Another first pronghorn thread

TWT

I’m planning my first pronghorn hunt in WY. I’ve done quite a bit of research, but still have a few questions.

I am looking into area 26 as I am a nonresident and would like to draw second choice tag and save a point. Obviously public access is an issue. I have hunted public out of state before, but never in the west so I am inexperienced at navigating all the various types of public land. BLM, forest service, walk-in, etc.

I have scoured gohunt, hunttalk, Wyoming game and fish, and used google. I have not yet purchased an OnX chip, but will when I know I’m going.

I am confused because I keep reading that there is a fair amount of public land with no access. I can see on multiple maps that main roads cross BLM, state land, forest land, and it appears there is a walk-in hunting area at the junction of 2 main roads.

I do see a sizable amount of public that is inaccessible, but there looks like plenty of accessible public as well. Is there something I am missing, or is this just a difference in opinion? Not much public land in Oklahoma so what may seem like a lot of access to me might seem like very little to some here.

Not necessarily looking for a trophy. I would be happy with an average buck. This hunt is more about getting out there and trying it.

I appreciate any responses.

You should look at the OnX website. If you haven't before, you can get a free one week trial on it. It's honestly really cheap for one state for a year, so I would say it's probably worth it even if you don't go.

You should make sure that the public land you're looking at that's accessible is actually pronghorn habitat. I don't know much about that unit but that's most likely why there's an asterisk by it.

Never hunted pronghorn, but the satellite maps of those areas look like all the areas in the harder to draw units.

I’ll definitely look into that free trial.

The best way to figure it out is to go there. But online scouting can do some for you. Comparatively, 26 has very little public land. But you may be able to find something on public there if you're not picky. Honestly, the worst that could happen is you having a fun vacation.

I realize this is not a slam dunk unit. I just kept reading posts about the lack of access, followed up with a statement about the whole group tagging out the first day. I couldn’t figure out the disconnect.

Also, is it better to show up opening day and fight the crowd? Or wait until the second week and have less company?

I don’t mind to walk in past the crowds, but I don’t want to get shot either.

Unit 26 is doable. Go onto the G&F Hunt Planner and it tells you exactly what to expect as far as accessible public land. My computer CD-ROM shows quite a few chunks of BLM and one Grasslands in pink that public roads hit and then require a lot of walking. Get on the Converse County website and print their map that shows the publicly maintained roads in unit 26. That along with a good GPS and landowner chip will enable you to know where you are to hunt legally. I would also think about purchasing a BLM paper map for a few bucks and it will also give a good perspective of the unit.

I appreciate the help. I don’t mind to walk and doable is good enough for me. I’d rather do this and learn a thing or two before I get selective in a better unit.

I appreciate the help. I don’t mind to walk and doable is good enough for me. I’d rather do this and learn a thing or two before I get selective in a better unit.

Do as I mentioned and then come back with some pictures of the buck you take and good luck to ya!

The key is they need to be public roads. Use the Hunt Planner on the Game and Fish website. It does a pretty good job of showing the public roads. Check with the county GIS or somebody at the road and bridge department if you want to be sure.

You'll be fine in 26. Sent you a PM.

The key is they need to be public roads. Use the Hunt Planner on the Game and Fish website. It does a pretty good job of showing the public roads. Check with the county GIS or somebody at the road and bridge department if you want to be sure.

In case you didn't read the following ** comment at the bottom of the Hunt Planner, it is why you need to go to the individual County to get the poop on public roads that are legal to access the public land and not use it: ** This map is for visual use, assistance, and general location only, does not represent a survey, and is not to be used for legal conveyance

I have hunted 26 and it is very doable. I would definitely have OnX Maps. Don't know how people hunted it without it. We got stopped twice by the game warden there and said it looked like we were on private from his vantage point. I showed him where we were at with OnX and everything was good then...

In case you didn't read the following ** comment at the bottom of the Hunt Planner, it is why you need to go to the individual County to get the poop on public roads that are legal to access the public land and not use it: ** This map is for visual use, assistance, and general location only, does not represent a survey, and is not to be used for legal conveyance

Um, I did. Which is why I said the Hunt Planner does a “pretty good job” and why I referred him to the road and bridge, i.e. the county, if he wants to be sure.

Um, I did. Which is why I said the Hunt Planner does a “pretty good job” and why I referred him to the road and bridge, i.e. the county, if he wants to be sure.

That's why I made my post because " does a pretty good job" like you stated doesn't hack it when we're talking about trespassing and exactly why that disclaimer is on the Hunt Planner. Sorry if it seems I'm being picky, but there is absolutely no way you can use your GPS with a landowner chip properly in a unit like 26 without definitely getting a county map of their public roads.

Last edited:
Back