Pennsylvania Sunday Hunting

MJE2083

I'm not sure that this has been discussed recently on this forum, but for those that don't know, Pennsylvania is one of the few states left that does not permit hunting on Sunday (with the exception of a few varmint species).

There is currently legislation in the Pennsylvania Senate (just passed committee) that will grant the Pennsylvania Game Commission the ability to regulate hunting 7 days a week. The Game Commission is in favor of allowing Sunday hunting, but they're currently restricted by the legislature.

This recent bill is probably the best chance for change that we have had in a very long time. I urge any of you who hunt Pennsylvania, have considered hunting Pennsylvania, or have friends & family who hunt Pennsylvania, to get involved with supporting this bill.

Thank you

It's about time they get rid of that Draconian law! Good luck and let's hope it gets passed by the entire Legislature and is signed by the Governor.

Darn Quakers!!!!! Lol. I grew up in Potter county and pushed for Sunday hunting my whole life and this seems like the first legit chance for it to pass. Let's hope so I still go back and hunt with my grandpa and family and stay at good ol hunting camp every year. Man I love and miss camp! Not much for "camps" in Idaho. I still get the Game News subscription out here and try to stay up to date.

Good luck! We just got Sunday hunting statewide (on both private and public land) last year in West Virginia.

Darn Quakers!!!!! Lol. I grew up in Potter county and pushed for Sunday hunting my whole life and this seems like the first legit chance for it to pass. Let's hope so I still go back and hunt with my grandpa and family and stay at good ol hunting camp every year. Man I love and miss camp! Not much for "camps" in Idaho. I still get the Game News subscription out here and try to stay up to date.

Beautiful up there in "God's Country". Not sure if you're aware, but the game comm. is also considering moving the opening day of rifle deer season from Monday to Saturday. Some of those with traditional camps are a bit on the fence about that, but it would be a lot better if we had Sunday too.

Beautiful up there in "God's Country". Not sure if you're aware, but the game comm. is also considering moving the opening day of rifle deer season from Monday to Saturday. Some of those with traditional camps are a bit on the fence about that, but it would be a lot better if we had Sunday too.

i read they were talking about moving it to saturday. Part of me likes the idea cause i can take less time off to fly home. Go from thanksgiving dinner to camp and fly home monday. But the tradition of starting on monday would be sad to see go. I still remember as a kid getting the first day off of school and the second day for me and going to camp Sunday afternoon and Grandpa would be in the rocking chair reading the rules and regs booklet next to the fire that he started in the morning while prepping camp. Then he would say ok boys sit down and listen up here are the hunting regs this year. Be sad to see that tradition for kids to go by the wayside. Kids love days off of school.

Gotta love those archaic blue laws.

I hope it passes for you guys but I’m afraid that the farm bureau will shoot it down. Somehow they are pretty strong down there.

Gotta love those archaic blue laws.

I hope it passes for you guys but I’m afraid that the farm bureau will shoot it down. Somehow they are pretty strong down there.

Yeah the farm bureau has been a traditional opponent of this, and they continue to be. The bill actually contains some increased trespassing penalties that are meant to pacify some farmers. There also seems to be a lot of recent opposition from non-hunting hiking groups that really concerns me. A lot of it seems to be based on fear mongering over safety concerns. This group seemingly has nothing to lose by opposing this bill.

Those hiking groups have been fighting it forever. Just to be a thorn in the side. They have all damn year to hike all over the state.

Those hiking groups have been fighting it forever. Just to be a thorn in the side. They have all damn year to hike all over the state.

What really grinds my gears about them is that they act like none of them hike any day except Sunday because they're so damn afraid to be in the woods while someone else is out there with a scary gun. I can almost guarantee that every last one of them has been in the woods while someone was hunting and they never even knew it!

What really grinds my gears about them is that they act like none of them hike any day except Sunday because they're so damn afraid to be in the woods while someone else is out there with a scary gun. I can almost guarantee that every last one of them has been in the woods while someone was hunting and they never even knew it!

When I lived in Maine, I remember a person saying Sunday was the best time to go for a walk in the woods because there were no hunters out and about and it was the safest day to go for a walk. But I recall Sundays were the days I heard the most gunfire from all the neighbors target shooting. And it was all day long from all directions.
Weird.

First time I moved away from PA it was like I went to heaven. My weekend hunting days doubled, almost felt guilty the first time I ever hunted on a Sunday. It's just one of several antiquated laws that state needs to change. Hope it goes through.

The "demands" they make in their plan are just absurd. I've heard several instances of farm bureau members speaking out in support of Sunday hunting, but it seems that the organizations leadership remains opposed. Several farmers that I know are either hunters themselves, or they want every single deer to be killed. It perplexes me how or why farmers would be opposed to this. Of course any of them could choose to control who hunts their land and when, so I really don't understand the problem. I think many of them feel that Sunday is the only day that they don't have to battle with trespassers.

I wish you luck with it. Time to go, to say the least.

Here in Virginia it's mixed (with a few exceptions): legal on private, illegal on public. ?? Go figure.

I lived in PA for 30 years. I used to think that people had a point about not hunting on Sundays. I thought it might lead to more posted property so for the longest time even I was slightly against it...

The reality now is that all of the property is posted these days anyhow and nobody wants you on their land hunting.

Bring on Sunday hunting.

I'm sure they will have to shorten buck season if they do that or the hunters will kill every deer in the area off.

hopefully this goes though for you guys and hopefully it changed in other places like Maine as well. I would love to run hounds in Maine on Sundays

Love it, hate it, Pa’s Monday opener is a tradition. An overwhelming majority, (by the PGC’s own poll) supports keeping the status quo. The BOC, on the other hand, has ignored this, and for the sake of greasing the squeaky wheel has decided to vote it in at the preliminary meeting. All for the mistaken purpose of increasing hunter participation. Newsflash, the hunting population is aging, and the youth aren’t coming en masse to save a bloated, under funded PGC. License sales aren’t going to increase enough to make a difference. I haven’t seen a hunter, other than my 2 long winded nephews, in 10 years where I hike into the ANF. Really don’t think I’ll see one on a Saturday opener either.

Love it, hate it, Pa’s Monday opener is a tradition. An overwhelming majority, (by the PGC’s own poll) supports keeping the status quo. The BOC, on the other hand, has ignored this, and for the sake of greasing the squeaky wheel has decided to vote it in at the preliminary meeting. All for the mistaken purpose of increasing hunter participation. Newsflash, the hunting population is aging, and the youth aren’t coming en masse to save a bloated, under funded PGC. License sales aren’t going to increase enough to make a difference. I haven’t seen a hunter, other than my 2 long winded nephews, in 10 years where I hike into the ANF. Really don’t think I’ll see one on a Saturday opener either.

No Sunday hunting is/was a tradition as well as a Monday opener. Both need to go away IMO. I have yet to hear a good reason other than “it’s tradition” to keep the rifle opener on a Monday. Most of the reasons that people are claiming are laughable really. I say if you don’t want to go out on Saturday then stay home or in “hunting camp” and drink coffee until Monday if you like.

I would rather have Sunday hunting than a rifle opener on Monday if I had to choose though.

If they open up Sundays and move the opener to Saturday they'll have to shorten the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back