Trump Taps Former Oil Lobbyist David Bernhardt to Lead Interior

To those expressing their anger, I ask, "If you are given three choices; Rob Bishop, Liz Cheney, and David Bernhardt, who you going to pick?"

All industry lapdogs and make no apologies about it. To the next level of sorting, two are devout anti-public land zealots, and one has committed he will work to increase and improve access and keep public lands in public hands.

You don't get to bring forth other choices. This is who you get to pick from. You probably don't have final say, but whoever it is, your mission fulfillment requires you work with the selected candidate. Who you going to pick and are you going to do what you can to work with them when possible?

It is easy to be on here or FB or other platforms and make claims about how bad this group is or that group is, etc. Speaking from experience, groups, including those bearing the wrath of anger here, don't have the luxury of doing that. They have to make due with whatever choices are available. Those groups have to hold working relationships with whoever is appointed. They could take their toys and go home until they get the "perfect" person at DOI or USDA or USFWS. And if they did that, in the interim, they would have no say in the matters important to their members and their mission. You have to be in the game to make a difference. Odds are the hand you get dealt is not a royal flush, rather a stiff that you hope to parlay into a better situation.

If people want to see improvement, I would suggest they start looking at what more they could have done to change the make up of a Congress that is most often times hostile, at their best, only disinterested, toward conservation and public land topics. More would be gained by committing to better outcomes in future elections. The current administration is completely disinterested in public land and conservation policy, offering those policy issues as rewards to Congressional allies who will help them on topics that the administration is interest in. Until then, expect the groups we all belong to be forced to make the best of less than perfect situations.

I can assure you that being on the inside isn't all rainbows and buttercups. It requires making inherently imperfect decisions and knowing some will be pissed at what is needed to give voice to your mission and your membership. Yet, if you are going to try your best to further your mission, you engage in the ugly process of policy making and take your beatings.

Well stated Randy, it is a very challenging environment for the Conservation oriented NGO’s.

There is still time on the clock so we are fortunate to have some good leaders waging the political battle for us. They need as much help as we can give and voting in the correct candidate is one thing we all can do!

Someone said above that Bernhardt's been running DOI since he landed. It's true. He's just.more honest about where he's coming from & smarter than the former SOI when it comes to getting caught.

Things aren't going to change here. Oil & gas will be the priority, wildlife & habitat will continue to take it in the shorts.

Lobbyist are picked for numerous positions all the time.... You can tell a presidents priorities by the people he wants to surround himself with.

To those expressing their anger, I ask, "If you are given three choices; Rob Bishop, Liz Cheney, and David Bernhardt, who you going to pick?"

All industry lapdogs and make no apologies about it. To the next level of sorting, two are devout anti-public land zealots, and one has committed he will work to increase and improve access and keep public lands in public hands.

You don't get to bring forth other choices. This is who you get to pick from. You probably don't have final say, but whoever it is, your mission fulfillment requires you work with the selected candidate. Who you going to pick and are you going to do what you can to work with them when possible?

It is easy to be on here or FB or other platforms and make claims about how bad this group is or that group is, etc. Speaking from experience, groups, including those bearing the wrath of anger here, don't have the luxury of doing that. They have to make due with whatever choices are available. Those groups have to hold working relationships with whoever is appointed. They could take their toys and go home until they get the "perfect" person at DOI or USDA or USFWS. And if they did that, in the interim, they would have no say in the matters important to their members and their mission. You have to be in the game to make a difference. Odds are the hand you get dealt is not a royal flush, rather a stiff that you hope to parlay into a better situation.

If people want to see improvement, I would suggest they start looking at what more they could have done to change the make up of a Congress that is most often times hostile, at their best, only disinterested, toward conservation and public land topics. More would be gained by committing to better outcomes in future elections. The current administration is completely disinterested in public land and conservation policy, offering those policy issues as rewards to Congressional allies who will help them on topics that the administration is interest in. Until then, expect the groups we all belong to be forced to make the best of less than perfect situations.

I can assure you that being on the inside isn't all rainbows and buttercups. It requires making inherently imperfect decisions and knowing some will be pissed at what is needed to give voice to your mission and your membership. Yet, if you are going to try your best to further your mission, you engage in the ugly process of policy making and take your beatings.

Give me Cheney. There's only about a year left before the next election. I'm sure the gov't will be shut down for part if not most of that time, and then WY gets a do-over to replace her. Considering who they elected governor they might do better. The last person I want is someone who supports extraction full throttle AND actually knows how to work the system.

The TCRP supports him as well and said he has been good to work with. If he supports public lands and hunting, I don’t care who he used to work for.

Give me Cheney. There's only about a year left before the next election. I'm sure the gov't will be shut down for part if not most of that time, and then WY gets a do-over to replace her. Considering who they elected governor they might do better. The last person I want is someone who supports extraction full throttle AND actually knows how to work the system.

"Give me Cheney"? OK, you can have her. She's the absolute worst. "Drill Baby Drill" Cheney is her daddy and mentor.

"Give me Cheney"? OK, you can have her. She's the absolute worst. "Drill Baby Drill" Cheney is her daddy and mentor.

My point was that from what I've seen she's not actually very good at passing her agenda. Combine that with there not being a lot of time, and that she'd be butting heads with a D running the House Natural Resource Committee I don't feel like she'd have much success doing anything. Then WY could elect a better rep.

Re Big Fin,
Point taken. When there really isn't a good choice there is value in pragmatism. Thanks for the clarity.

Last edited:
Big Fin makes great points and is obviously more knowledgeable than us. However, why cant Boone and Crockett and TRCP simply have "no comment."? To proclaim "we applaud Bernhardt" and "it is great news for hunters and public lands" is complete BS and dishonest towards the folks you are representing. They could have simply stated "Bernhardt was nominated, we look forward to working with him." In conclusion, we don't need to be hostile, but I don't think we need to bend over and kiss butt either

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back