Aoudad - Texas/NM Trespass Fee?

dahusker

Looking for an opportunity to hunt Aoudad via Trespass fee. West Texas or NM private land preferable. Willing to pay reasonable trespass fee, just not looking for a $5K 'gentleman's' lodge outfit operation. Willing to swap, work or whatever, just can't afford that much but really want to hunt Aoudad with a good opportunity. [email protected]

Auodad

That's Mike McKinney out of El Paso. I'm booked for a June Axis hunt on one of his Aoudad ranches. Concur he's got a good rep, but this will be my first time with him. He's about as low cost as you can find in Texas... and I looked hard.

Wow. This guys got quite the spread I have been interested in doing a hunt myself, have heard mixed reviews on the OTC units and a lot of just pay the money for an access fee and hunt a Texas Ranch. I would be curious to find out more about this guys DIY programs on a couple of his ranches. Might book one today maybe for 2020.

We had a blast with Mike McKinney on one of his ranches last September. Hundreds of Aoudad but a tough hunt with lots of rough miles. Imagine chasing antelope in the Grand Canyon. We went guided , but have also already reached out to him about his unguided hunts. On the better properties the cost is so close it almost makes sense to just go full guided... food was amazing

This looks like the way to go $1995 for 5 days, that's about what you would spend to do it on public land in NM... provided you could draw the tag. Greyman, thanks for the linking I'm definitely putting that in the hopper for 2020 or 2021.

Don't be stealing my date! Haha;)

This looks like the way to go $1995 for 5 days, that's about what you would spend to do it on public land in NM... provided you could draw the tag. Greyman, thanks for the linking I'm definitely putting that in the hopper for 2020 or 2021.

My pleasure. I would book a hunt myself but I have a ton of points accumulated in the public lands drawing for exotic. I'm hoping to draw Caprock Canyon or Palo Duro Canyon for aoudad this fall.

It can get crowded near the entrances. Just like any public land though, you can get away from the crowds with some hiking. I don't know what the actual success rates are, but I was able to stick a whitetail doe and a spanish goat in the same weekend. I haven't hunted there in a few years though.

Something I'm missing on this one... so for a texas exotic license $48 + $20 permit you can hunt aoudad for a couple of months OTC on public... seems like the entire area is really small, is it just super crowded with low extreme low success rates?

I have no idea, never been there. I was made aware of it a few weeks ago and thought it sounded like a unique opportunity. Figured I would share it in case someone was interested in a different option.

Looking at pics of the place on the web makes it look like rugged country with a steep shoreline. I would imagine there would be worse places to spend a week archery hunting all sorts of exotic animals in Jan/Feb while spending $68 on tags. It was 70 there today.

It can get crowded near the entrances. Just like any public land though, you can get away from the crowds with some hiking. I don't know what the actual success rates are, but I was able to stick a whitetail doe and a spanish goat in the same weekend. I haven't hunted there in a few years though.

Thanks for the info. The boat access only area was what interested me but some of that shoreline looks steep.

That's really cool that you had success on your hunt.

Check out the link I posted above. Matt has several ranches he hunts and very reasonable prices as far as aoudad hunts go. I hunted with him back in 2014 and took my first aoudad.

Looking for an opportunity to hunt Aoudad via Trespass fee. West Texas or NM private land preferable. Willing to pay reasonable trespass fee, just not looking for a $5K 'gentleman's' lodge outfit operation. Willing to swap, work or whatever, just can't afford that much but really want to hunt Aoudad with a good opportunity. [email protected]
I'm interested for sure. And I'm actually in South Texas right now for a while. Is this opportunity still here?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back