Caribou Gear

2018-19 Coyote Trapline

guf54

Well the fur is starting to breakdown on the coyotes in our area so my brother and I called it quits on the trapline for the year. In total it was our best year yet but we did fall a little short of our 100 coyote goal...we got 92. Anyways I snapped a final pic of our coyote catch but unfortunately work kept my brother from getting in the pic.

027.jpg

Attachments

• 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 298
Nice. I have heard coyotes are actually paying decent this year. I guess they are using them as trim on these canada goose coats that are all the rage.

I have heard that coyotes are paying quite a bit better than decent. Like $150 each or so.

Yes western coyotes are bringing over $100 easy, and Canada Goose does buy a huge amount of them. These Central Nebraska coyotes however are worth more around the $50 range on average. We have some high dollar ones here but not many and most fall into the semi-heavy grading class. The western heavy coyotes have a heavier coat and are generally more pale in color which is what the coat makers are looking for.

Yes western coyotes are bringing over $100 easy, and Canada Goose does buy a huge amount of them. These Central Nebraska coyotes however are worth more around the $50 range on average. We have some high dollar ones here but not many and most fall into the semi-heavy grading class. The western heavy coyotes have a heavier coat and are generally more pale in color which is what the coat makers are looking for.

The guy I was talking to on Friday (Mark Boyce) was from Alberta. I didnt' realize that there was so much east-west geographical variation pelt value.

Good luck.

The guy I was talking to on Friday (Mark Boyce) was from Alberta. I didnt' realize that there was so much east-west geographical variation pelt value.

Good luck.

The colder it gets the better the fur is.

You run foothold's or snares?

I run with snares for the coyotes and footholds for the bobcats. Footholds work great but I prefer snares primarily because they are such a maintenance free trap. They stay functional through just about any weather type and are definitely much easier to set when the ground is a giant frozen block. If I trapped more in November I would use more footholds but I usually don't get started until around Thanksgiving.

Good luck.

As a rule of thumb, fur gets better as you move north and west.

But any given state can numerous different sections of fur.

Saw this on another site, looks like an opportunity to beat back some liberals.

**NTA Alert - Opposed to HB366 **

URGENT CALL TO ACTION

Thursday, February 7, 2019 - 8:00 A.M. - Room 317
The Anti-Trapping bill will be heard!!

We need to pack the room!! Please arrive in ROOM 317 by 7:00 a.m. to secure a seat. This will be the only bill heard that day and is expected to have a lengthy discussion.

If you attend:
Park in the free parking garage on the west side of the capitol.
Arrive at 7:00 a.m.
Be prepared to be present for 2-3 hours
Call and take 5 friends
Call and email all legislators everyday leading to Thursday!!!!

If you are unable to attend the meeting in person please send emails and make phone calls to all the legislators in House Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Committee.

HB366 Wildlife Protection & Public Safety Act (Anti-Trapping Bill)

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/19 Regular/bills/house/HB0366.pdf

Or cut and paste

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Sessions/19 Regular/bills/house/HB0366.pdf

If passed, this bill will directly impact the welfare of hardworking men and women of the middle class who rely on the sale of furs. Trappers also contribute to the growth of game species by helping regulate the numbers of predator species.

Contact the following legislators and STRONGLY OPPOSE HB366! When emailing, type "Opposed to HB366" in the Subject line. Please be respectful when contacting legislators.

House Energy, Environment & Natural Resources Committee

Representatives Emails:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Representatives Phone Numbers:

McQueen (505) 986-4423
Rubio (505) 986-4227
Akhil (505) 986-4464
Anderson (505) 986-4450
Ferrary (505) 986-4338
Montoya (505) 986-4758
Romero (505) 986-4254
Sarinana (505) 986-4227
Scott (505) 986-4450
Small (505) 986-4438
Stansbury (505) 986-4336
Strickler (505) 986-4220
Townsend (505) 986-4758

National Trappers Association | 2815 Washington Ave, Bedford, IN 47421

Yes this bill needs to be shutdown for sure! This bill outlaws all trapping on public land in New Mexico. A large percentage of New Mexico is public land so this would pretty much outlaw trapping in half the state. And I guarantee if passed they won't stop there...just ask Colorado and California.

Heck of a haul ! Hope you get a good price on them.
Coyotes been singing our praises since we can't catch them, lol.

Good job!. I wish I knew how to trap them, having a hard time calling them in this year.

Good job! Lots of work in that pile of fur. I quit trapping years ago. The mange took them out of the areas where I used to trap and they have not really recovered.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back