WY statute on interstate highway parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baloney! One way is legal and the other isn't under the Wyoming Statute and what you did WAS NOT a legal access point, so distances traveled have no bearing on this matter and to think there's no difference in them is preposterous!

If you're told by a state employee that it's legal, then I think that gives a bit of leeway. Now that I've heard that it's not, I will not access that way. I'm not from WY, but if I was I may have a conversation with legislature to try to get that law clarified in order to provide more access for public land hunters. Wouldn't you?

If you read the law quoted, it says you can't park on the highway. Only an idiot would do that. But how about the ditches that are a good 30 yards from the highway? Maybe there's a legal definition of this, but it would probably be good to clarify this before calling something baloney or preposterous, ay?

Edit: Just read your above post about it clarifying between the fences. Got a link to that by chance? I'll contact the person who told me incorrectly and let him know.

Last edited:
I make sure to always drive the speed limit. I've never rolled through a stop sign either. Didn't drink till the day I turned 21. Only cross the street in a cross walk. Have always worn my seat belt.

We do it often. I just pull all the way over to the fence and have never had a problem. So much land is accessible from the interstate and I take advantage of it.

I have done this several times in WY. I get way off the edge of the road so does not cause vehicles to slow thinking I am about to pull back on the roadway. I put a piece of paper on the dash with my cell phone number that says I am nearby hunting. So far, no warnings, no tickets. And, I have out of state plates on my SUV so perhaps I am more likely to get the attention of LEO than a local vehicle.

If you're told by a state employee that it's legal, then I think that gives a bit of leeway. Now that I've heard that it's not, I will not access that way. I'm not from WY, but if I was I may have a conversation with legislature to try to get that law clarified in order to provide more access for public land hunters. Wouldn't you?

If you read the law quoted, it says you can't park on the highway. Only an idiot would do that. But how about the ditches that are a good 30 yards from the highway? Maybe there's a legal definition of this, but it would probably be good to clarify this before calling something baloney or preposterous, ay?

Edit: Just read your above post about it clarifying between the fences. Got a link to that by chance? I'll contact the person who told me incorrectly and let him know.

First off, IF he was told that by a State Biologist, it's a shame that he was given incorrect information. No, I wouldn't try to change that law because it involves EVERY Interstate Highway in all 50 states for safety reasons. That's exactly why there are a lot of "Emergency Parking Only" signs along all of them, including the three in Wyoming. Further, the law states "on any controlled access highway" and the definition if YOU look it up means the entire area from fence to fence, not that you can park in the ditch or along the fence to climb over and go hunting. If you have time, look up where it's legal and not legal to shoot in the G&F Regulations and there is even that definition there in it that you must be over the fence outside the right-of-way any time there is a fence along ANY public highway. However, if you park safely off those roads you're allowed to cross over the fence directly onto public land, as we're only talking about the Interstates. It's a shame many obviously don't know the law and even worse that ones that do would violate it just because it might not be strenuously enforced just like the speed limits aren't in many areas.

God I hate the off-season. How long till there's something to hunt besides small game and waterfowl?

Good info, park at your own risk. It's clearly illegal but rarely if ever enforced. Can we all just get along? Especially the big two offenders on here that I have a TON of respect for.

Some people are here to share information. Some people (buzzh) just want to make the same tired joke over and over. Each to his own I guess.

Don't be offended, you just unintentionally kicked of an argument that happens 2-3 times per year. For the record it is usually pretty entertaining, and often leads to locked threads.

FWIW, there are a few pretty dialed in folks who actually live in the Cowboy state, that are worth listening to.

First off, IF he was told that by a State Biologist, it's a shame that he was given incorrect information. No, I wouldn't try to change that law because it involves EVERY Interstate Highway in all 50 states for safety reasons. That's exactly why there are a lot of "Emergency Parking Only" signs along all of them, including the three in Wyoming. Further, the law states "on any controlled access highway" and the definition if YOU look it up means the entire area from fence to fence, not that you can park in the ditch or along the fence to climb over and go hunting. If you have time, look up where it's legal and not legal to shoot in the G&F Regulations and there is even that definition there in it that you must be over the fence outside the right-of-way any time there is a fence along ANY public highway. However, if you park safely off those roads you're allowed to cross over the fence directly onto public land, as we're only talking about the Interstates. It's a shame many obviously don't know the law and even worse that ones that do would violate it just because it might not be strenuously enforced just like the speed limits aren't in many areas.

Dang. You're more of a hammer and nail kinda guy, aren't you? Sorry for bringing this up.

Don't be offended, you just unintentionally kicked of an argument that happens 2-3 times per year. For the record it is usually pretty entertaining, and often leads to locked threads.

