Howa Kuiu, worth bedding?

Honestly, I haven’t even shot any groups yet. I did the break-in last time I was at the range but have been busy with work and kids since then.

I think the consensus is that if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Although, the rifle I just bought I did bed it before I shot it... so if you want to do it yourself because you’re a busy body, then why wouldn’t you? Just don’t pay anyone until you know it doesn’t shoot the way you want.

All I've bedded are round actions and all of mine are bedded. If it's a round action, I'd bed it, it certainly won't hurt. Think of the barreled action sitting on the table with just the pillars. It'll shift side to side a bit no matter what. Now put the barreled action into a stock with the pillars and most the side to side movement goes away. Now bed the stock and the side to side goes away completely! I think the good about pillars is that they keep the bedding, wood or epoxy, from compressing under torque. I think that without support of the action, pillar's may not improve accuracy at all. But the better the bedding supporting the action, the more value the pillars have.

I am not sure how the stiffness is of that Houge stock, but if it is like the overmold I once had on a rifle, it is not the stiffest thing out there. I would think adding some bedding material around those pillars would make some amount of difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back