Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Just when I’m thinking “these folks in the US have it right about game management” and I see this - protecting a feral. Ferals are one thing Australia is full of and the only animals we are legally allowed to hunt. We have millions of feral horses and donkeys here - have shot many, many hundreds of them. Nearly every grazier (rancher) will say that I can hunt the hogs etc BUT you have to shoot every horse and donkey you see. I have a place where he wants at least 300 shot in the next few months. The meat is very lean and quiet tasty. The French have an industry around horse meat trade.
    Feral horses (Brumbies) provoke an emotional response amongst most people BUT emotion doesn’t protect habitat. They heavily contribute to erosion around water holes and creeks. They’re a menace to graziers, with their aggressive behaviour, will keep cattle and stock away from the prime food and water sources.
    Hopefully your law makers can get it right - we have a saying “if it’s feral, it’s in peril”
    Last edited by OzzyDave; 02-11-2019 at 03:18 PM.

I would be shocked if the political fortitude will ever exist to drastically change the wild horse and burro act in my lifetime. The only hope I see is that folks put pressure on Congress to better fund management of them. IIRC the funding for gathers, the only way to get them off the range, comes from Congress and not through the normal budgeting process.

The BLM is tasked with managing the wild horses and burros. They're allocated funds from Congress (over $80M last year alone!), and the lions share is used to pay for the long-term holding of horses who weren't adopted. It's so bad that the BLM doesn't have money to carry out the necessary gathers to reduce horse populations in the wild.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/wild-ho...m/program-data
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyDave View Post
    Just when I’m thinking “these folks in the US have it right about game management” and I see this - protecting a feral. Ferals are one thing Australia is full of and the only animals we are legally allowed to hunt. We have millions of feral horses and donkeys here - have shot many, many hundreds of them. Nearly every grazier (rancher) will say that I can hunt the hogs etc BUT you have to shoot every horse and donkey you see. I have a place where he wants at least 300 shot in the next few months. The meat is very lean and quiet tasty. The French have an industry around horse meat trade.
    Feral horses (Brumbies) provoke an emotional response amongst most people BUT emotion doesn’t protect habitat. They heavily contribute to erosion around water holes and creeks. They’re a menace to graziers, with their aggressive behaviour, will keep cattle and stock away from the prime food and water sources.
    Hopefully your law makers can get it right - we have a saying “if it’s feral, it’s in peril”
    Dang! I need to come to Australia just to cull feral horses! This would be fun and an amazing way to document load data and bullet performance.
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

YEP - shot them with everything from .223 to .375H&H. Horses are pretty soft skinned and don’t need the big calibres BUT I’ve seen donkeys suck up some good hits with a 30/06. I took my .416Ruger away last trip BUT screwed up big time and left the ammo at home. I was about 1900 miles away when I remembered.

Quote Originally Posted by gouch View Post
    two years ago I was shed hunting and got charged by five of those nasty beasts. The were after my dog but the dog was hiding behind me. I stopped them by acting aggressive, yelling and waving my hat but they still kept circling and trying to get to the dog.
    Try handling a pack string carrying a bull out while a rank stallion is trying to stomp them to pieces.
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

Quote Originally Posted by bobbydean View Post
    I love horses, but hunting them is probably in the future.
    It's more likely they get the right to vote, than to have legal hunting of them. Horse lovers are one of the most rabid form of PETA folks. (Not to say all horse lovers are rabid, like many comments on this thread, most of us can appreciated a good domesticated horse, but when it comes to the crazy anthropomorphism of animals, horses go to the top of this list for some)
    Last edited by VikingsGuy; Yesterday at 06:29 PM.
    Freedom Is Not Free

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123