Sleeping pad

MITCHMO

Hey guys, what do you guys run for a late season sleeping pad? I tried out my new kuiu summit and seek stove last night and I wasn’t impressed with my pad. I’ve got a kylmit insulated pad. It’s ok but wondering if I should get a closed cell to put under it, but didn’t like the idea of more weight and bulk. Didn’t really get cold, but just not overly comfortable. It was 15F or so last night and the snow and wind was keeping me awake as much as anything.

I use a thermarest Xtherm. It's made for 4 season use as it has relective baffles inside it to bounce heat back up to you and cold back to the ground. The baffles make it warmer, but also make more noise. It's a great pad and I am very happy with it. The regular weighs 15oz and has an R value of 5.7 compared to the klymit pad of 4.4.

For the wind and noise, I use earplugs and just set the alarm on my watch to vibrate to wake me up.

What is your sleeping bag rated to? Where you wearing base layers or anything else?

Just had a thermal base layer but I cooked myself out of the tent while the fire was going. I just kept feeling like I was sitting on the ground at pressure points. I think I’ll have to splurge and get the Neoair. You ever try the sea to summit insulated inflatable?
5440E4C4-6793-4CD9-905D-31416CBCACAB.jpg

I use the original Thermarest Neoair and throw a Thermarest Z-lilte under the tent to protect the floor. I know it seems odd to carry two pads but the z-lite is used mainly as a glassing pad during the day. I have used that combo down to single digits and never felt like I was losing heat to the ground.

Cool, maybe I’ll try the two pad approach. Having a glassing pad is fantastic anyways. I just ordered the neoair, so when it gets here Saturday I’ll go set the tent back up and give it a try. Low of 8 deg so that should be fun. My wife thinks I’m so stupid camping in the yard during the winter just cause. Cozy inside tho.
0D01A882-F726-4D1D-961E-DC833ADA4130.jpg

I like the X-therm well enough. It's a big bump up in weight to get any other 2.5" pad that can keep up in real world R-value. Two pad system is great too, so long as you're ok with the bulk.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back