Youth Antelope Wyoming unit choices

TN VOL

hey guys, I'm looking at antelope areas around Laramie, Rawlins, etc. Does anyone have experience with Units 63 or 52? I would pay the special price for my sons if one of these units is worth it? Both seem to have decent amounts of public land...are these units worth the special price? We've never been proghorn hunting before... would love to have a good overall experience antelope buck hunting..obviously not looking for a trophy. Thanks! feel free to PM me

If you’re not looking for a trophy, just about any unit that isn’t marked with an asterisk should give you what you are looking for. The more accessible public antelope ground in a unit the better off you’ll be. Good luck and let us know how you do out there this fall.

I’ve hunted 63 and 52. I wouldn’t pay extra for either one. Don’t overlook units with an asterisk. AccessYes is your friend.

thanks for the input guys! I'll keep studying the draw odds for areas with accessyes

How many points do you have?

If you're just looking for a fun hunt, I'd echo what NEWHunter said. If you've never been antelope hunting before, I would assume you aren't really trophy hunting and you would save $500 per tag for your boys by going into the regular youth draw versus having to pay for the special.

Again, let us know how many points you have. If you have 1-2 points, there are a lot of options for you.

I was an idiot and didn't buy any antelope points. Really didn't start getting interested in antelope hunting until the last couple months...we have 1 point for deer and 2 for elk. We put in for a type 6 cow tag in the Laramie region..was thinking of trying for an antelope tag for them if we don't get the cow elk tag..I don't want to pay the special license but this will be maybe the last time my oldest son hunts with us for 3-4 years due to college. I thought of some units east of the snowy range that have HMA/walk in areas..then thought of going to the north east units...if they get drawn for the cow elk tags I think we'd still like a couple of antelope tags

I would also like to add that I'm looking at units that have a rifle start date in mid-late September or October 1st start date...

I would also like to add that I'm looking at units that have a rifle start date in mid-late September or October 1st start date...

Have you written off the unit I old you about in PMs last week that would meet what you're looking for? If you have after reading my PMs, IMHO you're making a big mistake not taking the boys there.

Last edited:
I’m not disregarding the unit you suggested..my boys really want to try for a cow elk so we have applied for a type 6 tag for them in unit 16..if we don’t get drawn it won’t matter but if they get drawn for the cow elk tag and get a couple cows in late September I was unsure how we could travel with elk meat to the unit you suggested and keep the meat good..that’s the only reason I was looking at units closer to elk unit 16 so we could keep the elk meat (if they kill) in a freezer..thanks Topgun

Last year I paid up for the special and was glad I did. Went on a second choice tag and had a good hunt.

Your odds of pulling either of those units in the random draw are pretty slim. The 2018 odds for 52 appear to be a bit of an aberration historically speaking. Maybe you’ll get lucky and the odds for 52 will hold, although I wouldn’t count on it. Something wonky appears to have happened in the draw last year with a few of the units in that area - maybe somebody here could shed some light on it.

Especially if you get shut out on elk, I would scour the draw odds for antelope and really consider the special. Based on my limited experience out there and extensive research, I think that paying up gets you a lot on the lower end of the spectrum. You’re improving your odds on a better hunting experience.

Hunting antelope is a blast. I’m already laying plans for a hunt with my son prior to him heading off to post secondary education. You should be able to get multiple opportunities and stalks on bucks and might even luck/work your way into a trophy. Don’t let keeping meat cold get in the way of an antelope hunt - you can get old chest freezers for free and dry ice isn’t that expensive. Good luck - planning is part of the fun and quality time with the family will be the rest.

Thanks for everyone’s help and perspectives! I feel like a kid at Christmas during application season..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back