Caribou Gear

Dogs

Have had a lot of great dogs growing up: springer spaniel, standard poodle (yea, a poodle, very intelligent dog) shih-Tzu, and a redbone coonhound that have all passed on....so many memories. Here is a picture with me and the springer when I was a child (not much has changed ha ha, still camp at this campground a few times a year)

27973194_2051762211508500_1695446218114056180_n.jpg

Eventually got a dog of my own, a black lab. A great companion with lots of drive. A pretty good hunter, could be a lot better if she had a more competent trainer.

Sayner at Johnson Lake (3).jpg

Here she is with my mom's 2 dogs, great friends

Dogs at Lake Superior State Forest.jpg

Just added a new lab to the pack. Long story short I got him for free. He is 8 years old, friendly guy....needs to lose a few pounds though

Tank on Johnson Lake.jpg

I'm a big fan of heelers as well. Josie is my second and has been at my side for over 8 years now. She's a heck of squirrel retriever, though I don't spend much time going after them anymore. She's still my number one scouting partner though. Gives me someone to talk to in the backcountry.

A friend has a Heeler/Australian Shepherd mix. I believe this will be the next dog for our family. His dog is a devoted, loyal and protective sort of every family member and a diehard shed hunter! Sticks with him on the trails and enjoys routing along with horses in the Bob, etc. A fantastic dog!

Here is a link to one breeder of this select mix: https://www.practicalpaw.com/blue-heeler-australian-shepherd-mix/
Blue-Heeler-Australian-Shepherd-Mix-1.jpg

Last edited:
My brother has an aussie/ heeler cross. She's shaped a little more like the barrel chested heelers but she's a great dog as well.

Both of them are fiercely loyal and very protective. Mine always tries to position herself between me and whoever else is standing around, frequently sitting right on my foot.

munsterman

perfect first post and a beautiful dog.

And thanks again to all who had posted --beautiful dogs one and all.

Sytes, you will not be disappointed. We did not personally own one, but had a friend that owned one( he has passed now--both him and the dog ) and that dog was a work horse. Very good dog

This was Cash. He was a dog who survived puppyhood with parvo, a dog who never quite figured out the line between intensity and insanity. Lost him 4 years ago at a fairly young age, but I was lucky to keep company with him. Other than retrieving his favorite thing was bourbon by the fire. I always dipped a finger in my glass and let him lick it off. image.jpg

I'm now sharing my family with this giant oaf. He's a leaner, anways under foot, and generally a dog. Resized952017042995124912.jpg

I've always had at least 2 black labs my entire adult life.
[video=youtube;Xr-qnyrND14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr-qnyrND14[/video]

This is "Precious". Best hunting dog ever. Runs by birds and they fall over dead. No shot up meat. Another positive: He can see 360 degrees at once.
I have been looking to get an artist to memorialize him in oil painting... no takers yet. Ideas?

Attachments

• Ugly dog.jpg
    Ugly dog.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 83
Like you Europe, I've had a lot of dogs over the years and it was their personality that made them. Each dog had his/her own speciality for what we do.
Right now we have a black mouth cur but with a lot of other things thrown in. He is one of the most natural hunters we've ever had. He'll do anything for you. To get him to use his nose as a pup we got him in on some forest grouse. He's one of the best grouse dogs I've ever been around. He'll also guard us like no tomorrow too. He is way to smart and understands everything we say. He's almost figured out how to drive the UTV. He just can't open the door though.

My first dog in college was a Blue Heeler/Corgi cross. Great dog who followed me for many miles in the Bob Marshall.

My current dog, a Deutsch Drahthaar.

B461DEA1-21CC-42C7-8860-3319DFB40556.jpg

A couple of members here know me well. We have hunted together, broke bread together and had a few adult beverages together and they know of my love for dogs.

I can never not remember not having a dog. My dad had a variety of dogs over the years as did my husband and I. Blood hounds, Labrador, setter's, coon dogs, golden retrievers, brittany's, even a german shepard. Loved the foxhounds in Ireland but we never owned one. But if you like horses and dogs the fox hunts in Ireland are a lot of fun.

Anyway, I have been asked many times my favorite, and that would be impossible, because many times, it was the personality of the dog that made him what he/she was.

But, if I was to choose one dog to hunt upland, water, use for following wounded big game animal blood trails ( where legal ), that was small enough and quiet enough to work from a canoe or a small boat, and also compatible with children ( family dog ), it would be a Boykin.

What is or was your favorite breed of dog for hunting that was also a good family dog

FB_IMG_1549506139801.jpgreceived_2222643887948412.jpg

Attachments

• received_2222643887948412.jpg
    received_2222643887948412.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 61
LCknRZm.jpg

qclHjMQ.jpg
Beautiful dog and bird

Thanks Northwoods! I did a lot of research before deciding on a Munsterlander. I'm mainly a duck hunter but wanted to get into upland and this breed seems to fit that need. I've always wanted a pointer. NAVHDA has been really helpful with training especially for a newbie like myself.

Thanks Europe! I came across this thread and couldn't resist joining up. Lots of great looking dogs on here! Not so sure about "Precious" though. lol

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back