25-06imp

brettlapp

Hey folks,

I'm BRAND new to reloading.. I just got a hand me down single stage press, with all the fixin's ....I'm looking at buying the die for my rifle, since I've only been able to find it on ONE website, and it's over 100$ with shipping..

Is there anyone that can recommend anything for this round? (25-06imp) I need to order bullets, powder, and primers still... and I'm looking for possible first test loads to start with.. I need to do a lot more research before I actually complete a bullet and fire it, but I was looking for some like minded individuals with some helpful insight to this particular round.

Thanks all!

If it helps, I'm in Eastern Montana if anyone wants to come show me the ropes! :D

Buy Hornady or Nosler reloading handbook and read the ‘how to reload’ at the beginning of the book. That will give you a jump start on the basics.

Redding 80422 FL 2-die set .25-06 40 degree improved is available at Grafs and Midsouth for 89+ship.

ABC's of Reloading is an outstanding reference as well.

There are a bunch of great Youtube channels to get into. Here's the guy that got me started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lDL9tUnfVQ&list=PLTTrjvDib94l4NNyug0efjXsXokBksmRa

You'll definitely need a book from somewhere as well. The Hornady (and probably all the others) book will give you a bit of a rundown at the beginning which may help. Having a buddy that can take you under their wing would also help a lot.

If you are forming from 25-06 brass, you can use the 25 cal neck sizing die as well, rather than a FL sizing die. I like the Hornady New Dimension NS dies, personally. I have a 7mm Mauser Ackley Improved and I use the NS die and seating die for the 7mm Mauser. No issues at all.

Starting loads should be somewhere in the middle of the pack for the 25-06 Imp. You'll see about a 10% increase in velocity with the improved, but your case life will be much better, with less trimming. Good luck, and there's a wealth of reloading knowledge on this board.

But check the die if you can first! My 7mm-08AI wouldn't fit in my 7mm-08 neck sizing die. Had to get an improved one.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker, and Ebay, Amazon. Usually if above $50 at Grafs, you get one price shipping, except for hazmat.

You should be looking at 25-06 load data. Start low-mid powder charge and ladder test.

I'm in PA, or i'd offer to show you how to reload.

Best of luck! Stay safe!
If it doesn't feel/seem right, it isn't!

But check the die if you can first! My 7mm-08AI wouldn't fit in my 7mm-08 neck sizing die. Had to get an improved one.

Keep an eye on Gunbroker, and Ebay, Amazon. Usually if above $50 at Grafs, you get one price shipping, except for hazmat.

You should be looking at 25-06 load data. Start low-mid powder charge and ladder test.

I'm in PA, or i'd offer to show you how to reload.

Best of luck! Stay safe!
If it doesn't feel/seem right, it isn't!

Good point. The Hornady die I have is for 7mm neck sizing, not specific to a cartridge.

I have loaded the 25-06 AI before and the load I had great luck with was using 59gr. of Reloader 25 powder with 115 and 117gr. bullets.
Alliant powders are the brand I have switched over to for many years now. IMR was my most used brand when I first started reloading, but it became hard for me to get in my area. So I tried some Alliant powder, and not only was it more available then, and now, it gave me much more velocity in most all the rifles I have loaded for verses IMR.
The Reloader 26 is a newer powder from Alliant that is similar to the R-25 ,but is more temperature stable. That's what I would go with now if I needed to buy more powder, after I run out of R-25.
Always start a few grains lower and work up till you see pressure sighns like a harder lifting bolt, marking on the base of the case head, or overly flattened primers, to find out what your rifle's max charge is.
The load I have given was about two grains below what was a little hot for the rifle I was loading for.
You can experiment with lots of powder brands and burn rates, but this load will get you on the short list for fast, accurate loading in that cartridge.

I see you are in Montana. Highly recommend good premium bullets in that caliber for game out west. The Hornady SST in 117gr. is inexpensive compared to bullets like Berger and Noslers.
They work great on most game and let a guy practice more for less with similar flights to most other tipped type bullets in equal weights.
I wouldn't recommend SST bullets for shots over 400yrds though.
When hunting with calibers .25 and smaller, I think premium bullets are very important.

