"The Big Three", I have a few questions for you!

Mtnhunter1

The Big Three, coveted special tags for Moose, Sheep and Mtn. Goat!

I have a few questions for the lucky folks that have beaten the odds, or have drawn out on the max point pool, and actually hunted one or more of “The Big Three”!

My questions:

1: What was your thought of the “Big Three” hunt? How did you treat it, was it the most important hunt of your life? Did the hunt meet all your expectations?

2: Was your hunt a solo affair or did you include family members to experience the hunt alongside you? OR, did the drawing of the coveted tag serve up many of your hunting buddies offering to help out and the hunt started to take on a life of its own? Maybe you decided to hire an outfitter or possibly the hunt required one? Possibly you became fed up with waiting on the draw and bought a hunt up north or down south?

3: How much of your life did you dedicate to the hunt? Did you scout the area pre-opener? Did the hunt play-out as planned or did it last longer than expected?

4: Were you successful in punching your tag? If so, did the critter meet all your expectations of the hunt? Would you like to have the tag again and do it all over again? If so, would the tag/area stay the same or would you like to hunt a different/better area?

It would be great to hear from the “Few” that have had the thrill of opening that envelope, pre-interweb, or viewed “Successful” when the draw results were posted. No need to go into great detail about your hunt, unless you want to, while answering my above questions. After reading more than a few hunt review/stories that have been posted here and elsewhere, I am curious about the answers that might be posted.

GOOD LUCK to all that are applying for any or all of “The Big Three” this year, 2019!

Mtnhunter1

I have a few questions for the lucky folks that have beaten the odds, or have drawn out on the max point pool, and actually hunted one or more of “The Big Three”!

My questions:

1: What was your thought of the “Big Three” hunt? How did you treat it, was it the most important hunt of your life? Did the hunt meet all your expectations?

2: Was your hunt a solo affair or did you include family members to experience the hunt alongside you? OR, did the drawing of the coveted tag serve up many of your hunting buddies offering to help out and the hunt started to take on a life of its own? Maybe you decided to hire an outfitter or possibly the hunt required one? Possibly you became fed up with waiting on the draw and bought a hunt up north or down south?

3: How much of your life did you dedicate to the hunt? Did you scout the area pre-opener? Did the hunt play-out as planned or did it last longer than expected?

4: Were you successful in punching your tag? If so, did the critter meet all your expectations of the hunt? Would you like to have the tag again and do it all over again? If so, would the tag/area stay the same or would you like to hunt a different/better area?

It would be great to hear from the “Few” that have had the thrill of opening that envelope, pre-interweb, or viewed “Successful” when the draw results were posted. No need to go into great detail about your hunt, unless you want to, while answering my above questions. After reading more than a few hunt review/stories that have been posted here and elsewhere, I am curious about the answers that might be posted.

GOOD LUCK to all that are applying for any or all of “The Big Three” this year, 2019!

Mtnhunter1

Alaska is unique in that residents can hunt moose, sheep, goats in some areas without a lottery.
We are very fortunate with our hunting opportunities on public land.

I like sheep hunting because it starts the hunting season (Aug 10) and there is also a good chance of shooting
a bull caribou on that hunt. I usually hunt with one other person which helps with packing camp and meat.
Usually a 7-10 day hunt.
Alaska has a "youth hunt" for sheep which runs Aug 1-5, a unique opportunity.
Legal rams have to be full curl or larger.

My favorite is moose hunting because I love the calling aspect and close shooting...sometimes at 25 yards.
I usually hunt alone, with a hunting partner who also hunts alone and we meet back at camp every evening.
If one of us shoots a moose, hunting is over and the packing begins. Usually a 7-10 day hunt.
In the area I hunt, legal bull is spike-fork or greater than 50 inches (3 browe tines)

No goats in interior Alaska, and that's mostly where I focus my hunting.

1999, my wife called me at work to tell me that I had received our refund from the FWP and wanted to know if she should deposit the check. Asking her for the total amount of the check, she opened up the envelope to relay the info. Low and behold, no refund check, a moose permit in my name was enclosed in that FWPs envelope!

1: I did not treat this hunt any different than any other mountain muley or elk hunt. This hunt ended up being one of hardest hunts that I’ve ever encountered. Looking back, it was a GREAT HUNT! So yes, in the end, it met all my expectations.

2: Hunted a total of 27 days solo and mostly in the wilderness.

3: Did not get to do any scouting, work and life got in the way. The hunt did not play out as I had envisioned as I actually saw my first antlered moose, of my 27 days of hunting, on day 26!

