Dogs

Europe

A couple of members here know me well. We have hunted together, broke bread together and had a few adult beverages together and they know of my love for dogs.

I can never not remember not having a dog. My dad had a variety of dogs over the years as did my husband and I. Blood hounds, Labrador, setter's, coon dogs, golden retrievers, brittany's, even a german shepard. Loved the foxhounds in Ireland but we never owned one. But if you like horses and dogs the fox hunts in Ireland are a lot of fun.

Anyway, I have been asked many times my favorite, and that would be impossible, because many times, it was the personality of the dog that made him what he/she was.

But, if I was to choose one dog to hunt upland, water, use for following wounded big game animal blood trails ( where legal ), that was small enough and quiet enough to work from a canoe or a small boat, and also compatible with children ( family dog ), it would be a Boykin.

What is or was your favorite breed of dog for hunting that was also a good family dog

Last edited:
Britt's and Lab's for me. After these guys are gone I'll just adopt rescue dogs.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_3281.JPG
    1-IMG_3281.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 472
Gotta be the Golden Retriever for me. But I have seen a few Boykins that were definately the definition of versitle dog.

Attachments

• IMAG1347.jpg
    IMAG1347.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 461
I've had the pleasure to hunt over a wide variety of dogs (no Boykins yet sadly) but my favorites are the lab, especially my 75lb bundle of muscle and sinew called Boone
IMG_8263.jpg

I have a Blue Lacy. He is far from an all around dog, he won't retrieve anything. For following a blood trail or treeing a squirrel, he's the best I've ever had. He is also loyal almost to the point of being annoying. Around the house, he won't leave my side for a minute. I love that dog.

Hank is making me a fan of pudelpointers!

My main bird hunting buddy has one of these. Skin and bones but a good dog I have never heard of or been around until a few years ago when he got one. I am very partial to a Brittany. My wife won't have any other dog now.

Started to talk about my dogs. First dog took about 2 paragraphs. I was a newborn when I got him. I am now approaching 66. A book was going to be written and I passed. No bird dogs, but great friends. My best, pal,, love him forever was Chad. Big Aeridale (100 lbs.) thought he was a lap dog. He was my lap dog.
His funniest quirk; would always lean on you when standing beside you. Best memory: had knee surgery and Mom had banished him to the back yard. She thought I was well and let him in the house and saw me in the recliner. Me, the dog, and the recliner were rolling in the floor.

Thunderstorm. had a heart attack. I wrapped my arms around the old cuss until he died. Several hours of tears!1

I don't have enough experience with various breeds to make an informed statement about one over another... but I can say that sometimes you just get lucky and find a wonderful friend and a great hunting buddy.

Gus turned five this year, I'm excited for 2019 and more adventures with the little pocket dingo...

gus.jpg

I’m a Brittany guy. ATTACH]94164[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• C5A46051-77B1-4448-A950-0B4442A6E30E.jpg
    C5A46051-77B1-4448-A950-0B4442A6E30E.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 369
I currently have a Beagle and a Border Collie.
AF30C531-1950-4F23-B6C6-32497CBF0741.jpg
4247741B-5241-44FC-84C4-9DEA7F59A5D8.jpg
By far my vote for best family dog goes to the Beagle. My better half is a veterinarian and can attest to the same. Never met a mean Beagle in all my days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back