Sheds or lack there of....

Hilljackoutlaw

How is everyone deer shedding coming along so far? I am not an avid shed hunter, i just like to pass the time looking for sheds of the deer i hunt year to year. Its fun, good exercise for me and the dog, and cool way to add to the story of a successful hunt by finding the sheds. Im very determined to find the sheds of a whitetail i been hunting the last few years and a few others that would be cool to find. I have been trying to monitor them with my trail cams to see when they shed so i know when to start looking and not spook them out of their core areas before they drop. As of yesterdays trail cam photos i have only seen one small spike that has shed in the area i hunt. 11 bucks still packing both sides. Im in southeast Idaho and just wondering if the deer in your areas are dropping yet? I know they can drop late but i just find it curious that pretty much every buck i observed all season long is still packing head gear.

Deer are a bit late here to. I have found a few but may of the whitetails are still packing antlers. Likely has to do with the easy winter, Deer that are stressed will drop earlier.

All bucks still packing in my area. Just a pic with 4 of the bucks in the area. Got pics of 5 others still packing to.

Attachments

• KIMG0364.jpg
    KIMG0364.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 517
Easy another month or more, Lot of times they don't drop till they start to eat green grass.

I realize that, but it's always mid to late January in this area like clockwork. Or it's a long drawn out process where a different buck will shed every week or so until April. I've never seen where basically every buck in the area are still packing both sides this late in this area.

Deer are a bit late here to. I have found a few but may of the whitetails are still packing antlers. Likely has to do with the easy winter, Deer that are stressed will drop earlier.

How is things this winter in SE Montana ? They need several good winters

Compared to last winter this year is like a walk on a tropical beach. Right now there is very little snow, even on the north facing slopes. (maybe 4 to 6 inches in the worst spots) The last week or so has been cold but not unbearable. (lows down to -10 and highs in the single digits to teen's) Deer are in good shape, just not very many of them. The farther you get from private the fewer there are.

I am still seeing quite a few smaller whitetails packing there antlers.

Saw some bucks yesterday still sporting headgear. We'll do a little looking around next weekend if weather permits.

So far only these REALLY big deer are shedding here in Southern California! 😂 After a long day of shed hunting with no luck, I stopped to "water" a tree... When I looked down I noticed this big fella laying in the sticks!!

Attachments

• IMG_0759.JPG
    IMG_0759.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
I'm watching 3 bucks in the Santa Barbara foothills right now. 2 have dropped their antlers and the third is a large fork still carrying his.

So far only these REALLY big deer are shedding here in Southern California! 😂 After a long day of shed hunting with no luck, I stopped to "water" a tree... When I looked down I noticed this big fella laying in the sticks!!
I didn't know that they had Muntjac in Southern California. 😁😁

They are late big time in our area. We are only about 50% of our usual number of sheds at this time of the year. Dad found a set yesterday with bright red tacky blood on bases.

Saw 6 whitetails together last week that all shed. Same day tho i jumped two real good bucks from their beds still packing both sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back