Best time of the season to hunt antelope.

Bedlinedf250

I've never hunted antelope myself. Each time I previously had tried the meat I never liked it until this year. For my elk hunt this year my buddy had brought one of the back straps from his antelope that he had killed earlier in the year and it was awesome. I guess the other ones I had tried maybe weren't processed the best.
So here's my question last year was my son's first time hunting, and at 10yrs. he harvested his first elk. So proud of him for being able to make such a great shot, and I let him know how proud we are of him each time we eat the meat from his animal and let him know how great of a provider he will be. Well he's willing to hunt whatever tag I can get him. Being that youth get better hunts than the adults in some cases I want to try for antelope. Here in NM there's quite a few youth hunts available. So from what Google told me is that antelope rut from Aug-Oct. Most of the hunts have an option of both Aug which is a mature buck or Oct for doe or inmature buck. I know he's dying to have a mount in his room, but I want him to have to best experience possible.
So what's everyone's opinon?

I have never even been to NM, but from what I have seen in Wyoming in the hunts I have been there is that around the first of Sept. I saw way more solo bucks. They were just out feeding by themselves. In October they seem to be herded up more. Given the choice, I'd rather sneak on a solo buck than a herd of 10 does and one buck. Too many eyes ! I'm glad you are doing the research for your son now while he is young. Look at other states and their youth seasons, and also look at buying preference points for him in other states. When my kids were young I could have bought them a lot of cheap points and had some great hunts lined up for them for graduation presents.

The local warden or biologist should be able to narrow down that rut window for you. I know the ones I have talked with in WY have been very helpful. Antelope hunting is a blast. Good luck!

I would not be concerned with the rut in planning an antelope hunt. Any time between the first week in September to November 1 would work. Shortly after November 1 here in northeast Wyoming, some bucks will start shedding their horn sheaths and by Thanksgiving most will have one or both shed.

There is a lot of antelope rut activity in mid to late September.

ClearCreek

I don’t think time of season matters for pronghorn. I’d get the tag that best fits your needs versus being concerned about pronghorn behavior.

Agree, plan a trip that works for you and it'll work for the critters

My daughter shot a antelope on a youth hunt. Went all jerky and was good. In southern New Mexico , all reports are the meat is not worth eating, I have eaten the jerky.

States north, it is the preferred game animal.

I think the heat in Southern New Mexico does matter.

Bigfins area in the NE quadrant is much cooler.

Changes in the proclamation this year; not applying.

The meat is great if it is taken care of. I hear guys complain all the time about Antelope tasting terrible. What they forget to realize is they are hunting them in early October when temps can still be quite warm. They shoot a couple of goats right away, throw them in the back of the truck/trailer and drive around the rest of the weekend while the rest of their party tries to fill their tags. Then they drive a few hundreds miles back home with the goats still piled on top of each other in the back with hides on. It is no wonder it doesn't taste good. I shoot them, pack them out, and get them on ice in the cooler immediately. This past fall on my way home I passed a guy on my way home from hunting with his antelope buck wrapped in a blue tarp (hide still on) on his trailer. He had MN plates, so I knew he still had a 3-4 hour drive home minimum. Who knows how long that thing was wrapped up like a burrito:)! It about made me sick. My wife won't touch the mule deer I shoot each year, however, she has no problem eating an Antelope steak!

My daughter shot a antelope on a youth hunt. Went all jerky and was good. In southern New Mexico , all reports are the meat is not worth eating, I have eaten the jerky.

States north, it is the preferred game animal.

I think the heat in Southern New Mexico does matter.

Bigfins area in the NE quadrant is much cooler.

Changes in the proclamation this year; not applying.
"In southern New Mexico all reports are the meat is not worth eating" You have no no clue what you are talking about. I sure hope nobody who sees your post believes that nonsense

I think the choice comes down to draw odds and your schedule. I’ve only been on 1 antelope hunt and I waited until the 3rd week in the season in October to go because it lined up best with my schedule. I was successful but that time of year the antelope were grouped up in large herds which did make stalking them more challenging but still very doable.

I will respectfully disagree on hunting during the rut. You can certainly kill an antelope at any time during the season, but hunting them during the rut is fun! Lots of action. I really don't understand people not liking antelope meat. It's incredible. I think it's very important to get the meat cooled ASAP! The hide on an antelope is a very good insulator and every antelope we shoot is skinned and quartered within 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Hunt the rut if for nothing else but the experience.

Any other time is going to be fun, but it'll be hard to beat what he'll see if you hunt the peak of the rut. Out of all the antelope tags I've had, last year was the first time my schedule panned out to hunt during the peak rut, it was an absolute treat. I had my 7 yr old boy with me and he was beside himself with the action. The bucks were on the move all day, although it was difficult to stalk a buck due to the rut movement, it was a great experience. Once we had a buck down, he was chasing a doe like crazy over a huge area, we got him broke down and on ice asap. As usual, he was just as tasty as other antelope we've had. Don't make it all into jerky, you can do a lot with what you get. Antelope is one of our favorite taste wise, and who doesn't like to hunt in good camping weather! We hunted the second week of season and during the week days. We saw more people fishing than hunting.

I hope your schedule allows you to hunt the rut, but I bet it'll be a good hunt no matter what. Hope he draws a good tag!

You won’t have a problem anytime during season. A bigger problem this year will be the fires.. good luck

I've grown fond of the mid week season openers in Wyoming. Less crowds and it's possible to get withing a couple hundred yards with a rifle. 80 yards with a bow on spot and stalk is a chore. Water hunters see 30 yards regularly that time of year. All in all, I'll stick with the openers or wait till late season.

Not a huge fan of hunting the rut here.
Bucks are constantly on the run, tending doe or running off smaller bucks.
I prefer just after the rut or before. Bucks are more relaxed and not chasing every other pronghorn all over the plains.
Not sure if lactic acid build up is a real thing or not but I would rather take an animal that was not running all over the country before my shot.

The rut is very interesting to watch though.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back