Yeti GOBOX Collection

Worth the upgrade?

jfs82

I've got a Vortex ii dead hold BDC on my Savage 110 in 6.5 currently. In your expert opinions is it worth upgrading to Leupold vx-3i or Sig hellfire ret for about 300? (Sig about 70 less)

I've also got it in my head to turn the savage into my backup/loaner hunting rifle so I have an excuse to buy a new one... If I go that route are either of the above a solid investment for rifle 2 when I decide what it is?

Assume generally hunting central/northern CA within 350 yards

Thanks in advance for the help,

Josh

Last edited:
When you say "Vortex II" i take it to mean the Vortex Crossfire II?

You don't say the size/power of the scope.

I have the Crossfire II in 4-12X42. I really like it. Personally i think the Crossfire II line is better than the Diamondback line. (That goes out the window with the Diamondback HP)
With this scope, i shoot targets to 600 yards, and am comfortable shooting game to 400.
You really don't need more scope.

If you just want a new scope, well that's ok.
Leupold makes some fantastic optics. Sig has a couple that have me curious.
My preference lately is for Sightron. For $300 your getting into STAC territory.

If you could wait and put another $100-200 dollars towards it, your choices get much better.
Getting into Viper,and VX5 territory.
Huge improvements in optics at that price point.

Don't forget good base and rings.

I'm of the opinion that as long as the scope is reliable, the glass doesn't matter as much. Now, that changes if you're doing long range target shooting. I think you'd probably be better off putting the money towards some nice binoculars or a spotting scope, since that's the glass you'll spend the most time behind.

Although, if you don't spend time glassing, you can probably throw what I said out the window.

I really love Leupold scopes. The look, feel, and use-ability is as good or better than any scopes in their price points. Great company too. I don't know much about the Sig line of scopes, but I would imagine that they're pretty great as well.

I've got a Vortex ii dead hold BDC on my Savage 110 in 6.5 currently. In your expert opinions is it worth upgrading to Leupold vx-3i or Sig hellfire ret for about 300? (Sig about 70 less)

I've also got it in my head to turn the savage into my backup/loaner hunting rifle so I have an excuse to buy a new one... If I go that route are either of the above a solid investment for rifle 2 when I decide what it is?

Assume generally hunting central/northern CA within 350 yards

Thanks in advance for the help,

Josh

I hate the BDC reticule, got one. Other than that, what do you consider upgrading? Thinking you must have some problem with the scope you have. Hard to upgrade something that does everything you want well! But then the BDC alone loose's me!

I hate the BDC reticule, got one. Other than that, what do you consider upgrading? Thinking you must have some problem with the scope you have. Hard to upgrade something that does everything you want well! But then the BDC alone loose's me!

I'm with you Don, I really prefer a clean duplex for a straight up hunting scope, although my new Dback tactical has an MOA reticle for my .257 Bee. My M70 7mm-08 wore a Burris Fullfield ii with a BDC reticle and I hated it. I also didn't like the eye relief, but the reticle was too busy in the NY woods I used to hunt. It's now been swapped for a VX-3i 3.5-10x40 that Bass Pro had on sale and it's by far the best scope I've ever used (Before the burris, that M70 wore an old Tasco pronghorn).

That being said, I've got a buddy in ID that elk hunts with a Tikka .300WM that wears a Crossfire ii 4-12 that is an absolute killer of a rig. His spends a lot of time in a gun boot on his wheeler and it's never lost zero, and Mike is one of the most reckeless riders I know

First, thank everyone for the input. Let me add on, the vortex doesn't have a problem necessarily. Just hear everywhere I go that better optics matter a ton. Additionally, the more fun reason, to have this purchase be part one of a better rig. A justification to buy a new rifle, keep this savage setup as the backup/loaner gun (money is tight for my brother and I'd love nothing more than to get him out there with me in the woods for days at a time as more than just a spotter). I'm hoping to keep the new setup under 1500 so a sub 500 dollar scope allows me 1k ish on the rifle.

@st7mag it is indeed a crossfire II, 3-9x40

Buy another rifle! PM schmalts for a great price on a Leupold vx3 of your choice and get your brother hunting with you! Great memories to be made for sure.

The Savage and Crossfire is a sweet setup. Especially for beginners. It sounds like you don't really have any other options than to keep that setup and buy another gun. What cahunter said!

Buy another rifle! PM schmalts for a great price on a Leupold vx3 of your choice and get your brother hunting with you! Great memories to be made for sure.

This right here...rational excuses to buy another rifle can be hard to come by.

Yup, buy another rifle and put the VX3 on it! $1,500 rifle and optics. Memories of quality time with family. Priceless!

To those that don't like the BDC scopes.
3 ovf my Vortex have it, along with 2 Redfields.
For cartridges like the 7mm-08, 280 Rem they match almost perfect if zeroed at 200 yards.
Works well with my 257 Roberts also.
My 250 Savage i need the power on 11, instead of 12 to get the BDC to match. No biggie.
The 7mm Rem Mag is a different story.

Different strokes....

I am in the same boat. I am going to buy another rifle shortly and the research until you "pull the trigger:)" on one is fun by itself.

one of my rifles is a Savage 110 that I put a nikon prostaff with mildot on that actually works really well. the nikon spot on app is also great for that setup

I was given an old scope many years ago. It was a straight 4 power, cheap scope with Mossberg printed on it. I don't know where it originally came from, but I put it on a Savage 110 30-06. That scope was the best scope and I used it for many years. It only failed after I lent the rifle to a friend and he had broke the scope. I really liked that scope. I replaced it with a nice Leupold 3 - 9. I believe you should buy the best optics you can afford, but sometimes you just end up with a good one.

He’s right OP. Do you have a son? No? Are you 100% positive? You might someday you never know! Buy the second rifle. You deserve it:cool:

Heck, and here i was thinking you had one of those 3/4" four power scopes like on a 22LR from the 80's on your 300 RUM, MtMuley...

Just teasing! ;)

I'm glad to see people have their priorities in order.

Skip straight from the VX3 and get the VX5 HD!!

Enabling done...

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back