WY statute on interstate highway parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
The law says ON the highway. It’s there so that if you stop in the middle of the road they can write you a ticket. I highly doubt it has anything to do with pulling over the side of the road. It did not say “right of way”.

In the definitions “Highway” includes the area within the boundary lines.

31-5-512 clearly shows that there are circumstances in which you may park “alongside” a roadway or highway.

31-5-920 gives further rules for lawfully parking upon a roadway, highway, or adjacent shoulder.

What are you doing? Trying to get people to stop hunting at your favorite spot whose only access is by parking next to the highway?

You can't just read that line and come up with what you stated because the boundary lines means the fences, not the lined highway itself and that's why people need to know All the facts. That is why all the Interstates have the same signage saying "Emergency Parking Only", so I hope that helps you out on your false assumption. Your last questions are laughable to say the least and I'll just consider them more garbage to stir the pot!

Last edited:
Not even worth the effort to make popcorn anymore... Sheesh. Boss man must be busy.

I regret starting this thread. I just thought it would be helpful to provide the information about the actual statute and the penalty, since I had never seen it posted previously. I think this thread should be locked. It is no longer useful.

You can't just read that line and come up with what you stated because the boundary lines means the fences, not the lined highway itself and that's why people need to know All the facts. That is why all the Interstates have the same signage saying "Emergency Parking Only", so I hope that helps you out on your false assumption. Your last questions are laughable to say the least and I'll just consider them more garbage to stir the pot!

Unfortunately “Boundary lines” is not defined within the document. There is however some context within the definitions of streets and intersections that suggest that “boundary lines” probably does not mean from property line to property line or fence to fence. I cited two other paragraphs which discuss legal parking in the areas that you claim you cannot legally park. One of them mentions that local government entities may erect signage controlling the parking along highways.

How may people in this thread have been ticketed for parking on the shoulder?

I regret starting this thread. I just thought it would be helpful to provide the information about the actual statute and the penalty, since I had never seen it posted previously. I think this thread should be locked. It is no longer useful.

I knew it would come to this, but it's not your fault or mine when we're just trying to pass along useful information about a law that aren't familiar with it. I stated in the first few posts what would happen again since it always does and it's usually the same pot stirrers that cause it. Then I'm blamed when all I try to do is explain the law along with answering questions that come up when I respond to them because the questions are appropriate when a person that asks hasn't properly interpreted exactly what the law and definitions mean. I agree the thread is dead now and people can do what they want. I just sincerely hope that anyone that violates the law doesn't cause an accident

^^^ you’re not explaining the law. You’re misinterpreting it. You either have an agenda, or an unfortunate misunderstanding.

Unfortunately “Boundary lines” is not defined within the document. There is however some context within the definitions of streets and intersections that suggest that “boundary lines” probably does not mean from property line to property line or fence to fence. I cited two other paragraphs which discuss legal parking in the areas that you claim you cannot legally park. One of them mentions that local government entities may erect signage controlling the parking along highways.

How may people in this thread have been ticketed for parking on the shoulder?

Only a person that can't read and understand what "Emergency Parking Only" means would even make your post! I'm done and people can keep posting whatever they care to, but there is absolutely nothing to read into that signage other than what those signs say and no matter what you come up with to try and change it!

Only a person that can't read and understand what "Emergency Parking Only" means would even make your post! I'm done and people can keep posting whatever they care to, but there is absolutely nothing to read into that signage other than what those signs say and no matter what you come up with to try and change it!

I already covered that. The law has a provision for local governments to add signage restricting parking. That means you can’t do it where there is a sign prohibiting it. Why would the law even mention legal parking in the areas you’re discussing if it’s not legal? Read the whole document. Did you read the definitions, 31-5-512, and 31-5-920?

CDnhunter.

You did not do anything wrong. You asked a legit question. Unfortunately, we have an interstate highway expert that is super touchy.

I saw your title. Happy! The expert responds in the same manner every time on this topic.

Thank you!

CDnHunter: If you actually don’t know, here’s my answer. The document does have some ambiguity. It may be intentional in case someone did something they clearly shouldn’t but a too narrowly defined law would have left a loophole, or it may be because they never thought someone would get so tied up over the difference between parking in a moving lane and parking on the shoulder. Whatever the case, if Wyoming literally intended for no one to park on the side of a road ever then it would be common knowledge to Wyoming residents, and people would be ticketed as reliably as for speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. This thread would be filled with people who had been ticketed or knew someone who had been ticketed. Officers who failed to turn in enough tickets for the offense would be suspected of spending more time on this forum than looking for traffic violations. Because none of that is taking place, as well as from the context a lot more of title 31, the law seems to be written to avoid impeding traffic or dangerously entering/exiting the flow of traffic. . If there isn’t a sign and you’re not in a moving lane, you’ll almost certainly not be ticketed.

Thanks for the actual information. Hadn't ever thought about parking next to the fence being illegal. Ive seen it so much in NM and CO. Also thanks for the jokes. I think this is my new favorite thread, ranks up there with how far is too far, is it ethical to..., or voting for a particular party etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back