Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ever had a revolver cerakoted?

No, but I’m curious how it would work. I think so long as you didn’t do the front of the cylinder it should be fine. The devil would be the disassembly process, no?

Doesn't look like it's a good idea. That Metalife treatment looks interesting. I am looking for a higher durability coating for my hunting carry gun then just blueing. I treat it pretty bad sometimes. mtmuley

hard black chrome, had a single six done a long time ago, never had a problem

Yes! And I'm very happy with the result. I bought this old 357 mag S&W Model 19 a couple of decades ago. It was used then and the finish was pitted on one side, like maybe it had been left in a damp leather holster for a while. The gun worked well, but didn't look so good. I was told by a couple of gunsmiths that the pitting was too severe for a polish & blue job.

So... A couple of years back, two or three, I had it cerakoted. My goodness! The smith also replaced some worn internal parts, corrected the timing. It's simply terrific! Looks good, works great. I've fired at least a thousand rounds of 38 from it since, and probably a couple dozen 357's.

vn9Fqk6l.jpg

Regards, Guy

Now - who's to say what it will look like with further use?

I might become unhappy with it, but at this point, it looks good and works great.

Guy

Yes! And I'm very happy with the result. I bought this old 357 mag S&W Model 19 a couple of decades ago. It was used then and the finish was pitted on one side, like maybe it had been left in a damp leather holster for a while. The gun worked well, but didn't look so good. I was told by a couple of gunsmiths that the pitting was too severe for a polish & blue job.

So... A couple of years back, two or three, I had it cerakoted. My goodness! The smith also replaced some worn internal parts, corrected the timing. It's simply terrific! Looks good, works great. I've fired at least a thousand rounds of 38 from it since, and probably a couple dozen 357's.

vn9Fqk6l.jpg

Regards, Guy

...looks good, I'd've expected a pronounced turn mark at the least. Like that model.

Not revolver, but a semi auto. Turned out good. Its a durable finish. Also a lot of finishes to choose from, practically endless.

...looks good, I'd've expected a pronounced turn mark at the least. Like that model.

The lack of a turn mark is interesting. Guy, what does the end of the cylinder look like? Hot gasses burning off the cerakote? mtmuley

Oh, that photo was taken right after it was coated. There's a light turn mark on the cylinder now. I've got some more recent photos of it:

At the range, after firing a lot of 38 handloads w/cast bullets:
SKFRwwwl.jpg

The line on the cylinder is hard to see here too, but it's present:
5dFfXaIl.jpg

I still think that a hard chrome finish or maybe that "Black T" or Robar or some of those other finishes would likely prove to be more durable on a revolver. But the cerakote is doing okay for me, for now. If it ever gets to looking real bad, I'll post up those photos too!

Regards, Guy

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back