Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Reloading/Shooting/Firearm Projects - Let's Hear About 'Em!

OhHeyThereBen

With snow blowing everywhere and near whiteout conditions and hunting mostly on hold, I've been piddling around in my basement doing some reloading. Although my projects aren't nearly as involved as I'm sure many of yours will be, I'm interested to hear what you're all working on.

As many of you have probably seen, I picked up a new Savage 12FV in 6.5 Schmedium last month and have been trying to make the projects last as long as possible (this time of year I have much more time than money on my hands). I bedded the action to the stock, bedded a steel rod into the fore-end to provide more rigidness, and bedded the scope base to the top of the rifle. I loaded up 45 rounds of different loads to test and found some pretty good accuracy nodes for it and have now loaded up 45 more to see if I can narrow things down. The result of the first testing was that 39gr H4350, a Nosler RDF, and a Federal 210 can get me into less than a half inch if I do my job correctly. It's been too cold to get out and shoot, so I did my load testing at the underground indoor rifle range in town.

Last night I resized, cleaned, and prepped 300 pieces of 9mm brass and am going to pick up some bullets and primers to fill them with. This is typically my relaxing time after work where I can tune in to Randy's Youtube channel, load some ammo, and take my mind off of anything happening in my life.

My future plans? I'm going to be picking up some steel to shoot at and head down to some public land south of town to see how the Savage shoots at distance. It's not meant to be a hunting rifle (subject to change) so I'm excited to see what I'm capable of at distance. Learning to read wind, do ballistic calculations, and have proper shooting techniques is going to be a fun experience. I'd also like to do some more experimentation with reloads in my Winchester M70 in 30-06. I got it to about an inch, but feel like it should be more accurate than that. I'll hopefully be picking up some better brass and different bullets in the near future.

It's been pretty low key on this end. Went to work up a 110Gr AB load for my 257 Roberts and 160Gr AB for my 7mmWSM. Everything from the bottom until the very top of the load data shot 1 to 1-1/4" groups for the Bob. The WSM not so much, but it was with Magpro. Once temps get back out of the single digits and back to tolerable I plan on whipping some up with RL26 and go from there. I just did 500'ish 5.56 the last couple of weeks as well to put into Coyotes..

Going to help a buddy refinish his grandfather's 1950's era wingmaster in 16 gauge this winter. I like having a stock to refinish during the session. The monotony is a good tonic for the crazy.

Here's a Browning bss that I refinished & gifted to my niece:

FB_IMG_1548368968761.jpg

I have a lot of projects. Mostly home repair though. Lol
Still doing load development for my custom Mauser in 284 Win.
Getting ready, saving money for an elk hunt in Colorado this year.

Got a few Mauser actions, used 6BR barrel, a 6Rem reamer, and some 6Rem dies. Hopefully gonna pick up some cheap brass and build a stock before next hunting season. Don’t know why. I have plenty of guns that’ll probably kill better. I just want matching 98Ks in 6Rem, 6.5x57, 7x57, 30x57, and 338x57. The first cheap barrel that was suitable was a 6BR and I already had the 6Rem reamer, so it’ll be the first.

I also have a .223AI that could use a rebarrel and I wouldn’t mind going 6TCU. I have a reamer and dies, just need a medium twist barrel to float by at the right price.

If I was smart the first project would be a .280AI, but that would involve a new action and reamer, which would cut a lot deeper into the tag/gas budget, so it’s not very high on the list.

Last edited:
Nice looking gun, Ben. What did you use for a finish?

I'd be happy to be your niece for one of those :)

Very lucky gal.

Nice looking gun, Ben. What did you use for a finish?

I'd be happy to be your niece for one of those :)

Very lucky gal.

Poor kid had a NEF single shot 20 guage shoulder buster. Just didn't seem fair for me to have all those shotguns and a family member be that deficient. :)

Just Boiled Linseed Oil. About 30 coats and 3 months worth of time for the hand rubbed finish. Put a coat of stock wax on top of it and it came out very nice indeed.

So I found this site called gunbroker and its been the death of me. Haha. I keep finding deals to me and I have a bunch of projects that I am working on. I picked up a kimber classic in .270 wsm and have loaded up some rounds with rl26 and 140 ab. Nothing to write about yet, going to try some H1000 and see how it goes. Just got in a savage lwh in 7mm/08 and going to load up some 145 lrx and RL 17 and see how that works out. Also a model 70 in .300 wby that I am going to try 180 e-tips and H4831. Plus messing with some rl26 and 145eldx in the good ole .270. Best time of the year to work on loads in my opinion.

That's a check of a job you did!

Agreed! It turned out beautifully. I'd love a double someday. When I actually have a space to work on one, I'd like to refinish something older. Do you guys have any suggestions for a decently affordable model? I see some show up from time to time on the used racks. I just know next to nothing about them.

