Caribou Gear

Idaho Big Game Season Proposals 2019-2020

The biggest changes I see in store are for the bear seasons, possibly opening some to general tags and of course giving landowners plenty of Landowner preference tags to sell, also many more A elk tags in Sawtooth, and the removal of the 1 mile rule from the Weiser River elk units. As always good for some, not so good for others. The lowering of Moose tags was coming anyway.

They’re ruining the only controlled bear hunts in the state, changes sponsored by Judy Boyle. She sponsored the great trespassing bill. I responded that I did not support any of the proposed changes.

Went to the IDFG Southwest region open house in Nampa this evening. IDFG made it very clear they have an obligation based on ID state law to prevent depredation- be it from elk/deer or bear...

Last edited:
I am going to try to make it to the meeting in Coeur d'Alene next week, but might miss due to work. It looks like the Panhandle deer/elk changes are mainly related to the controlled hunts on/within 1 mile of private land to specify ag land. Overall, I like the idea of targeting the antlerless deer/elk near private land where they cause more issues. Expanding lion/wolf opportunities seems good as well.

They’re ruining the only controlled bear hunts in the state, changes sponsored by Judy Boyle. She sponsored the great trespassing bill. I responded that I did not support any of the proposed changes.
I agree

Went to the IDFG Southwest region open house in Nampa this evening. IDFG made it very clear they have an obligation based on ID state law to prevent depredation- be it from elk/deer or bear...

We can debate how to stop depredation. I very seriously doubt bears are deprecating livestock to the point that the entire season needs adjusted. If there are problem bears, they can be killed on a one off basis similar to wolves.

The southeast residents have spoken loud an clear about too many NR's in the southeast units. They'll most likely be cutting 215+ NR deer tags in 73 (previously an unlimited 1st choice). In addition, 184+ NR elk tags will be switched over to resident tags in 66a-1.

You Idaho R's go ahead and getcha what you want. I'll accept your leftovers with open arms and hundred dollar bills :)

Cutting NR tags is financial suicide for IDFG.

That is a fact. However, something has to be done. There has to be a solution everyone can live with. It is way to crowded and Resident Hunters are getting pushed out of the areas they have hunted for years. And, might just be me but it seems there is no respect for other hunters anymore. Randy touched on this in one of his episodes when people who saw him and knew he was there and hunted on top of him. Happens a lot now.

Or should I say draw tags are great...I love em. I had fun when I drew that hunt, didn’t kill a bear. Went to a random spot for spring bears last year OTC and saw 14 bears in 3 days...I had more fun :)

Nice work!

I commented on the proposal and suggested landowner tags for landowners with 100+ acres. Non-transferable tags, ONLY valid on private land.

Maintains the controlled hunt for the public. Eliminates the delay to take care of problem bears. Hopefully is proactive against landowner's selling access and selling landowner tags.

It is way to crowded and Resident Hunters are getting pushed out of the areas they have hunted for years.

Interesting. I've hunted 73 for over 25 years and my experience is that I see fewer and fewer hunters most years. This year I hunted two days (no need for more since my wife and I both filled our tags) and only saw one other hunter. Maybe I've got the last best spot in the unit?

I see they are making my chances of drawing a rifle tag in the 2 zones I bow hunt in 10% less for non res.... that's nice!

When you say way too crowded do you mean in one area or overall?

Non-res are limited to 10% of the tags right?

More A tags in the sawtooth? what a joke.

Agreed. Also, some of the elk season and tag expansions in the units I looked at outside the Sawtooth zone make me wonder if landowners are pressing for major herd size reductions - what I once heard politely referred to as "artificially low" objectives. I realize elk can cause damage and financial loss, but am not convinced large increases in hunting pressure far from private land is a good solution.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back