FWIW, there are a few pretty dialed in folks who actually live in the Cowboy state, that are worth listening to.

Not on this subject where they openly tell everyone that they flaunt a law that's on the books, but mtmiller is right. If people read this and the other threads on this subject and now know it's illegal they can decide for themselves and that's always my intention when this is discussed.

Interesting that this topic raises such passionate responses....

If its against the law then I've got no problem with highway patrol citing people for doing it.

However, it's no more illegal (summary traffic violation) than speeding on I-90, having a blown out tail light, or an expired registration. Don't see too many folks breaking out the pitchforks in regards to hunters speeding on the interstate, now do we?

Proceed at your own risk, nothing to get all excited about.

I've never heard this before...must only be an issue where an adjacent landowner is trying to keep the public off the public land? If you are parked well off the Interstate - so as to not cause a safety issue...who cares? Frankly, depending on access, a low chance at a $230 fine might be a better deal than $500-1000+ for a trespass fee. Its nothing more than a traffic violation...its not like you are trespassing or poaching.

I had a friend I hunted with in Montana who was a Highway Patrolman. I know for a fact he and most of his coworkers really didn’t care so long as you didn’t cause a traffic hazard in doing so.

I've never heard this before...must only be an issue where an adjacent landowner is trying to keep the public off the public land? If you are parked well off the Interstate - so as to not cause a safety issue...who cares? Frankly, depending on access, a low chance at a $230 fine might be a better deal than $500-1000+ for a trespass fee. Its nothing more than a traffic violation...its not like you are trespassing or poaching.

FWIW - this is a fairly common freeway-related law - it’s not just about safe parking, it is also about vehicles leaving and entering the road in unexpected places.

(d) The highway department with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place official traffic-control devices prohibiting, limiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where in its opinion stopping, standing or parking, is dangerous to those using the
highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic. No person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions indicated by the devices.

Could this statement be taken as the possible intent of the law. A vehicle parked far enough off the shoulder is not going to interfere with the Free Movement of traffic. And re-entering the roadway could be done safely if the re-entering vehicle considers on-coming vehicle spacing.

Thoughts? and maybe this is why you do not see every vehicle ticketed for this possible infraction.

"Controlled access" is also in the statute. Not all highways are controlled access and the ones that are have signs stating as such. I believe the interstates fall under controlled access.
I have a question in to the head of the Wyoming Highway patrol on this issue, we'll see if he responds and gives insight.

(d) The highway department with respect to highways under its jurisdiction may place official traffic-control devices prohibiting, limiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where in its opinion stopping, standing or parking, is dangerous to those using the
highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic. No person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions indicated by the devices.

Could this statement be taken as the possible intent of the law. A vehicle parked far enough off the shoulder is not going to interfere with the Free Movement of traffic. And re-entering the roadway could be done safely if the re-entering vehicle considers on-coming vehicle spacing.

Thoughts? and maybe this is why you do not see every vehicle ticketed for this possible infraction.

See post #35 right above yours. It's not as much the parking itself, but slowing down or speeding up to get off and on the road where you want to park that is the big problem. People are going 70 and 80 mph on these highways and don't expect others to be slowing down or speeding up other than at designated interchanges or where there are signs for road construction, etc. That's why those highways have minimum speeds to even drive on them to avoid rear end collisions. Yet, there are still collisions due to people driving below the limit while many others are speeding over the posted limits and rear ending them.

Last edited:
I only park along the interstate long enough to get a few shots off so I feel pretty good that they won't cite me for parking illegally. We're good about speeding up to merge back into traffic.

If you really want to avoid a ticket just strap your rifle to the underside of the hood then pop the hood when you pull over. With some MacGyvering I'm sure you could turn the F-150 into a solid rest for some roadside hunting. Anyone driving by will just see a guy with his hood up doing some engine repairs.

"Controlled access" is also in the statute. Not all highways are controlled access and the ones that are have signs stating as such. I believe the interstates fall under controlled access.
I have a question in to the head of the Wyoming Highway patrol on this issue, we'll see if he responds and gives insight.

Yes, it's the Interstate highways we're talking about. You can safely park well off of the state highways and go hunting on the adjacent public land IF there are no signs stating parking is illegal. The LEOs that don't ticket vehicles for what we're talking about are flat out not upholding the law since they no more than an ordinary citizen can pick and choose what laws they will or won't comply with. I would hate to see any of our compadres listed here as deceased for this type of infraction, but you never know, so why violate and take the chance of a ticket or even worse such as causing a fatal accident. These rear end collisions happen on the highways a lot more than most people probably realize!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back