Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Tips for Shortening Boyd's Stock

skyfire

In trying to decide on a rifle for my 12 year old son, we've made a few trips to the local stores and handled several rifles. He keeps coming back to the Tikka's. We looked hard at the compact model, but the LOP is still a bit too much. We're considering getting the Tikka with a Boyd's stock (maybe a classic or FW thumbhole model) and shortening the LOP down to around 12". Any suggestions or cautions in shortening a stock down this far?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use a Chopsaw. I cut a boyds stock to around 12" LOP for my wifes tikka, no issues. Make sure you calculate the thickness of your recoil pad and you'll need a smaller size, heel to toe. Boyds does offer different LOPs.

That’s a good reminder on the size of the recoil pad after shortening the stock.
Did you have to work around the cheek piece to cut the stock down to 12”?

I just measured hers, turns out it's 13.5 (don't know why I thought it was 12). I did some extra measuring though. With a 1" pad the shortest LOP you'll be able to get without getting into the cheek is 12.5". If you are handy with a file, you can do some shaping of the cheek if you need to go shorter.

I believe the Mossberg bantam rifle is adjustable fro 12"-13" ,comes with a scope for less than $350.00.
Don't know how many calibers it is offered in. I know it comes in .243 for sure.

You might consider a chassis system or the Boyd's AT-ONE which has an adjustable LOP. As Millsworks says, there are options from the factory nowadays. I believe both Ruger and Savage also have adjustable factory stocks available as options.

Thanks. I’ll check out the Mossberg, Ruger, and Savage options to see if any pique an interest. I’ll start thinking of how to go about reshaping the cheek piece just in case. Thanks again all.

Perhaps you could find a used stock that would fit the rifle and you could cut that, or the current one, and then save the other for later when he grows. As it would be a temporary issue, you could save the bother of making a new recoil pad and, instead, lace on a leather covered pad. There are several available and spacers can be put into them to lengthen them as he grows until his is ready to leap to the conventional length.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back