Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Backpack Organization

freu1chr

I have a mystery ranch metcalf and it doesn't have hardly any pockets which most of you know so how do you guys organize your pack so its not such a mess inside? I was also wondering what are some of the things that you guys put in your pack that most people forget about?

pull outs would fit the bill. One for a kill kit, cooking kit, hygiene kit and so on.

Came in hoping to see a new 501(c)(3) had formed

HAHA me too.

To the OP: I use a few stuff sacks like these, for my: kill kit, stove/cup/gas, 911 bag.
Otherwise the 3 pockets on the Metcalf keep all the stuff handy that I need immediate access to.

I have a med kit in a waterproof bag and the rest of my small items in a kifaru sack. Beyond that if you have so much stuff in your pack that it’s getting disorganized it probably means you should be leaving stuff at home.

Stuff sacks and/or freezer zip lock bags. I think the best way is to organize according to need. keep items easy to reach you think you will be using more than once, spotter, tripod, water, snacks, etc. Kill kit and other single use stuff not usually urgent to get out.
What do I try to not forget-extra batteries and mountain money

I use an outdoor research backcountry organizer for all the small odd stuff and my emergency stuff, a small first aid kit, kill kit. Food, headlamp, and first aid kit go in the talon on my seek outside pack. Main bag has paracord, the organizer, kill kit, extra water, spotter, and clothes. Once you get used to the lack of pockets and using ditty bags to keep things organized you will prefer it, I know I do.

I drink a lot of crown royal...... have found their little felt bags come in very handy for organizing. Can't seem to find a bigger one then a gallon though...... that's probably not a bad thing.

Kifaru pull outs are great. I also use a few silnylon stuff sacks from sea to summit on occasion. I have used quart size freezer bags in the past before I got the pull outs.

Load your pack and and wear it on a walk around your neighbor Hood. You may find that a certain stuff sacks in a spot in your pack makes things a little uncofortavke, or there is noise coming from it. Come home and then repack it moving things around. Do this until you find how everything likes to ride in your bag and where you want everything to be.

It's really annoying going on a long hike and having a piece of gear rub and make a squeaking sound and it being so far in your pack that you don't want to repack everything on the side of the trail, but after about 2 hours you end up doing just that :mad:
And finding that one piece of gear fast and easy if it's always in the same spot.

I like to pack in game bags (Kuiu zipped bags are nice for this), dry bags, and stuff sacks. All stuff I can use in camp. I love ultralight dry bags. I hang my food in them. I even haul water and wash clothes in a dry bag.

I pack my "survival" stuff in a small stuff sack I made out of blaze fleece which doubles as a neck gaiter, hat, and pillow case. It's easy to spot in a dark bag, and feels different, and has a spare headlamp, fire starter, etc in it.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back