Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Moose guns.

Preacher shaner

I am trying to get every thing for a NF moose hunt. So thought i would ask what every body packs for hunting moose. And what bullets they use. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this

My first rifle was a 30-06, shooting 180gr. Have taken moose, caribou, black and grizz with it. Now shoot 300 win mag and 180gr bullets. More effective.

Generally speaking, moose are not hard to kill with proper bullet placement. But often, they don’t realize that they should be dead, and it takes a little time for them to fall down. First I would recommend a premium bullet, that retains a high % of it’s weight. Personally any of the 30’s (.308 Win.) and up, is my suggestion. Though the 6.5’s will do the trick, my wife’s first bull was taken with a .264 Win.Mag. Her most recent was with a .338 Win. Mag. Larger calibers, with proper placement certainly are a plus. memtb

I killed this moose in NF with a .338 Win Mag in 2016. 225 Grain bulletIMG_6067.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6069.jpg
    IMG_6069.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 570
No problem with picture....it seems when I kill something real big (moose), they always die pointed in the wrong direction! :D

My wife’s last moose was also taken with a .338 WM, using Barnes 225 TTSX! memtb

Last edited:
I've killed one and witnessed another killed with a .270 WSM using 140 grain Barnes TSX bullets. I don't think either realized they were hit and both died within 15 yards of where they stood. They seem pretty soft compared to the elk kills I've been a part of.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot one with a .243 and 100 grain partitions, surely wouldn't buy a special rifle for one.

Shot one with 150 gr partitions out of a .308. Tough critters, and I unnecessarily shot it more than once, but it died just the same.

brushcreek, No problem with the pictures. Whenever I kill a big animal, it’s always falls facing the wrong direction :D memtb

WHAAAA!

That 139 GMX worked fantastic. I have seen Alaskan moose though, and would definitely caliber up for one of those buggers. Not sure if the Newfoundland variety are more inline size wise with an Alaskan moose or a shiras.

My thought was that I could be pretty picky with shot placement on a moose, so I wasn't as worried about caliber as I was shot placement. As it worked out, I was somewhat rushed on the shot, but the 7-08 still worked great.

I have seen one moose taken with a 7mm-08 and another with a .338 WM. As has been mentioned, hit them in the right place the first time and they will not go far and either lay down or fall down. They are hard to knock off their feet unless hit in the spine or brain.

ClearCreek

I would put a higher premium on a well constructed bullet in the right place vs. any caliber.

An all-copper Monolithic bullet punches above its weight class, penetrates like crazy, breaks bones, and retains its weight. Otherwise, a good partitioned or bonded bullet like a Partition or Accubond that will hold together when it encounters a rib the size of a 3rd graders wrist, you will be good to go.

I found just plain old lead and tin worked pretty well. As someone else posted, they aren't hard to kill, but it can take a bit to persuade them to lay down.

:)

KjYHbnn.jpg

Watched by dad drop an andersoni (BC) with his 300 Weatherby with a 180 Barnes TSX at 100 yards, and my wife drop a shiras with a 7x57 and a 140 e-tip and both stood for a brief moment before tipping over. Placement and premium construction.

I am trying to get every thing for a NF moose hunt. So thought i would ask what every body packs for hunting moose. And what bullets they use. Looking forward to seeing what comes of this

I reload Barnes TTSX 180gr for .300 H & H for Alaska moose.

Moose can take quite a long time to die when hit multiple times in the boiler room,
which can be problematic near water bodies or rivers.

I always take a rope come-along...also helps to turn them over for butchering.
[video=youtube;nGsDszmfsJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGsDszmfsJ0[/video]

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back