Thank you for all the information guys! I've got a lot of studying to do.

I didn't fall into this particular caliber by choice, I guess. I actually found the rifle in an attic of a place my family was renting, we called the landlord and prior tenants and nobody laid claim to it, so I kept it. I've been formfitting the brass and saving it from the get-go. It's been a good rifle, since it was free, it has a Burris scope on it that seems to be good. I've sealed the deal on a buck every year, a couple years it took me far too many shots and I feared it was the scope but I'm wondering if it's the ammunition, causing the accuracy issues. Which is why I've opted to try and reload the proper loads.

I did find the correct AI FL die set from Grafs, and that's the one I'm planning to order. I need to get my table set-up and make sure I have everything before I make the jump. I'm going to get ahold of a lot of manuals to get myself familiar with it. My in-law has been reloading for 30 years, so I'm going to rely on him for information and assistance, but I found this website and there's so much knowledge here I plan to rely on you guys a lot.

Thanks again guys! Lots of great information.

If it was a free rifle, have it rebarreled to a regular 25-06. I shoot Nosler bullets in mine and don't think I've paid more than $20/50 for Accubonds or Partitions.

If it was a free rifle, have it rebarreled to a regular 25-06. I shoot Nosler bullets in mine and don't think I've paid more than $20/50 for Accubonds or Partitions.

I thought about that, but I'm intrigued by the AI. The 'rarity' I guess, kind of has a interesting aspect of it. I'll likely buy another hunting rifle, but for now this one is completing it's job as it should.

I wonder how much it would cost to do that, anyway....

A decent gunsmith could probably recut the chamber and set the barrel back a bit. What kind of rifle is it?

A rebarrel to a standard 25-06 is like swapping your F-150 for an Isuzu pup. The AI is the way to go in the .25 caliber.
Nothing wrong with the 25-06 AI at all. Probably the absolute best choice for antelope. No slouch for deer either.
Brass is easily formed from standard 25-06 cartridges and the rifle will shoot either the standard or the AI anyway. Though the standard 25-06 won't shoot as fast or as accurate.
If you want a different caliber or cartridge, then buy another rifle. The one you have will likely service you well though.
Curious what make and model you have?
Some of those inexpensive rifles with synthetic stocks will shoot a lot better with a good bedding job or maybe a new stock all together.

A rebarrel to a standard 25-06 is like swapping your F-150 for an Isuzu pup. The AI is the way to go in the .25 caliber.
Nothing wrong with the 25-06 AI at all. Probably the absolute best choice for antelope. No slouch for deer either.
Brass is easily formed from standard 25-06 cartridges and the rifle will shoot either the standard or the AI anyway. Though the standard 25-06 won't shoot as fast or as accurate.
If you want a different caliber or cartridge, then buy another rifle. The one you have will likely service you well though.
Some of those inexpensive rifles with synthetic stocks will shoot a lot better with a good bedding job or maybe a new stock all together.

Yep.

It's a good use of the Ackley Improved method.

How much extra velocity are you getting in your 25-06ai vs a 25-06 Rem?

It looks like you are taking the proper approach to getting into reloading. If you think that there is an accuracy issue, I would take the rifle to a smith, or someone else with a bore scope, to see if it has just plain been worn out, before investing a lot in new load testing.

Once you get that confirmed, I would stay with the heavier bullets, with the extra punch of the AI. That rifle with 117-120-grain bullets should be a killing machine.

How much extra velocity are you getting in your 25-06ai vs a 25-06 Rem?
I have average of 80fps increase over standard 25-06 with 117gr. bullets. That is in reloaded ammo.
Have seen over 110fps increase in reloaded 25-06AI vs. factory loaded 25-06. Fired from the same AI rifle. Though the standard ammo in an AI chamber isn't as efficient.
Some claim 200fps gains. But lots of factors would need to be equal to do a good comparison.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back