Man kills mountain lion with bare hands!

Don't jog or walk those trails with reflectors on your sneakers as it attracts them and makes them want to attack

Gotta link. I'm not doubting that the cat was small, I just remembered the initial story I read said 60 - 80lbs.

Here's an excerpt from the story on Feb. 15th.

Kauffman was the 22nd person attacked by a mountain lion in Colorado since 1990, Parks and Wildlife said. Three of the attacks were fatal.

A necropsy report said the beast that attacked Kauffman was male, four or five months old, weighing 16kg to 18kg.

He's lucky it was just a kitten or he would have been hurt for real.

Sure at the time of the attack, that cat seemed huge to him fighting to keep his intestines in his body. First elk hunt we ever went on was in Colorado in the girls claims north of the roan cliffs before it got shut down. My brother assured me if a cat did attack me I probably wouldn't feel much cause it'd sneak up on me from behind and break my neck so quick I wouldn't know what hit me then be dead.

Lucky he didn't have earbuds piping in some good old Jonny Denver's rocky mountain high.

Cool to listen to him tell the story and tip of the cap for him being able to live through it without to much bodily harm.

This story made it on the local news in Australia a few nights ago. Showed exerts from an interview and images when he was in hospital. A very big pucker moment for sure.

I saw the initial reports that estimated it at 80 lbs, so I was thinking a 2nd year cub, but the new info is that it was probably closer to 40 lbs (apparently it had already been scavenged by other lions by the time the CPW found it), so definitely this year's cub. A little less amazing, but still extremely rare and interesting story. Anyone who thinks it would be easy to take it down should try what NYyotekiller is talking about. I for one do not think it would be easy. And remember he was wearing running clothes so he basically had no protection at all.

Still impressive. Most house cat owners can attest to the ferociousness of a 10 lb house cat if the cat wants to be. 40 lb mountain lion? Yikes!

What do you think Pinky weighs?
[video=youtube;okZW3_5Gr4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZW3_5Gr4s[/video]

Last edited:
I would put my mouser cat up against any chump from this board in hand to paw combat. Ol Ricky would have any of you crying for your mothers in short order, he is a ruthless SOB who hasnt been to the vet in over 5 years because you would need raptor gloves to handle him. If he didnt claim your life in short order the resulting infections would finish you off. This guy was extremely lucky.

Having seen the reaction after tugging the tail of a 25 lb spotted kitten one time, I’m still impressed.

Not something I’d want to hold onto.

No doubt that if it had just been the neighbors stray dog, a well placed "warning shot" would be the remedy for tense situation...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back