MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Wyoming unit 25 elk

Dave32g

Im considering apply for 25. Most of the stats on the unit look pretty good. But looking at older threads from different hunting pages most of the comments are negative on the unit, which makes me question my decision.

i was wondering if any one here has first hand experience int he unit?

any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks Dave

For some reason, it took a huge jump in the point creep department last year.

Mountainguide, what unit does have a big bull behind every sage?

That's the fable, for sure. I was just teasin' Mountainguide. I don't think anyone expects a big bull behind every sage, but some of these units are curious to me. I have not hunted 25 specifically, but I have hunted very similar units for antelope or deer and never once saw an elk or any elk sign, but I've been interested in them nonetheless.

I've hunted it. There are elk, but it's not a great hunt and not many mature bulls. Even though it looks like tons of public land, that's not where most of the elk are. Read to WY fish and game info on access. That's why its flagged as a unit with difficult access. My son could draw with his points, but I will have him hunt general before going back there if that tells you anything. If you do decide to hunt it be prepared to put in some miles and wait for bulls to cross over from private to small chunks of public. I think it could be different if you waited until late and there was lots of snow to push the elk out of 28 into the desert, but I did not hunt late.

The reason it, along with others took a jump and will continue to take a jump is because there are thousands of point holders in no man's land and they can't bring themselves to cash them in on a general tag yet they will never catch anything taking 6 or more. So they choose these hunts thinking and hoping they are better than the general units. General tags will eventually take 4-5 points.

BrentD have you elk hunted quite a few places in WY?

No, not so many places. The Wind River range mostly and a little in the Absarokas. Also one trip up near Grey's Ridge or Greyback Ridge. Long ago, not sure of the name now.

I'm always intrigued by all the photos of guys with nice bulls from with all the sage, grass, and open, fairly flat habitat in the background. Seems that were I hunt them it's always steep, thick forest, with few openings and usually full of snow and cold. I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong, so I look at these other units and wonder if maybe that's where they all are.

Last year, I was hunting Deer Area 36 (also Antelope 75) while the same area was open to elk (I don't know what the elk area number was). Never saw an elk except for a carcass that someone had butchered and then hauled out into the middle of nowhere to dump. Never saw a track, never saw an old dry dropping from last winter either. Mysterious. It is fairly similar to area 25 in terms of habitat and elevation I think.

olkocd,

If you are willing to say, what general parts of 25 has the elk? Or what types of habitats are they in (north slopes, "thick" bottoms, etc?). Or are most people jumping on the Area 25 type 1 tag because it is also good in Area 27 so, they go up there and hunt the high country? That's sort of what I've been thinking. Hunt Area 27 as far northwest as possible.

olkocd,

If you are willing to say, what general parts of 25 has the elk? Or what types of habitats are they in (north slopes, "thick" bottoms, etc?). Or are most people jumping on the Area 25 type 1 tag because it is also good in Area 27 so, they go up there and hunt the high country? That's sort of what I've been thinking. Hunt Area 27 as far northwest as possible.

The WY F&G has that info. FYI the elk in 27 will be way up high and it's a thick jungle of beattle kill blow down now. Yes, I think most people are looking to burn 4-7 points on anything they can draw now, but having hunted general twice myself, I feel like I can get a better bull on a general tag. At least if you're willing to work for it.

I hunted way out in 25 and never had a problem finding elk, it’s getting close to them. If you hunt closer to Atlantic City you run into private issues, but they could be on the public side. I would hunt before the cow hunt starts, everybody I talked to said the elk head out real quick once it opens. Plus they are still rutting hard at the opener

Thanks for all the replies. not exactly what i was hoping to hear. I'm going to keep doing a little research but i might start to look else where or maybe just hope for a hail marry and apply for something 2% chance at.

mountainguide,, what kinda bulls were you seeing when you were there?

I think 25/27 were mentioned as the best low point option in a certain magazine in early 2018.

I think 25/27 were mentioned as the best low point option in a certain magazine in early 2018.

That would make sense. Any idea what that "certain magazine" was? I don't read them these days, but maybe I should. It would have had to have been VERY early 2018 to catch the nonresident draw like something did.

Yup, that would do it. I didn't see the article, but imagined much the same. Apparently, so did the authors and that resulted in the land rush.

I wonder if they produced a similar article for 2019 and what areas got the ''death sentence" like this?

Thanks for the pointer. The extent of the point creep certainly makes more sense now.

I've hunted the general area next to 25, and I was wishing I had the 25 tag. I think it would be a good hunt, especially in bow season.

Yup, that would do it. I didn't see the article, but imagined much the same. Apparently, so did the authors and that resulted in the land rush.

I wonder if they produced a similar article for 2019 and what areas got the ''death sentence" like this?

Thanks for the pointer. The extent of the point creep certainly makes more sense now.

He puts one out every year with his picks along with the regular magazine stuff and IMHO probably has enough followers that think his chit don't stink that jump in on those units and have as much or more to do with point creep every year than anything.

Back