Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

We could use the Army’s Cavalry to break all the horses. Then issue them to the Corp of Engineers to survey the borders for a wall. When they aren’t needed any more due to lack of funding we can sell them to a foreign government as Army surplus. Then it’s there problem and we will have only of invested 5 billion on the project and still no wall.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbydean View Post

Wonder on the taste.
    Taco bell used to serve horse in their "ground beef" product. Though it was said only served in the UK. If I accidentally got some it was delicious. I helped put many horses down to keep TBell in business during my college years.

On a serious note. If a hunt comes up. I will put my name if for a tag. I will feel different from shooting deer but at the end of the day its just food. Not a pet.
    Last edited by midwesterncrosshair; 02-06-2019 at 09:01 PM.

If you think horses are bad, hunt central and western AZ. In some areas you will see 20 wild burros for every mule deer. They are a plague on the desert, with no solution in sight.

I've never encountered burros but they're covered under the same act - no hunting/killing/harassing etc. No natural predators and essentially no demand to adopt.

Funny thing - you never hear burros mentioned or shown in the animal rights activists arguments, just horses......
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Every time I see someone post that SSS in a hunting forum it upsets me to no end!
    You have not been around many ranchers out West or when I was hunting around Salmon ID and the local Pizza Place with a sign, Shoot a Wolf get a free Pizza. Just Saying

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    What would BHA say? mtmuley
    Fire up the drones and internet scouting service.

Seriously though Ty has some great commentary with Hal on the Cast and Blast podcast.

https://www.stitcher.com/s?eid=58198101&refid=asa
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I've never encountered burros but they're covered under the same act - no hunting/killing/harassing etc. No natural predators and essentially no demand to adopt.

Funny thing - you never hear burros mentioned or shown in the animal rights activists arguments, just horses......
    Horses have been romanticized by American culture, burros are looked at as dumb animals. Burros dont sell PETA memberships

Quote Originally Posted by Addicting View Post
    we will have only of invested 5 billion on the project and still no wall.
    Not a problem, I was told Mexico is paying for the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by jryoung View Post

Seriously though Ty has some great commentary with Hal on the Cast and Blast podcast.

Not to hijack the thread, but the last tid bit of that podcast is something I am looking forward to. Hal alludes to Ruffed Grouse and forestry in eastern forest, specifically the Southern Apps. It will be interesting to see if they explore that further
    " A conservationist is one who is humbly aware that with each stroke [of the axe] he is writing his signature on the face of the land."
    - Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac

www.trueconservationist.com

10. Default

Hope no body hunts Az.!!! Horses are us!
    Hunt elswhere...
    Last edited by dirtclod Az.; 02-07-2019 at 05:58 AM.

The folks here in Maricopa worship the ones along the 347 on the GRIC
    “To me, if you don’t eat it, then it’s not a point of pride”. -Matt Rinella

Foxpro just came out with some new horse sounds...

Horses are pretty so we can't manage them for what they are.

Not a fan of rampant ferals, however a little devil's advocacy may be in order:

How many voting supporters of public lands are chiefly motivated by keeping it public to preserve/protect ferals?
    A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability and beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise. Aldo Leopold.

Quote Originally Posted by MTGomer View Post
    The folks here in Maricopa worship the ones along the 347 on the GRIC
    I think horses are charismaticly the most charismaticist of charismatic megafauna in NA, way more than any predator, folks just go full double rainbow for them.
    Last edited by jryoung; 02-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

I think horses are charismaticly the most charismaticist of charismatic megafauna in NA, way more than any predator, folks just go full double rainbow for them.
    I tend to agree but I'm also curious how they taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsManyBullets View Post
    I tend to agree but I'm also curious how they taste.
    Good I ate some

two years ago I was shed hunting and got charged by five of those nasty beasts. The were after my dog but the dog was hiding behind me. I stopped them by acting aggressive, yelling and waving my hat but they still kept circling and trying to get to the dog.

Round them up and sell them as loose horses to the canners. Use the money made from them to help restore the range they destroyed

I think I'll call Purina and see what they pay for a well fed horse.

I see Ty is a transplant. mtmuley

Quote Originally Posted by ShootsManyBullets View Post
    I think I'll call Purina and see what they pay for a well fed horse.
    $400-$600 around here

I had a horse steak in Germany when I was in the military. It was good.

The problem is a lot like our feral animal issues we have here in South Texas. Feral hogs and nilgai. Market hunting is now starting to make a dent in the populations. Helicopters are used to shoot Nilgai on federal lands by a company that sells the meat at very high prices. Not good news if you like to hunt nilgai on public land, but it is effective in reducing numbers. The feral hogs are hunted by helicopter, but the meat is usually wasted. Because hogs are considered a farm animal, they have to be inspected alive by a FDA inspector before slaughter. Feral hogs are trapped live and sold to approved buyers, but trapping is not nearly as effective as helicopter shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmuley View Post
    What would BHA say? mtmuley
    Only if you use a Patagonia™ fair-trade backhoe that is made using only recycled Yeti™ cups...

Horses decimate desert habitats, even more than other types. In New Mexico, the military bases near Alamogordo were full of horses. During a drought, they were so bad off, that they were dying. I was hunting Oryx and was shocked by what I saw. They eventually spent over 10 million dollars taking them off the ranges. Disgusting waste of money. The game manager on White Sands went out to eliminate some one time, with the help of an MP. Before they got back to base, the horse people were already ragging on them. They never told many what they were doing, so they had a rat in the office.

North of Yuma, Arizona, on Yuma Proving Ground, the horses and burros have destroyed whatever they cannot eat. They foul the water of the native wildlife and/or run them off.

The worst thing that was ever done, was protecting that scourge. They used to be hunted by dog food hunters and it kept them in check. Before the protection, there were people in Yuma that had burro cookouts on occasion-so I am told. Game and Fish did some black ops on them from choppers also, after the protection, but I am sure that is long gone, too. Too many idiots with their cel phones on, to do that.

Outsiders think that those pests are so neat, but don't care, or fail to realize that they are destructive trash. Problem is, that it takes a very big shovel to hide the evidence.
    You did not "seen" anything. You "saw" it.
    Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
    Member of BHA.
    Life Member NRA

Quote Originally Posted by Greyman View Post
    I had a horse steak in Germany when I was in the military. It was good.

The problem is a lot like our feral animal issues we have here in South Texas. Feral hogs and nilgai. Market hunting is now starting to make a dent in the populations. Helicopters are used to shoot Nilgai on federal lands by a company that sells the meat at very high prices. Not good news if you like to hunt nilgai on public land, but it is effective in reducing numbers. The feral hogs are hunted by helicopter, but the meat is usually wasted. Because hogs are considered a farm animal, they have to be inspected alive by a FDA inspector before slaughter. Feral hogs are trapped live and sold to approved buyers, but trapping is not nearly as effective as helicopter shooting.
    Porterhorse steak?

How long would it take yotes to consume a dead hoss?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast