Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Day pack on a budget

If you are elk hunting I would make sure your day pack can still carry 80-100 lbs. I would recommend classified ads.

Once you narrow down what type of pack you want, Craigslist and EBay and classified adds like here are a great place to look for great gear. Some Guy's want to alway’s be trying the latest and greatest gear and there nothing wrong with that, but it gives you the chance to buy great gear at a fair price.
Just be willing to wait till you find a good deal, you have a lot of time till next fall to buy it.
Good Luck in your search.

Last edited:
Looking at a Sitka Bivy 30. I can get it for around $150. Think that would be a good one? Think I could carry it on an airplane?

Never had one on, but from what I can tell, it doesn’t have much in the way of load lifters.
They do make a huge difference in getting the weight distributed.

I bought a alps hybrid x for my hunt last year and for the money you can’t go wrong. Carried a elk ham great. I think it was 250. Worth every penny.

Will you also plan on using this pack for meat hauling? If so, a system with load lifters and hip belt are a requirement unless you plan on hunting within a few hundred yards of roads. Another consideration is purchasing a frame only from one of the high end manufacturers and lashing your own bag until you can afford a pack.

For this hunt, I will not be hauling meat. I just need something to keep a days worth of gear.

Do you plan to ever hunt elk and haul meat? For $200 you can find a pack that is well suited for both, and if you don't need to haul meat, don't waste $200.

The link I posted earlier was to a used mystery ranch that is a fantastic daypack and meathauler for less than $200. New it goes for >$500.

Bought a Kelty 34 at Sportsmans on sale for $99.
Great deal.Internal adjustable frame.:cool:

You're really not giving us much to work with here. If you're planning on hauling meat with it, you'll probably be better off getting something a bit bigger than your typical day pack. But if you're just wanting something to carry lunch in and bring as a carry-on you'll be good with the smaller day packs.

You can get a pretty solid 60-90 liter pack for $200.

Sorry guys for being all over the place and lack of information.

Minnesota Hunter...I couldn't get the link to work, but I have written down the name of the pack.

I will be doing an outfitted hunt in SW Montana this fall. The outfitter will assist us in the packout with either ATVs or horses. Being an eastern white-tailed deer hunter, my pack is currently a Cabelas fanny pack with shoulder straps. Don't really need to haul a bunch of gear and the WT deer are taken out whole (no meat hauling needed).

With all of the gear recommended (optics, boots, etc.) to hunt, I have to pick and choose where I invest the money. I have given thought to something along the lines of the Sitka Bivy 30 because I feel like I could carry it on the airplane (??) and use it to haul gear.

The more I plan, study western big game hunting, and read this site I feel like it will be something I try to DIY down the road. However, with work and family responsibilities, down the road may be 10-15 years from now. I'm not treating this as a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, but a once-in-a-longtime one.

My goal on this hunt is to learn firsthand about the animals, the country, etc. I'm already driving my wife crazy listening to Elk Talk live constantly.

Everyone's been great in the multiple threads I have started. I greatly appreciate your patience and willingness to provide advice.

Honestly, in your price range there is a lot available. If you want a carry-on I would say that something more in the daypack design would fit your needs. Any of the ones above would work, otherwise you could head to your nearest sporting goods store and check them out. There are a bazillion different backpacking daypacks that would fit your needs.

If I were you I would look more in the larger pack area. I personally use a Kelty Redcloud 110 (~$230 on Amazon) and it's great. The features on it will be about the same as all larger backpacking packs. You can also find the 90 liter pack for right at your price point here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014JQIHJ6/ref=twister_B01789LSMO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The reason I would recommend going this route is that your pack will be far more versatile. Most packs have a really good strap adjustment system to make the pack comfortable even with small loads. This way you can carry lunch, a small stove, layers, a spotting scope, etc. in your pack while cinched down comfortably, and expand it out to fit any critters you may pick up along the way. They will also be excellent backpack camping packs in case you want to get into that in the future. I personally use mine from anything from day-hikes to week long camping trips. When it's all cinched down, I can comfortably carry a day-pack's worth of gear while being comfortable enough to accurately shoot my bow on stalks.

There are a ton of different brands you could go with. Many people on here love Mystery Ranch stuff (understandably) but I have no experience with them. You'll probably save some money by going to your local REI and trying on a bunch of packs in your budget range and going from there.

If you go this route, though, you may have to write off the carry-on option. So if that's important to you you should probably look at actual day packs.

Minnesota Hunter...I couldn't get the link to work, but I have written down the name of the pack.

I will be doing an outfitted hunt in SW Montana this fall. The outfitter will assist us in the packout with either ATVs or horses. Being an eastern white-tailed deer hunter, my pack is currently a Cabelas fanny pack with shoulder straps. Don't really need to haul a bunch of gear and the WT deer are taken out whole (no meat hauling needed).

With all of the gear recommended (optics, boots, etc.) to hunt, I have to pick and choose where I invest the money. I have given thought to something along the lines of the Sitka Bivy 30 because I feel like I could carry it on the airplane (??) and use it to haul gear.

The more I plan, study western big game hunting, and read this site I feel like it will be something I try to DIY down the road. However, with work and family responsibilities, down the road may be 10-15 years from now. I'm not treating this as a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, but a once-in-a-longtime one.

My goal on this hunt is to learn firsthand about the animals, the country, etc. I'm already driving my wife crazy listening to Elk Talk live constantly.

Everyone's been great in the multiple threads I have started. I greatly appreciate your patience and willingness to provide advice.

Here it is again, hope it works this time.
https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?285690-Mystery-Ranch-Crewcab-Pack-w-Nice-Frame&highlight=crewcab

Given this, I would seriously consider just using the fanny pack you have, or spend less on a lighter duty backpacking setup. REI outlet, steep and cheap, etc are all good sources if you are just going to be carrying water, snivel gear, and sandwiches. You should be able to find something for under <100 if you look around and invest the other 100 somewhere else, where you will see a return on your investment. Boots might be a good place, or some merino baselayers.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/gregory-zulu-40-backpack-2440cu-in-gre005c?skid=GRE005C-MSGN-M&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmFja3BhY2s6MToxMDpiYWNrcGFjaw==

Depending on what size you need optics planet has MR mule for $230. I ordered a pintler yesterday for $305 shipped.

So here goes...

Why on earth would you want to spend $200 on a pack you're just going to carry a days worth of food and a spare jacket? Just get something at Wal-Mart. I have a cheap Fieldline pack that is very comfortable, holds a lot of stuff and only cost maybe $30. I've had it for years, I even hauled about 30lbs of deer meat off the mountain in it once, that wasn't real pleasant but on a simple "day trip" I don't need anything more.

I also have a Mystery Ranch Metcalf and a Cabelas Alaska Outfitter for the heavy lifting and meat hauling.

I also have a big Allen fanny pack with shoulder straps that will carry about 20lbs pretty comfortably. It also has straps for attaching other gear and clothing to the outside. That cost like $28, if memory serves.

Given that you won't be packing heavy weight I would get a decent daypack that is hydration compatible, you mentioned that you are trying to be cost conscious so I might skip hunting brands as you are paying more for aesthetics, pack color doesn't matter I wouldn't hesitate taking any earth tone pack archery hunting. In addition hunting packs have a more limited market so you don't see quite the price mark downs you with see with more mainstream brands. Check out rei and see if there is anything you like, this looks decent to me and seems like it would fit your needs... https://www.rei.com/product/895646/osprey-manta-ag-28-hydration-pack-25-liters-mens

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back