Coues deer help,Arizona

Jayden12

So I'm going to start applying in Arizona which I wish I did 12 years ago when I first started hunting the west.But, I was cheap, and hated buying a license I couldn't use while at the time raising a big family.
Well the nest is much smaller now and I see the error in my ways.Really I didn't see Wyoming and Colorado points game getting as crazy as they are today.I was totally against NM license purchase to until I went for it and got to hunt there last year.Thats what really opened my eyes to Arizona.But enough about elk
Still being cheap, I want to use the license I have to buy and get a coues deer tag.No points limits my options so I'm asking for a little help picking a couple units to research.Looks like my realistic odds are the 1st season to hunt.Ive looked at their website and googled best deer concentrations and not coming back with much imfo.Theres one border unit I'm considering and one I think is by Tucson if I remember correctly.I honestly know nothing about any coues units.Im looking for more roadless units that have high deer densities.If anyone could message me with some help I'd really appreciate it.Its a 3000 + mile trip and don't want any easy to draw tag with low deer numbers.Ill only have 5-6 days to figure it out when I get there.Coues is the last deer species I need to take to have my deer slam.Though I plan to add a Sika deer in Maryland yet as well
Thanks for any help.Guys that message me all the time know I give back to help them best I can.Seeing if it brought me any good karma,lol

0 points, look into a 24b early tag and hike into the wilderness. Theres coues from the trailhead to the middle of the superstitions. Only draw back is the weather. 95 degrees Oct31 the last time I harvested a deer on that hunt.

Most of the non-rut coues hunts here in AZ can be drawn with 0bp’s. All of the units around the tucson area hold great numbers of coues deer. Pick one or two that interest you and go for it.

Most of the non-rut coues hunts here in AZ can be drawn with 0bp’s. All of the units around the tucson area hold great numbers of coues deer. Pick one or two that interest you and go for it.

Good advice.

I would pick the unit and date you want most as your first choice, and an October or early November hunt near the border for your second choice.

Thanks, I'll check out units around Tucson.I have all day since I can't really work in minus 40 degree wind chills.That 95* sounds nice right now

I’m watching fresh tracks with my back door open listening to my waterfall circulate into my pool

Lol,must be a rough winter there.Just got 10" snow Tues/wed.,and right now it's -9* without the wind.I may have to consider an OTC bowhunt instead

What are the dates for the 3rd rifle hunt?Looked over and researched a few units that I should be able to draw with some better temps

Carry plenty of water...Even in cold weather.It's dry down here Anywhere south of Tucson.
Watch for Illegals.They will try to avoid you,but? Any 30+ AREA SOUTH Try for Javelina Tag as well!
Good Luck.The Grey Ghost is not an easy hunt.:cool:

I'm looking down in the 30s units.Do you have rough idea of 3rd season dates?I'm still trying for elk tags as well in a few states

3rd season is probably going to be Nov 29-Dec 8th this year.

Thanks,those dates would be my best bet I think.Are all the 30+ units south of Tucson good quail hunting?We don't have them here, and would enjoy that as well.Closest to me I've ever found quail we're the marshes on the Eastern shore of Maryland

Thanks,those dates would be my best bet I think.Are all the 30+ units south of Tucson good quail hunting?We don't have them here, and would enjoy that as well.Closest to me I've ever found quail we're the marshes on the Eastern shore of Maryland

Yes, there will be quail in any of the units. Mearns won’t be open yet. This was a poor year for gambles quail, but if the winter rains continue it should bounce back somewhat.

Back