Howa Alpine/Kuiu 308 bullet preference?

Mossy-Back

Those with Howa 308’s with light 20” barrels like the Kuiu and Alpine:

Is there a bullet weight and/or type that they seem to prefer? I will be trying various elk and deer loads to see what mine likes, but curious if others have noticed if they prefer lighter or heavier bullets.

Mine likes the federal power shock 150 for factory loads. I shot core lokt also out of it and it did ok.

Do you reload? If not, I know all Randy shoots out of his is Nosler factory loads. Judging by his shooting videos on YouTube they shoot very well. But yeah, all rifles are different.

I don’t reload... yet. If the Oregon legislature gets their way this year I might be soon. I’ve got some various ammo from Nosler, Federal, and Hornady to try out in it. I was just curious if the 20” barrel with 1:10 twist seemed to prefer lighter or heavier bullets.

A 1:10 is what almost all .308/30-06/300WM are rifled with. You can pretty much pick anything from the lightest to heavy-ish 30 caliber bullets for it. Really, all rifles are different. You can't tell which factory ammo is going to shoot in certain guns just by the brand/twist. I wish you luck though! My guess is that you're not going to have much trouble finding something that's acceptable.

mine really likes 165g trophy bonded tips, prints well under 1" moa, didn't like the 180's at all. but will shoot 180 nosler partition sellier and bellot that is slower 2400fps under an inch. zeroed the rifle with 150g Winchester super x and it shot sub moa also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back