MT Elk

OzzyDave

Just looking for feedback that I’m on the right track here.
OK my setup for my upcoming hunt is:
Mathews Halon32 - 28.5” set at 71lb
Eaton Axis 5mm with 125gn broadhead (yet to determined) comes in at right on 500gn. A little light for my liking but it sure spits them out. I like 550gn for our hogs etc here.
I’ve basically copied the setup my buddy used last year and he had a successful hunt, so I’m assuming I will be OK.
Braodhead choice to date:
Slick Trick Vapor Trick
Montec G5
VPA 3 blade
All fly same point of impact as field points to 40 yards.

I normally use a good Aussie 2 blade but all suggestions to date have been to use a 3 blade for Elk.

looks good...don't over think these kind of things. Elk aren't made of steel...slip one in "the pocket" and forget about velocity and penetrating power, etc. Focus on practicing accurate shots at varying angles.

FWIW a ton of guys are using 2 blade broadheads of different designs...I prefer 125grain Magnus Stingers with the small bleeders and I have absolutely no idea of my velocity or official arrow weight. I know how they shoot to 70yards though 40 seems to be where I'm most proficient

Last edited:
Yeh been doing plenty of practice. The outfitter I used for bear last year in Canada told me to just use what I use on hogs here. I know the setup shoots accurate enough. Hope to get some “testing” done with our red deer rut coming up in a couple of months.

A two blade works great. Just make sure it's sharp. I personally will be using iron wills this year. Your setup sounds great. I love a 500+ grain arrow traveling at decent speeds (250+). But the most important thing is you know you shooting limits and can put the arrow where you want to. Other than that good luck!

Definitely sharp. I give them a light run over on a fine diamond stick - shave hair easily. Been doing some noise comparisons the last few weekends - very scientific - “hey mate go down range and listen to this for me will you” - sort of stuff.

These are the 125gn heads I normally use. I put a Montec in for perspective. The 2 on the left (Northern Broadheads - Aussie Company) I’ve been using pretty much the last few years. The one far right is also an Aussie head (Outback Supreme) single bevel and fly like darts.
I like the advice “don’t overthink these kinda things”, I normally say if ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Killed everything from big hogs to buffalo with these heads so I know they are strong enough. Thing is I’m a kinda a gear junky and like new stuff - it’s an addiction.
35782AEC-8EF9-45CE-B2F9-10C205FE0685.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back