Caribou Gear

Pennsylvania Sunday Hunting

Interestingly enough, many non residents voiced their approval of the new proposed regulations. Laugh all you want, my hunch is a very vocal group of resident hunters and non hunting resident landowners will have their say at the late spring season setting meetings. As for me, I could care less. I don’t rely on the 2 day a year “ hunter “ to move a deer to me. In 3 years I’ll be retired anyway, can hunt whenever. What will jerk my chain, however, is if the season gets shortened because of “ increased pressure weekends”, according to a PGC employee. Not gonna make everyone happy. It surely not a decision based on the resource. Surely shouldn’t be a decision based on non resident wishes. And most certainly shouldn’t be a decision based on out of state lobbying groups, yet all were given a voice at the preliminary hearing.

Its tough for me to relay this, I stink at communication. But here goes, what I have to say on this issue is blasphemy on a board like this. I think there are some important traditions associated with the current regs that will be lost by a Saturday opener and Sunday hunting day. Some of these traditions may be small and seemingly un-important to some, but those traditions are no less important than the hunt itself. They are traditions that have been part of shaping men for along time. Going to other camps to visit on the weekend before the Monday opener was always big. The camp dinners with friends from other camps or friends who didn’t have camps was a way to learn. The running deer shoots and other competitive events at the local sportsmen clubs on the Saturday and Sunday before are fund raisers and social events for those clubs. I have always felt that like athletics and extra curricular school activities, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities are important tools for shaping the individual. For us as kids the experience was about way more than just the hunt. By starting Saturday and hunting Sunday some of those most important lessons and interactions will be lost. My brother and I both played multiple sports in high school and played division 1 sports on the college level for 4 years each. Yet with all that commitment to sports we found a way to hunt with our families and experience the outdoors. My parents never missed our stuff. Some how my brother and I managed to become hunters without ever hunting a Sunday in PA. And so it is now with my own kids. They are doing sports and hunting. Perhaps it is that limited time afield that makes us thirst for it even more and makes hunting special.

Last edited:
I could honestly care less about whether opening day is Saturday or Monday. If it's going to be Saturday though, it makes a lot more sense to permit Sunday hunting.

I have quite a few friends and co-workers that live and hunt in the commonwealth as I’m within 20 miles from the PA and NY border and absolutely zero of them are against both moving the rifle opener to Monday, and not allowing Sunday hunting. As it stands in my area not that many hunters go south to PA to hunt anymore because of the no Sunday Hunting and not being able to hunt during the peak of the rut.

I could care less what PGC decides because I have no desire to hunt in PA for the reasons I mentioned and the Monday opener is a moot point for me because I don’t hunt deer with a rifle. I just feel for my friends that have to stay home every Sunday while I’m sitting in a tree stand.

Last edited:
Its tough for me to relay this, I stink at communication. But here goes, what I have to say on this issue is blasphemy on a board like this. I think there are some important traditions associated with the current regs that will be lost by a Saturday opener and Sunday hunting day. Some of these traditions may be small and seemingly un-important to some, but those traditions are no less important than the hunt itself. They are traditions that have been part of shaping men for along time. Going to other camps to visit on the weekend before the Monday opener was always big. The camp dinners with friends from other camps or friends who didn’t have camps was a way to learn. The running deer shoots and other competitive events at the local sportsmen clubs on the Saturday and Sunday before are fund raisers and social events for those clubs. I have always felt that like athletics and extra curricular school activities, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor activities are important tools for shaping the individual. For us as kids the experience was about way more than just the hunt. By starting Saturday and hunting Sunday some of those most important lessons and interactions will be lost. My brother and I both played multiple sports in high school and played division 1 sports on the college level for 4 years each. Yet with all that commitment to sports we found a way to hunt with our families and experience the outdoors. My parents never missed our stuff. Some how my brother and I managed to become hunters without ever hunting a Sunday in PA. And so it is now with my own kids. They are doing sports and hunting. Perhaps it is that limited time afield that makes us thirst for it even more and makes hunting special.

I get it, but tradition is subjective. If things change, people can and will make new traditions to enjoy. I hate to be a downer, but so much of that "deer camp" culture is already gone. My Grandfather took part in many of them while hunting in traditional camps in the northern tier of PA in the 60's and 70's. He will be the first one to tell you that they're mostly all gone. Hunter dinners, pancake breakfasts, BSing at the local sporting goods store... they're no more.

The best tradition is being able to be out in the woods hunting. If we're able to do that one more day each week then I think that's positive.

Last edited:
Agreed on the traditions changing for many, they sure have. Should they move forward with this, hopefully the best interest of wildlife won’t be lost in shuffle. 85 days until spring gobbler ��

I left PA 30 years ago but still co-own a camp near Sheffield that I hunt every few years -- mostly during late Flintlock season. The camp culture has been on the decline for years. Still, I'm sure local VFW's and volunteer Fire Dept's are probably dreading the Saturday move since those were their biggest fund raiser weekends every year. FWIW, there are a lot fewer deer in the "mountain" areas than there were in the 70's and a lot more deer in the farm counties in western PA but the quality of the "big woods" bucks are incredible. This guy was killed behind our camp last year and weighs 180# field dressed. I never saw a buck like this in the ANF growing up. Not even close.
test.jpg

A small victory today as the current bill (now restricted to 3 Sundays per year) just passed the House Fish and Game Committee! Now it's on to the full house for a vote! Now is the time to contact your PA state reps and support this bill.

