Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Howa Alpine and Howa Kuiu Lightweight rifles

Jacob_07

Hello everyone,

Looking at purchasing a new Howa rifle, I have a line on either of these 2 rifles:

Howa Kuiu Verde 2.0 Lightweight 308

and

Howa Alpine Mountain 308

I can get either one, have never owned a Howa but have read great things, I can get the Kuiu Lightweight for about $450 and some change cheaper than the Alpine.

Is the only difference between the 2 rifles the stock? I have read some rumors this being the case but nothing concrete?

Thanks for any help!

I don't know the difference between the two. I know the alpine has the option for a box magazine or a floorplate.

I have a Howa Mini in 223 and it is a shooter. I think it's a rare moment when one isn't

Found a Alpine Mountain 308 and purchased it, nice rifle, now I guess Howa will come out with something better lol, but in all honesty dont know how you could really improve this rifle for what I want in a pure hunting rifle.

Looks to me like the alpine is a fair bit lighter. alpine shows 5.7 lbs vs the kuiu at 7. While the kuiu is called "lightweight" its not nearly as light as the alpine was. Other than that I am not sure of the differences, both 20" barrel.

That weight difference is all in the stock. Barrel and lightened action are the same. The LAW stock on the Alpine rifle is far superior than the hogue stock.

I have the Howa Mountain Alpine in a 6.5cm. Got a hell of a deal on it from a fellow hunt talker. My wife ended up hijacking it, and calling it her own. I am not a load freak or spending days on end finding out the best load. I can get a consistent group out to 400 with a factory 143 eldx, it hits the gong at 5 and 6 thats about it. It kicked a little much for my wife so, I had Snowy Mountain Rifles put a break on it and I love it. I have taken it on multiple hunts from Black Bear to Elk to Sheep and it has worked well. Highly recommend them for a solid hunting rifle.

That weight difference is all in the stock. Barrel and lightened action are the same. The LAW stock on the Alpine rifle is far superior than the hogue stock.
Kuiu action vs 1500 action?
Ive got a 1500 with the Hogue stock on it and am currently waiting on the right price on an Alpine rifle (its gonna be awhile before the wife permission and a used rifle price match up).
How much weight can I expect to save by switching stocks? And is there a link for the stock that comes on the Ailpine?
Thanks,
Brian

Kuiu action vs 1500 action?
Ive got a 1500 with the Hogue stock on it and am currently waiting on the right price on an Alpine rifle (its gonna be awhile before the wife permission and a used rifle price match up).
How much weight can I expect to save by switching stocks? And is there a link for the stock that comes on the Ailpine?
Thanks,
Brian

The kuiu lightweight has the same action and barrel as the Alpine did. The action has been lightened vs a regular 1500 action. The Alpine came with a Bansner / Legendary Arms Works stock. I don’t remember what the finished weight is of it. But it’s going to be a lot more than the Hogue stock.
I really wish Howa would bring back the Alpine MT rifle. If you find one I’d jump on it.

Only experience with a howa is a 1500 in 223. Great shooter but don't love the stock, forend is too bulky for me. Still a great rifle.

Hate to be the one throwing a curve ball at you but have you considered a mauser m18? That would be my go to cheaper end rifle.

I've not yet spend much time with any Mausers - im familiar with the action on a superficial level. Used Tikka T3's show up at the LGS on occasion and on line and have caught my eye. Will prolly end up holding out for the Howa Alpine Mountain as I my current 1500 has become my go to working rifle.
Thanks,
Brian

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back