Caribou Gear Tarp

Another Wyoming Unit 113 Post

Just can not let it go can you...

Also, disregard the comment made by our CO member that made the statement regarding he and BuzzH saying it's okay to park along the Interstates. It is NOT Legal (See closed thread) and to the best of my knowledge BuzzH has never said it's legal. However, many times he has said he does it anyway, like several others have stated just because they have never seen it enforced---big difference in legal and taking a

Thanks for all the info Gents. I may check out the unit a bit as I drive through Wyoming, on my way to another unit.

Just can not let it go can you...

Also, disregard the comment made by our CO member that made the statement regarding he and BuzzH saying it's okay to park along the Interstates. It is NOT Legal (See closed thread) and to the best of my knowledge BuzzH has never said it's legal. However, many times he has said he does it anyway, like several others have stated just because they have never seen it enforced---big difference in legal and taking a

You got that right! I will never "let it go" when comments like that come up because the law is spelled out in black and white right in a state statute posted on these forums. If someone knowingly violates it, then they're on their own. It's those newbies just going out west on a first trip, and there are lots of them, that I'm trying to help that don't know what the law is since it's a very important piece of information. You would be surprised at the number of positive PMs I receive thanking me for that help as a part of their internet scouting.

PS: If you quote me from now on, put up the entire quote!

Last edited:
You got that right! I will never "let it go" when comments like that come up because the law is spelled out in black and white right in a state statute posted on these forums. If someone knowingly violates it, then they're on their own. It's those newbies just going out west on a first trip, and there are lots of them, that I'm trying to help that don't know what the law is since it's a very important piece of information. You would be surprised at the number of positive PMs I receive thanking me for that help as a part of their internet scouting.

Count down to lock..3

Pretty sure I've seen antelope in that area while driving through there. Whether public or private not sure. Looking at the map it looks like plenty of public land if you don't mind walking. And having guys with access through private driving by you.

What about the BLM road between Light Plant and the old highway looking road? Street view doesn't show it as being gated.

Topgun, I absolutely appreciate where you are coming from and I agree that providing accurate information is important. Along those lines I called the Wy State Patrol Headquarters and spoke to Lt. Barker. I specified this exact location in 113 off of I-25 and ask what his position was regarding parking here. He said this law was put in place to protect motorists, the statute says it's illegal to park between the fence and the centerline of the highway. However, if there is a dirt track that leads to the edge of the fence or to a gate it is permissible for someone to park and leave their vehicle in the pullout right next to the gate. He said you are absolutely not allowed to park anywhere on the paved surface or ditch and that the department does not want people to drive through the grass or sage brush which could damage the area and/or start fires.

There is nuance to the enforcement of this particular law, which allows for hunters to access public land. If someone is looking to hunt a unit with difficult access and parking off the interstate is the only option for access I encourage them to call the state patrol and ask about that particular stop, further whenever parking off the interstate use caution. Road hunting an interstate is not a good idea, but parking may be a way to walk-in hunt specific areas.

WY State Patrol Admin Number for these kind of questions:
(307)-777-4301

Example of a safe, and approved pullout.
pullout.jpg

Last edited:
Wait for it....

Oh, no, you and the good Lt. are both wrong, the law is black and white.

Wait for it....

Oh, no, you and the good Lt. are both wrong, the law is black and white.

Not to step in between John and Max over here... but as the Lt. said, it's illegal but not enforced if done safely in specific spots.

grumpyoldmen.jpg

I get a kind of sadistic joy in watching this pissing match on repeat. However, it’s getting pretty old and I don’t think there is a better answer than wllm1313 provided. Took the time to call, got an answer, and provided good info for another member. Nice wllm1313!

All I can say is that I'm glad I saw this thread before applying this next year. My top secret access points are now general google knowledge. I'll probably look elsewhere (or is that just fake news?).

All I can say is that I'm glad I saw this thread before applying this next year. My top secret access points are now general google knowledge. I'll probably look elsewhere (or is that just fake news?).

I agree, I've noticed a spat of unit specific DFery...

Not to step in between John and Max over here... but as the Lt. said, it's illegal but not enforced if done safely in specific spots.

View attachment 94170

No argument at all on your post and I give you kudos that you were smart when you called to get the poop on it, including being given the other reasons the law was enacted since it's that agency authorized to enforce the law. I've actually seen a few other spots like you C/Pd that look similar to that pullout that they would probably look the other way. I appreciate you looking into that particular one, as well as Lt. Barker statements agreeing with me on the basics of the law itself and that it's anywhere inside the fence lines!

Last edited:
GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back