Yeti GOBOX Collection

6.5 creedmore

Preacher shaner

Some friends an my self are looking in to a maine bear hunt. We all have creedmores. I am feeding mine 140 grn game king. I was thinking that should do it. But they do get a few big bears so i wanted to ask what you guys think.

Bears aren't that tuff to kill. Relatively thin skinned. The bones are very heavy and thick. Avoid the shoulder bones and any rifle .243 size and up will get it done.
I have taken black bears with 25-06 and 117gr. bullets that didn't run more than 30yrds, hit behind the shoulder broad side.

I agree with Millsworks. I have shot two in recent years with a 6.8mm SPC. Both were one shot kills. The one I shot with a Federal 115 gr Fusion soft point went about 30 yards. The one in the photo below dropped in its tracks with a 95 gr Barnes TTSX.87F0FEFA-79E2-4BC7-B2D8-480832DC2675.jpg

I'm not trying to be a dousche, but you posted just a few days ago wondering if your 6.5 would be enough for elk.. out of curiosity, what did you plan on shooting with it when you bought the rifle?

My opinion though, the Creedmoor will kill as good as anything if you use the right bullet and the correct placement.

I don't want to be a spelling nazi but it is Creedmoor, not Creedmore. The moor was Creed's farm on Long Island where the first long range international match was held and won by the Americans in 1874. Not one person there shot a 6.5 anything, however. just sayin'.

Nice bear BAKPAKR

W hen i got the creedmoor. I had just moved to eastern OH right on the WV line. So i bought it just to hunt whitetail i. WV. Than i came across randy newberg on youtube and him shooting elk with the 7mm-08. Now i have som big heavy guns that will kill any thing i want. But the creedmoor is the lightest weight gun i own if i dont have to buy another gun than thats fine but if i need to it gets put on the list. And the people on here have forgotten more about hunting the west than i know. So sorry there will be many more dumb questions to come. Thanks

As long as you use good bullets and don't go full retard thinking that you kill an animal from the next area code the 6.5 CM should be plenty gun to get the job done

As long as you use good bullets and don't go full retard thinking that you kill an animal from the next area code the 6.5 CM should be plenty gun to get the job done

This is right. The Creed will kill the bear just fine, but I would lose the Sierra bullets for close-in work. They may dynamite on you. I would look at a mono-metal, Partition, or Accubond if it was me, with a 140 Interlock bringing up the rear of the list.

W hen i got the creedmoor. I had just moved to eastern OH right on the WV line. So i bought it just to hunt whitetail i. WV. Than i came across randy newberg on youtube and him shooting elk with the 7mm-08. Now i have som big heavy guns that will kill any thing i want. But the creedmoor is the lightest weight gun i own if i dont have to buy another gun than thats fine but if i need to it gets put on the list. And the people on here have forgotten more about hunting the west than i know. So sorry there will be many more dumb questions to come. Thanks

Makes sense. I think you're good for anything from elk on down with that rifle.

I got a 6.5 CM right before Christmas. My game count with it is just one antlerless whitetail so I cannot give you first hand experience on how it works on bears or elk. However, had I had it earlier in the year, I would not have hesitated to have taken it to Wyoming for moose instead of my 300 RUM. It would have been loaded with Swift, Barnes, or Nosler Bullets and I probably would have limited my shots to 300 yards.

I know there might have been shots come up that I passed on with the 6.5 due to range or how the animal was angled that I could have taken with the RUM, but I might have been presented with more opportunities because I could have covered more ground with a rifle that was almost 2.5 pounds lighter.

I have gotten a bunch of bears through the years. Most of them with my 30-06, 165 grain bullets. I use this standard load for everything. However, I have shot and loss bear with the 270. And so have my friends. I think I primarily hit the shoulder and the 270 did not complete the deal. I am a bit skeptical, and curious about my new 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to get a bear with it to see the results. I am working loads with 143 grn ELD-X and hope it will be my standard for everything.

I have gotten a bunch of bears through the years. Most of them with my 30-06, 165 grain bullets. I use this standard load for everything. However, I have shot and loss bear with the 270. And so have my friends. I think I primarily hit the shoulder and the 270 did not complete the deal. I am a bit skeptical, and curious about my new 6.5 Creedmoor. I would like to get a bear with it to see the results. I am working loads with 143 grn ELD-X and hope it will be my standard for everything.

