crispi Nevada legend gtx. Somebody convince me the scarpas will work just as well/long as the Crispis. Of course there is no dealer nearby for either so trying on is out, I have a narrow/normal foot.

If you are looking for something slightly stiffer than the Salomon's, I just picked up a set of Salewa Raven 2 GTX that have come on sale since they announced the Raven 3. If you do look at them, order a half size big. I did and it was the right answer.

They are stiffer than the Salomon, but that is what I wanted. They have a really good rand and are crampon capable, if you really get crazy.

I haven't put much miles on them yet, but so far they feel comfortable.

I ended up getting a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX off of backcountry.com for $277, normally $370. They are heavier than what I was originally wanting, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Figured I would use these for a kinda mid-season type boot. The wife is going to "let" me order another pair of something like the Tantra since they are a lighter pair for hiking this spring and summer. Thank goodness for side jobs and contract work :)

P.S. The hanwags were a good fit, thanks for the recommendations guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back