4: Yes I did end up punching my tag. I finally cut a set of moose tracks at around 11:30am on day 26. I bumped the bull out of his bed around 3:30pm in a jungle of a fir thicket. I only viewed black legs as the moose spun and took off. I continued tracking him until dark without another sighting. To damn far from the trailhead and my truck, I crawled into a tree well of a big fir, made a fire and spent the night. Daylight found me back on the track and I bumped the moose at around noon with legs only viewed again. Right at dark he finally made a mistake and I put him down. It was Saturday, Nov. 27th or the day before the last day of the season! Reached the truck by 2:00am and returned with the ponies at roughly noon on Sunday. With my Dad’s help, we had the meat and head back to the trailer at 2:00am Monday. I hunted solo, my father helped with the retrieval. That would end up being my Dad’s last horse packing adventure. Looking back, I would not have changed a thing about the hunt. I just wish that there were more moose around that year and no to hunting that area again! But yes, I’d like to hunt moose again if I get lucky again and beat the draw odds! The moose, well he was nothing special, young 40” with spike fronts. Yes I was happy with him!

Last edited:
AlaskaHunter,,,,, Yes, your great state reigns supreme in regards to “The Big Three”! I did an Alaska adventure in 2002 with the idea of taking an interior G-bear with my bow. I was hunting with a relative resident of Alaska. No G-bear for me on that trip. Missed a few shots but just couldn’t keep my adrenalin in check! The G-bear was the only critter to do that to me since I was a very young hunter. I did take home a nice Alaskan moose!

The AK Moose:

1: Actually was really only interested in taking a G-bear on this trip. My relative was going for his moose and I had the idea of hunting the bones and gut pile for a Grizz. He ended up missing a bull and then another bull decided to provide me with one of those slam dunk shot opportunities. No this hunt did not meet my expectations.

2: Alaska hunt with my relative where we hunted, 50/50, solo and together.

3: No scouting of the area, other than being dropped off 2 days before the moose season opener. My relative set up the area we would be hunting and how we’d be getting there via bush plan drop off. This hunt did not go as planned. We were in great moose country and saw many good bulls. But there just were very few G-bears in that area. I know, sounds like to perfect Alaska moose hunting area and it was!

4: Yes I downed a very nice AK moose but that really wasn’t what I was after on this trip. Saw tons of blackies out eating berries but only glassed one grizz that was a LOOONG ways away. AlaskaHunter is correct, once you tip over an AK moose, the work really begins! Montana moose X2, yes, they’re that big! No, I don’t ever see a need to hunt or shoot another AK moose again in my lifetime.

Side note: AK is a great state to hunt but I was astounded at the lack of critters. The animals seem to be located in little islands of habitat. I viewed 100’s of empty miles of terrain between these pockets that held critters. We also had to get relocated to actually find a few G-bears to chase around. They were leaving the heads of the salmon streams and hitting the hillsides eating berries. Stalking these bears was like stalking antelope, wide open country in blue berry brush that is ankle deep. I got my shot opportunities but just could not keep my sh*t fully together. No bears were harmed except possibly the three legged blackie that I had to shoot with a blunt to get it away from our tent one afternoon!

AK Moose.jpg

AK Moose are like tipping over a Clydesdale horse! For reference, I am 6' 3" and roughly 245lbs. You better like packing heavy loads....

Packing AK Moose.jpg

Last edited:
How are you Knees?
Back still strong?
do you enjoy bad weather?
days filled with disappointment your thing?
every start to think its more likely to see a unicorn or a sombrero wearing Sasquatch before drawing a tag or if you do draw it a legal animal to shoot?
by all means go after the big three

Mtnhunter1, after reading your story I think the moose you took was special indeed. 26 days of hunting is sticking to it.

Alaska is unique in that residents can hunt moose, sheep, goats in some areas without a lottery.

And that is true even for NONresidents. In 2015, my buddy and I bought moose tags for reasonable money and spent 15 days without guides hunting them in the Yukon Delta. It was the trip of a lifetime. We both killed nice bulls too. For me, it was the culmination of a 50 yr dream. I don't believe in bucket lists, but if I did, this would have been at the very top of the list.

I would love to do it again, and just might while I still have my legs. I would definitely go back to Alaska but I would like to choose another area - just to see another region and different types of habitat.

Moose will always be my favorite animal to hunt (and eat), even if I never do get to go again.

I drew all three of the big 3 in one season before there was a point system. Almost had too much fun that year and ended up getting my goat in mid November. One of my favorite hunts all time.

BHR,,,,,, Now THAT was a very busy fall season! Have you beat the odds on drawing a tag since, or did you use up all your luck that year? That is an awesome pic of a beautiful Nov. Billy!!

I have been incredibly blessed with the big 3 draws. That year I put in for unlimited sheep, but have drawn 2 limited entry sheep tags, Montana and Idaho, and have drawn 2 moose tags, again Montana and Idaho. Also have put in for the unlimited 6 times. Hunted sheep in Canada twice, and tagged along with a friend who drew a Utah desert sheep tag. His only sheep hunt to date and he shot a nice ram.

My friend did an incredible amount of research for this DIY hunt and I was very appreciative of the opportunity to hunt with him in this unique canyon country. Probably the closest I'll ever come to hunting Desert Bighorns.
35580009.jpg

BHR,,, Yes you have been blessed! I’ve also beaten the odds on the big 3 draw more than expected over the years. I started this thread to hear from others that have drawn that special tag. I was curious on how others felt about finally pulling that tag and how they went about hunting that tag.