I would try to keep that 143 off the shoulder. They are great bullets, but I believe that a standard Interlock, Partition etc., is a better choice for close use, like you will need for most bear hunts.

I would say that your lost bear with the .270, is more about bullets, than caliber.

^Yep. Any bones and the ELD-X probably won't get as good of penetration. Especially on a bear shoulder. They work just fine but you need to make sure you put them in the right spot.

I think you may want to try out some bonded bullets or partitions as well. That way you're nearly guaranteed good penetration. Keep in mind, at under 100 yards (I'm guessing you'll be hunting over bait) you don't need the world's most accurate bullet. You need something that'll perform well.

I would try to keep that 143 off the shoulder. They are great bullets, but I believe that a standard Interlock, Partition etc., is a better choice for close use, like you will need for most bear hunts.

I would say that your lost bear with the .270, is more about bullets, than caliber.

sbhooper that's good advice! Maybe I'll regroup and try Interlocks or Partitions for a "everything" load. Your probably correct on the .270. I don't remember the rounds, but they were factory 150grns and probably not a great bullet for a shoulder shot. Sometimes we have a false sense of security in the factory ammo and expect more from it.

I have killed bull elk with a 260 shooting a 130grn Accubond, it is the twin of the Creedmoor, and it did a great job. I also killed a 6ft black bear with the same setup and it performed flawlessly. If you are concerned about the bullet holding together, look at the all coppers. A Barnes TTSX or Nosler E-tip will both be plenty of bullet.

130yds, quartering away, entered about 3 ribs behind the shoulder and lodged under the hide in front of the offside shoulder. Bear dropped in his tracks.
MT Bear 2015 10.jpg

OhHeyThereBen you are correct, primarily over bait. But I have done some spot and stock as well. I didn't realize the ELD-X wouldn't penetrate as well. I was under the understanding it was basically a Interlock with a polymer tip and controlled expansion. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll go a different direction on the bullet. I agree at 100 yards or less over bait you don't need the worlds most accurate bullet. But I'm trying to work up an general purpose round. Hopefully I'll end up with a good combination.

OhHeyThereBen you are correct, primarily over bait. But I have done some spot and stock as well. I didn't realize the ELD-X wouldn't penetrate as well. I was under the understanding it was basically a Interlock with a polymer tip and controlled expansion. Thanks for the heads up on that. I'll go a different direction on the bullet. I agree at 100 yards or less over bait you don't need the worlds most accurate bullet. But I'm trying to work up an general purpose round. Hopefully I'll end up with a good combination.

The ELD-x is basically a hybrid of the SST and AMAX, as I look at it the issue is less stout jacket used to ensure expansion at long range, creates a weakness when that bullet hits bone at high speed.

The ELD-x is basically a hybrid of the SST and AMAX, as I look at it the issue is less stout jacket used to ensure expansion at long range, creates a weakness when that bullet hits bone at high speed.

That's about what I've noticed. It's not a bad bullet AT ALL. But you just need to be realistic about what it is. Keep it in the soft spots and it drops things in their tracks. You may not get a full exit depending on shot placement and speed of the bullet, but I haven't had an animal take a step after being shot with one. Not an enormous sample size so YMMV.

sbhooper that's good advice! Maybe I'll regroup and try Interlocks or Partitions for a "everything" load. Your probably correct on the .270. I don't remember the rounds, but they were factory 150grns and probably not a great bullet for a shoulder shot. Sometimes we have a false sense of security in the factory ammo and expect more from it.

A real close shot, with a speedy bullet, will test a bullet to its max. It can show the deficiency in of a standard bullet. For the close stuff, I would go with the heavier bullets, for sure, and also would add the all-coppers as a good choice.

OP original question was for bear which I cannot comment on.
However;
If you’re going for elk, I’d say use a rifle that you’re comfortable shooting and can carry the mail out to 400 yards. Granted my first ever elk last October was a cow, but we got on a small herd and could get no closer than where we shot from at 370 yards.

7mm08 with a 140 E-tip, one bullet through the lungs slightly quartering away. After the shot she walked about 30 yards, then tipped over and rolled down the ridge.

I have a feeling if I would have had a bull tag and shot the nice 6 point bull in that group, the result would have been the same.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back