I grew up in Erie ,PA in the 60's , Started hunting in 68. My uncle had a camp up the hill from Tionesta .about 10 miles past German Hill. It was a big deal in those days in what You called the big woods in 2 previous posts ago. Guys would go down day after Thanksgiving, and then it was a 2-3 day drunk. They need to start the HUNT on Saturday. PA. needs to get with the times. I am talking 50 years ago. I moved to Arizona in 1977, and hunting was 7 days a week and seasons start on Friday. Much better for the guy that can only do a 3 day weekend. I wouldn't even like it there now. As mentioned the better deer hunting shifted to farm properties , IE Private land. It was great fun back iin the day in the big woods. Tons of Guys came up from Pittsburgh and had camps there. Last I saw it 20 years ago that area look like a ghost town of old busses and falling apart camps.. Same with Turkey hunting. It needs to be all day not just till noon. When I did come back for that, It sucked as it rains 70% of the time and no Sunday hunting ,You could come all the way back there and only get to hunt 2 mornings out of a whole week. .The west is the Best. Hunt all day every day and in AZ. we don't have to deal with private hardley ever...Good Luck there Guys..............BOB!

I grew up in Erie ,PA in the 60's , Started hunting in 68. My uncle had a camp up the hill from Tionesta .about 10 miles past German Hill. It was a big deal in those days in what You called the big woods in 2 previous posts ago. Guys would go down day after Thanksgiving, and then it was a 2-3 day drunk. They need to start the HUNT on Saturday. PA. needs to get with the times. I am talking 50 years ago. I moved to Arizona in 1977, and hunting was 7 days a week and seasons start on Friday. Much better for the guy that can only do a 3 day weekend. I wouldn't even like it there now. As mentioned the better deer hunting shifted to farm properties , IE Private land. It was great fun back iin the day in the big woods. Tons of Guys came up from Pittsburgh and had camps there. Last I saw it 20 years ago that area look like a ghost town of old busses and falling apart camps.. Same with Turkey hunting. It needs to be all day not just till noon. When I did come back for that, It sucked as it rains 70% of the time and no Sunday hunting ,You could come all the way back there and only get to hunt 2 mornings out of a whole week. .The west is the Best. Hunt all day every day and in AZ. we don't have to deal with private hardley ever...Good Luck there Guys..............BOB!
The rifle deer opener is going to be on a Saturday this year for the first time. However, we still can't hunt on Sunday so it's Saturday opener, Sunday off, Monday hunt again. Hopefully if this bill passes that will change. My grandfather, from Pittsburgh, was one of those guys! In fact he hunted for years in the same area you describe. You're right, it's not what it once was, but then again what is?

I see You are from Central PA. Where at? My Dad Grew up in Brookville. After the War His whole Family Moved to ERIE. He just passed away in March, HE was 98 Years old. My Hero.............BOB!

I see You are from Central PA. Where at? My Dad Grew up in Brookville. After the War His whole Family Moved to ERIE. He just passed away in March, HE was 98 Years old. My Hero.............BOB!
I'm right outside of State College, but originally from the Pittsburgh area.

t German Hill. It was a big deal in those days in what You called the big woods in 2 previous posts ago. Guys would go down day after Thanksgiving, and then it was a 2-3 day drunk. They need to start the HUNT on Saturday. PA. needs to get with the times. I am talking 50 years ago. I moved to Arizona in 1977, and hunting was 7 days a week and seasons start on Friday. Much better for the guy that can only do a 3 day weekend. I wouldn't even like it there now. As mentioned the better deer hunting shifted to farm properties , IE Private land. It was great fun back iin the day in the big woods. Tons of Guys came up from Pittsburgh and had camps there. Last I saw it 20 years ago that area look like a ghost town of old busses and falling apart camps.. Same with Turkey hunting. It needs to be all day not just till noon. When I did come back for that, It sucked as it rains 70% of the time and no Sunday hunting ,You could come all the way back there and only get to hunt 2 mornings out of a whole week. .The west is the Best. Hunt all day every day and in AZ. we don't have to deal with private hardley ever...Good Luck there Guy

This is because the PGC allowed the over-harvest of deer in those mountains. I grew up near there. Up until the last few years it was hard to see a deer up there. People gave up their camps. I watched it all unfold with my own two eyes....

I have walked and hunted hundreds of miles in those mountains hunting snowshoe hares and grouse with my dogs while never cutting a single deer track.

The last few years the deer population has started to recover. But it will NEVER be what is once was.

south central pa here as well. and personally i am all for sunday hunting. Not really for me, but for the people that can only hunt saturdays.

The Big woods used to be Special with great memories as a kid in the late 60's anteen in 70's till I moved to AZ in 1977. There were so many deer in thlate 60's it was sick. I beleive G & fish Could have ruined it . It was unlimted tags for ever. When I moved that was the only thing I missed about PA. Good luck there GUYS..........BOB!

I started hunting in the early 80's and remember that Friday morning after thanksgiving all the guys pulling out for deer camp. Our property bordered a big farm so I had the whole place to myself, hahaha.

Itll be interesting to see where it goes from here! Im kind of rooting that it goes back to the Monday opener and they have the season roll through the middle weekend with the new Sunday added

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back