Were all of your hunts successful, minus an unlimited hunt or two? Sheep seem to take priority, two Canadian hunts, and the unlimited hunts? Did you hunt with others or solo on the lower 48 hunts?

That is a beautiful desert! I can imagine that the experience was amazing! Maybe your time will come in beating the odds on pulling a desert tag. If not, there is always Mexico!

Thanks, Mtnhunter

All hunts were successful if having fun counts as successful. I have 20 days hunting stone's sheep with out ever seeing a legal ram. One was very close but not quite full curl. Still had an awesome hunt in some amazing country. Some hunts in the lower 48 were solo and some were with friends. All were memerable.

I've been lucky. Drew an AZ Desert Ram, a NR CO Rocky, and an AZ Rocky, all successful, including a B&C Rocky from AZ. I took a very nice Dall's in AK with a guide and wait for it .... I struck out twice on very expensive guided Stone's hunts in BC. Guess luck only goes so far.
Anyway I did the Desert by myself. Scouted different parts of the unit each weekend for six weeks before the hunt, and shot the wrong ram after an 13 hour stalk. There was a bigger ram I couldn't see from my vantage point, still he scored 155. All were great and am still hoping to draw a NV Desert Ram this year, (24 NR pts). I remember the Stone's hunts the most because of the lack of success I guess. I saw a couple hundred rams over 28 days in two seasons, but no full curl legal rams. I could complain about lots of things, but sometimes that's hunting. My biggest regret is that the Canadians took both my unpunched tags (probably afraid I'd sneak across the border on my own). If I had them I'd have mounted them on a plaque and hung them with my other four sheep. FWIW. GJ

Last edited:
I've drawn moose twice(WY-2000) (MT-2007) and goat (MT-2012). I treated all of them like they were very special - hunted all with friends. I scouted a ton of time in all cases, years for the WY moose and MT goat and an entire summer for the MT moose. They all panned out as good as they could have gone, but will always regret shooting the WY moose that I did. I would have preferred to have hunted longer for a better bull as I shot the first decent one I came across on Oct 1. Had a month of season left in a very special part of Wyoming. It's a tag I won't draw again, and I don't even apply now. I had a lot going on that fall, hunting everything in MT, and Wyoming antelope, deer, and bear as well. Filled all those tags on pretty great animals first and the moose was taken last. Wyoming moose permits don't come by very often. Moose season ended Nov 30, and I had plenty of time to spend. :D My Wyoming moose decorates a rental property my better half has, not even in my own house. I would have been better off with tag soup and more days hunting than killing that bull. He tasted like shoe leather.

I've drawn moose twice(WY-2000) (MT-2007) and goat (MT-2012). I treated all of them like they were very special - hunted all with friends. I scouted a ton of time in all cases, years for the WY moose and MT goat and an entire summer for the MT moose. They all panned out as good as they could have gone, but will always regret shooting the WY moose that I did. I would have preferred to have hunted longer for a better bull as I shot the first decent one I came across on Oct 1. Had a month of season left in a very special part of Wyoming. It's a tag I won't draw again, and I don't even apply now. I had a lot going on that fall, hunting everything in MT, and Wyoming antelope, deer, and bear as well. Filled all those tags on pretty great animals first and the moose was taken last. Wyoming moose permits don't come by very often. Moose season ended Nov 30, and I had plenty of time to spend. :D My Wyoming moose decorates a rental property my better half has, not even in my own house. I would have been better off with tag soup and more days hunting than killing that bull. He tasted like shoe leather.

THIS, is exactly what I was wondering if I'd hear when I posted this thread! Brutal honesty about the hunt after drawing that special tag!!

Thanks for that Greenhorn! Your last two sentences made me laugh out loud!

My questions:

Mtnhunter1

1. Lots of them, all were fantastic. In some cases the joys of youth were under-appreciated, nothing new there, you don' know you had it till it's gone
2. Solo except for dogs, llamas
3. As much as possible while still remaining hitched and somewhat employed. A handful have gone over thirty days in field, none have exceeded 40 days.
4. Most all punched one sheep and 3 goats being the exceptions, as they eat like turds and I only want a really big one with a bow, when you want that it is to be expected tag soup is a distinct possibility.

Getting the tag is the hunt so jumping around to beat the odds is a large part of trying to have a bunch of "hunt of a lifetime"s' I can't imagine only actually doing it once/critter. That would be terrible.

I don't think any have been less than a couple weeks or so, it would kind of defeat the purpose as I never went to sit next to a dead animal, but to experience them and their world.

best of 3 shiras
Scan0007 - Copy by squirrel2012, on Flickr

best sheep, rifle
IMG_1206 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Best (only ) goat bow

Scan0001 by squirrel2012, on Flickr

Back