Yeti GOBOX Collection

Deer ages

wytex

Thought I would start a thread on deer that have been aged by lab tooth analysis.
My 2017 buck was aged at 8 1/2 yrs from the CWD endemic area in Wyoming. I'll find my past aged deer as well to post.

DSCN1123 (1080x810).jpg

8 years. Eastern Montana

1m93c52.jpg

I know its hard to discredit science..... but do you think these ages are bang on to your own observations? Only reason I ask, is that most look like 4-6 yr olds as I would assume they would pack on some serious mass from 6-8. In our neck of the woods( Alberta) we get some in that age class on private land but few make it to 6-8 yrs of age, I would say 90% are shot by the time they are 5.

My ages are based on tooth aging in the lab so I'm very confident in the results, with their margin of error. The G&F labs results have been proven to be very accurate on our deer.
We have a dead head that we have pics of the live buck and knew him for most of his life and the tooth aging results were spot on.
Unfortunately , this place and area is not really known for mass .

I will add these bucks were harvested on private land that has a very controlled harvest. The entire area is undergoing some research on age classes and CWD so more deer were surveyed for age this fall. Those results will be interesting.

Last edited:
4.5 Ontario whitetail 10174.jpg

I'm also blown away by the 6-8 year olds here....my experience is all whitetails and generally 3.5 is considered mature and it's hard to find one much over 5.5

I would have thought mule deer would generally have shorter life expectancy due to winter kill, etc,

I have a friend that shot a big public land three that was aged using the cross section of his teeth at the ripe old of 12. I have his sheds form his tenth and eleventh year and he only lost a few inches per side.

Took this buck on opening day of archery 2005. Cross section of his teeth aged him at 4 1/2. I have the sheds form the year earlier. He added over twenty inches of antler and 6 or 7 inches of width.

Attachments

• art's deer.jpg
    art's deer.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 135
Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back