Thanks! Here's the other side. I left the character marks in the stock rather than lift & sand them out. I thought it kept the gun honest. Dad bought it in 2007 off a used rack and he shot it once and handed it to me. Luckily it didn't fit him, so I got it. :)

25729810064_ae9cc0518a_z.jpg

Ben,

We're happy to help you spend your money on a solid, used double. :) German guns are inexpensive and built like tanks. They're usually a good deal. Used Belgian guns are solid bets as well. The key is getting one that fits you, and your shooting style. I'm sure Cabela's in Fargo has some to go drool over. You can get a lot of gun for under $1K off the used rack, and the gun you get will be hand-crafted rather than CNC machined.

Thanks Ben. There's no Cabela's here, but there's one in East Grand Forks I may need to stop at on my way back from Bemidji this weekend. I'll need to wait a bit, but one of those is on the list. I like that you left a bit of the scarring on there. I sometimes question people who have working guns that are flawless.

This fall I held a Warnier in my hands at Cabelas Omaha for $700. I put it down. What a mistake. Got to thinking about it and went back. It was gone, but the guy that bought it posts it on other forums (e.g., https://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=478286 and also on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Shotguns/comments/9rlhxv/my_firstever_shotgun_a_vintage_belgian_double/). It was a gun that could easily have been 100% restored and I could have done all the work myself.

What Ben said about Germanic guns is true. Sauers for instance. Some Husqvarna's as well. They fall in the Teutonic family. Build like tanks but they don't have to drive like tanks at all. The English guns can be very good depending on what you lay your hands on. Just shop a lot, buy little but when you see something, don't hesitate like i did. What a mistake.

I just saw a very nice American Fox that would be a great candidate for restoration. it might still be there. I think around $500 for that one. Look for sound wood - it can be cracked, but not pieces missing or rotted. Cracks can usually be fixed. Missing or rotted wood can also, but so much more work and it isn't ever quite right.

If it doesn't fit quite right, possibly you can bend it, cut it, pad it. Just depends on what you need and are willing to do. But don't sell yourself short.

Brent

Last edited:
The Mauser Project:

Brno mauser in 8mm that was to be sporterized and left 8mm until I found problems with the barrel. Switching gears and rebarreling to most likely 280 Ackley. Once i get the barrel I'll be posting progress pictures. True the action, rebarrel, weld and bend the bolt handle, drill and tap for scope, rust blue and restock.

The Ruger Project:

Ruger M77 in 25-06 that the throat has eroded on. Going to rebarrel back to 25-06, rust blue and potentially re stock in fancy walnut.

Hopefully will be hunting this fall with one of them.

Four22,
I don't know if you will run into issues switching from 8x57 to 280 AI.
The 280 may be too long for your Mauser action.
A better choice may be the 284 Win, or the improved version the 284 Shehane.

284 fits perfect in the Mauser action. Lets the bullet be loaded further out of the powder charge.
A favorite of Melvin Forbes.

Just waiting for my 6.5 gap reamer to show up and then I’ll be dropping all my parts off at the smith. Wasn’t Planning on building one but when I found a smoking deal on a Remington stainless 300 wsm I parted it out and ended up only paying $240 for a donor action with trigger tech trigger I figured I might as well. Plus midway gives you a birthday sale so I got 15-25% off on all my other components I needed. The gunsmith is a good friend and he was needing some pickup parts so we did some trading of pickup parts for gunsmithing work so I have no money into smithing.

Remington 700 stainless
Shilen select match#3 contour 1-8” I’ll probably cut at 24” or 25”
Bell and Carlson TI stock BDL
Wyatt’s mag box
Holland recoil lug.

I’ll stick a Leupold VX5HD on top and have a hell of a fun rifle that weighs in at just over 8lbs

I need to prep guns & ammo for my South Africa trip with son and son-in-law. I need to mount 3 new leupold scopes scmaltz set me up with (2 5HD and a 6HD), and a Vortex HSLR for the SIL, and develop hand loads - my son's 7mm08 (120 or 140 TTSX), SIL's 7mmRemMag (140 or 150 TTSX), my .300WSM (150 or 165 TTSX) and my backup .308 (150 TTSX). Bullet weights will be chosen by which shoots best in each gun. Powders to play with will be Varget, H4350, H4895 & H4831SC.

I need to prep guns & ammo for my South Africa trip with son and son-in-law. I need to mount 3 new leupold scopes scmaltz set me up with (2 5HD and a 6HD), and a Vortex HSLR for the SIL, and develop hand loads - my son's 7mm08 (120 or 140 TTSX), SIL's 7mmRemMag (140 or 150 TTSX), my .300WSM (150 or 165 TTSX) and my backup .308 (150 TTSX). Bullet weights will be chosen by which shoots best in each gun. Powders to play with will be Varget, H4350, H4895 & H4831SC.

South Africa? That sounds like a blast. When you heading there?!

Another HT'r and I are in the process of making an investment in our family's hunting futures; which will include building a couple of shooting benches, some target stands, putting in a 350yd steel plate. All of which I consider a gun project ;)

Then just waiting for the temps to get a bit warmer (at least not -60 windchill) here so I can do some load testing with this guy.

CA Mesa.jpg

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back