Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Quick CO questions

WildWill

If I had a 2018 Colorado elk license do I need any other license or stamp to apply in 2019? I plan on applying for points only for elk, deer, and antelope. If I understand correctly my 2018 elk license covers any point fees and I would only have to pay for the app fees is that correct? One last question my friend also wants to apply for points for elk, deer, and antelope but had no 2018 CO license should he get the 2018 small game license before March 1st or is there a better way?

If I had a 2018 Colorado elk license do I need any other license or stamp to apply in 2019? I plan on applying for points only for elk, deer, and antelope. If I understand correctly my 2018 elk license covers any point fees and I would only have to pay for the app fees is that correct? One last question my friend also wants to apply for points for elk, deer, and antelope but had no 2018 CO license should he get the 2018 small game license before March 1st or is there a better way?

The answer to both is ‘No’ : In order to apply in the 2019 big game draw you need a license valid between 4/1/19 and 3/31/20 (and you won’t be charged pref point fees for deer, elk.or antelope...only Moose/Sheep/Goat).

So both of you will need a 2019-2020 small game or turkey license in order to apply in the draw. Those go on sale in March. Full text below:

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents) or 4) Veteran’s Lifetime Combination Small Game Hunting/Fishing License​ (only available to residents).​

https://cpw.state.co.us/feechanges#BigGameLicenseFees

The answer to both is ‘No’ : In order to apply in the 2019 big game draw you need a license valid between 4/1/19 and 3/31/20 (and you won’t be charged pref point fees for deer, elk.or antelope...only Moose/Sheep/Goat).

So both of you will need a 2019-2020 small game or turkey license in order to apply in the draw. Those go on sale in March. Full text below:

A qualifying hunting license, valid between April 1, 2019 and March 31, 2020, must be purchased in order to apply for any 2019 big game license. A qualifying license includes: 1) an annual resident or nonresident small game hunting licenses; 2) an annual resident or nonresident spring turkey license; 3) resident small game/fishing combination license (only available to residents) or 4) Veteran’s Lifetime Combination Small Game Hunting/Fishing License​ (only available to residents).​

https://cpw.state.co.us/feechanges#BigGameLicenseFees
I thought if u had a license from previous yr u weren’t charged for aPP fee in the upcoming draw?

I thought if u had a license from previous yr u weren’t charged for aPP fee in the upcoming draw?

It used to be like that. Colorado is following other states and upping prices one way or another. Colorado and New Mexico are making you buy a license this year. Wyoming is making you pay a convenience fee. Eventually all the states will have as many fees in place as possible to maximize revenue.

Only benefit for some is they might actually use the license compared to a convenience fee.

Are PP fees charged when you apply for a hunt code and are not successful in the draw or only when you apply using the PP code? Probably a no-brainer question for those that deal with buying PP but I've only ever gotten them for free in the old Colorado system. I know this will only apply to sheep/goat/moose. I tried to find this clarification on the CPW web page but was as unsuccessful in finding the answer as I am applying for goat tags.

Bugger! I was hoping to avoid the pp fees too :( will buy an elk pp but now might pass on the deer point.

I haven't looked to in depth yet this year for Colorado so I could be off slightly. My understanding is you need to buy a 2019 license like cedahm posted above. There is no point fee for deer and elk this year. Only sheep, moose, and goat.

So it looks like this. You have to buy an $80 license plus $10 habitat stamp to apply. Then it is $9 per species to apply. And if you want a point for moose, sheep, and goat its another $100 per species. I believe they are going to let you opt out of gaining points for the big 3. It will make it a lot cheaper but you won't be gaining a point.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Looks like we'll both be getting 2019 small game license.

Does anyone know if there is separate cow elk point for cow tag drawings in colorado like montana’s elk b point system? i live in maine. my motto is if i’m flying out west to hunt then by God I’m shooting something and bringing back meat so the more tags the better

No, in CO an elk point is an elk point.

THis is true.

However, depending on the unit, there may be Cow tags available on the leftover list for your unit/season.

We also have 'A' and 'B' (and even 'C') tag classes.

Ignoring 'C' tags (mostly crop damage or low density/Eastern plains tags) - You are allowed 1 A + 1 B or 2 B's. They are called out in the big game brochure, but as a general rule, any Bull or E/S tag is an 'A' tag and Most Antlerless tags are 'B' tags.

I'd check the draw stats on cow tags from 2018 to see if any went leftover and see if this could work for you. Even if they didn't go leftover, you could see one pop up on the re-issue lists.

Bugger! I was hoping to avoid the pp fees too :( will buy an elk pp but now might pass on the deer point.

don't do that, if you are going to pay the license fee go ahead and get a point for deer as well, as there are no PP fees for deer, antelope, or elk

do non-resident OTC archery need to prepare to buy a 2019 $80 license or are those only needed if we enter a draw?

I presume CO will have time to implement a point fee for all species in 2020

Not really unexpected. I expect all CO elk tags to go into a draw as well in the near future as did CO deer tags years ago.

CO and some other states are making it easier to spend money on other things besides hunting there. The number of big game hunters is declining in America and the number heading out of state is declining faster with the remaining hunters older and with higher levels of income and wealth. States are very short-sighted as push up costs to apply and acquire tags. They are accelerating the decline. Fewer voters that hunt makes it easier to pass all sorts of feel-good laws that make a wildlife biologist cringe.

For every social media darling or entertainment star or star athlete that is vocally pro-hunting there are 10x to 100x that are vocally anti-hunting. Anti-trapping. Anti-fur. Anti-trophy hunting which really is anti-all hunting if you ask a few questions and not merely "save the elephants, lions, tigers and giraffes" focus. Public opinion is shifting away. Fewer people grow up surrounded by a pond with fish and a pasture with rabbits or deer to hunt. This is not going well and when an entire species (black bear, 1992 vote restricting dogs and bait) or weapon are taken out of the hunting mix by voters then that will erase all the revenue gains G&F which has smugly milked hunters with "we could sell every sheep tag 100x over" or "we are still $100 less for an elk tag than that other state" attitude. Remind me, what does a hiker pay per season? A bird-watcher? A mountain biker? The cross-country skier? The snowboarder? Exactly, the hunter is the golden goose. Tags for accessing a mountain trail are not being controlled by F&G with applications required and buying points so maybe in three years can mountain bike the primo trails.

So, the rules are onerous for hunters and the cost to hunt is increasing faster than inflation and F&G is a big part of the cost increase to hunt. Gasoline goes up and sometimes comes down. Tags and fees only go up. Sure, world is not fair. Is also fine to point out calculated, artificial unfairness.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HuntND90
Back