Bedding my hells canyon long range?

Badger_55

I am wondering if you guys feel that it is worth me finding someone to bed my stock on my 300 win mag hells canyon? If so are there any good places you recommend?

I agree. If you have meticulous attention to detail, it is very doable as a DIY project.

I benefited and got a lot of valuable information, materials and technique, from Gunblue490 on Youtube. He has a couple real time glass bedding videos.

If it aint broke dont fix it. I cant imagine it would be worth it. Mine is a Speed, and it shoots better than me.

Probably can out shoot me as well. I have only had it for a year now. I was having issues at 550 seemed like I was throwing a few shots way right. The issues came when using my snipepod though. I don't know if it's pressure from me or the snipepod on the stock? It attaches to the sling stud. I like it cuz it fits in the horse scabbard but I do notice some stock pressure with it.

inconsistent accuracy issues would be a sign that you may have a bedding issue. Like POI change at different shooting days. Being off at a certain distance and consistent wouldn't be a rifle bedding issue.

See if the barrel is still free floating when using the snipepod, inconsistent barrel contact/pressure can cause POI change.

I have one that shoots like crap, it is broke. 300 WM Hells Canyon Long Range. Yes, I check the action screw torque values. No the scope or mounts are not loose. It was made in 2021 and I bought in 7/2021. No I haven't tried to shoot without factory muzzle brake. So its not the recoil, with muzzle brake it shoots like a 6.5 CM. Can't reload any ammo that shoots better than 1.25 MOA, tried many types of bullets and powder and seating depths. Next, I will be trying to shoot without muzzle brake, but from what I read that shouldn't make a difference. So my question is as the original OP's question, has anyone improved the accuracy with bedding job?

I have one that shoots like crap, it is broke. 300 WM Hells Canyon Long Range. Yes, I check the action screw torque values. No the scope or mounts are not loose. It was made in 2021 and I bought in 7/2021. No I haven't tried to shoot without factory muzzle brake. So its not the recoil, with muzzle brake it shoots like a 6.5 CM. Can't reload any ammo that shoots better than 1.25 MOA, tried many types of bullets and powder and seating depths. Next, I will be trying to shoot without muzzle brake, but from what I read that shouldn't make a difference. So my question is as the original OP's question, has anyone improved the accuracy with bedding job?
Have you tried a different scope?

A proper bedding job isn’t going to make it shoot any worse. It’s fairly simple to bed a rifle at least just the recoil lug and tang area.

A proper bedding job isn’t going to make it shoot any worse. It’s fairly simple to bed a rifle at least just the recoil lug and tang area.
This. Get some Devcon and look up stress free pillar bedding. It’s a great tutorial article.

Have you tried a different scope?
Yes I have, its not the scope. It is the rifle. I wrote Browning before I bought and asked if this rifle would be an MOA gun - told them specifically that was what I was looking for. The answer was yes. I have been reloading for 30+ years and haven't been able to come up with a load that shoots sub MOA. I emailed Browning again a few weeks ago and told them it was not an MOA gun and then they said they guaranteed a 2 MOA gun. I had it narrowed down to 3 different 300 WM's and chose this Browning because of that email. I have seen in a post (somewhere) that shooting without the muzzle brake, his MOA was cut in half - I was hoping I didn't have to go that route because this will kick like a mule. The action screws were not torqued properly from the factory, but I checked that out before I shot and corrected that. This is my first Browning and I am torn whether to throw good money after bad. I have a Savage 300 WSM that shoots .75 MOA all day long. Heck, I think I have about 20 bolts action rifles and I paid more for this one than any of them. Only worse shooting rifle I have bought was a Weatherby Vanguard. I'm just highly disappointed in this Browning.

Good news is I got 3 deer last year, 2 with the 300 WSM and the other with my trusty 6.5x55 (Ruger M77). I was hoping somebody had experience with bedding this Browning.

have seen in a post (somewhere) that shooting without the muzzle brake, his MOA was cut in half -
I would definitely shoot it without the brake. If you determine it to be that, it’s easy enough for a smith to either replace the brake or recut threads, whichever is causing the issue.

If the brake isn’t the issue, bed the action. If that doesn’t work I’d sell it

B25B161E-4376-4851-8DCE-1910D25F63FB.jpeg
Try Hammer bullets. This is my 300wm Hells Canyon Speed. It is completely stock, with muzzle break. I’m a non lead guy so the gun has only had mono bullets through it. It shot Federal coppers decent before I had time to load for it. Then I spent an entire off season trying to make Nosler etips work and could never get it below 2 MOA. Next year I switched to hammers and will never go back. This photo is day one of development. I hadn’t even started with seating adjustment yet. I’m so pleased with the gun and bullets with it that I just bought another x-bolt in 6.5prc. It’ll be making its first trip to the range on Wednesday. 😃

Yes I have, its not the scope. It is the rifle. I wrote Browning before I bought and asked if this rifle would be an MOA gun - told them specifically that was what I was looking for. The answer was yes. I have been reloading for 30+ years and haven't been able to come up with a load that shoots sub MOA. I emailed Browning again a few weeks ago and told them it was not an MOA gun and then they said they guaranteed a 2 MOA gun. I had it narrowed down to 3 different 300 WM's and chose this Browning because of that email. I have seen in a post (somewhere) that shooting without the muzzle brake, his MOA was cut in half - I was hoping I didn't have to go that route because this will kick like a mule. The action screws were not torqued properly from the factory, but I checked that out before I shot and corrected that. This is my first Browning and I am torn whether to throw good money after bad. I have a Savage 300 WSM that shoots .75 MOA all day long. Heck, I think I have about 20 bolts action rifles and I paid more for this one than any of them. Only worse shooting rifle I have bought was a Weatherby Vanguard. I'm just highly disappointed in this Browning.

Good news is I got 3 deer last year, 2 with the 300 WSM and the other with my trusty 6.5x55 (Ruger M77). I was hoping somebody had experience with bedding this Browning.

Just curious. What bullets and powder have you tried?

My question is how far do you plan to shoot? I assume it will be a hunting gun, if so 1.25 inch groups will theoretically allow you to hit a 10 inch target out to 800 yards. I too feel like all my guns have to shoot 1/2 inch groups, but sometimes they just don’t. I have a .243 A-Bolt that will not do better than 1.5 inches no matter what I load. More than a few deer and antelope thought they were safe out there at 450-550 yards, but they made their way to my freezer. Just my opinion and observation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back