Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Elk Point Count?? 5x5 or 8x5

MikelM06

Hello All,

I'm a avoid hunter for all things but have just gotten into Big Game hunting Elk. This year was my third year DIY for elk.

I finally got one!! A lot of work but totally worth it.. Made great memories, Enjoy the beautiful state of Colorado, and filled my freezer.

I have a question as deer hunting hear we count total points and call it a 8 point , 9 point, ect. I know general people state 5x5 or 6x6 ect. for elk and muleys. My question is. I have when people have asked said mine was a 5x5 but some others have called it an 8x5 or a 7x5 or a 5x5 with kickers. I don't want to sound like a totally noob but I also don't want to sound all snobby saying its better that what it is.

Also I have had people tell me a little bit about why this happens but I'm curious on the actually facts.

Also a few other questions if you all have time

Would his horns after he dropped them grow back this way but just larger (the odd points)
Would it go back to normal?
Also does a 5x5 always stay 5x5 or would has he grew gotten to a 6x6?
For my first Elk would you have shot it. I know that very opinion based, but sometimes I wounder if I let this guy go if he would have became a unique monster.

Thanks all and hope everyone had a wonderful hunting season. Sorry one photos is upside down and it was right side up earlier.
image003.jpgimage001.jpgView attachment 93330image004.jpg

Attachments

• image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 720
Id call it a mainframe 5x5 with some bonus points. You call it what you want.

I'd call it a shooter. He may or may not have become a 6 point. Probably would have but I wouldn't worry about that. He's mature. As they grow older they will generally get bigger antlers until they hit a point and then they regress. You don't see a lot of elk in Colorado that make it to the regressive stage. As your first elk (or your 50th), you definitely made the right choice in taking it, especially if you were in a OTC unit. Any 3+ year old elk in an OTC unit has most likely seen a lot of his friends get shot and they get smart fast! Congrats on a unique bull. I'd call it a 5x5, but I wouldn't get too hung up on that.

CONGRATULATIONS!

A bull elk, taken DIY, is a terrific accomplishment. I'd call it a 5x5, and YES, I'd have shot it on my first elk hunt, or any other doggone bull elk hunt.

Good job.

Guy

Awesome!! 5x5 was what I was thinking as well..

Thanks for all the congrats!! Pretty cool to see those extra points when I came up to him. Not something I had time to glass or see from afar.

It was an OTC Bull. I was watching 4 cows and 2 shooter bulls across on the other side, planned my attack for the morning. Looked down and there he was white ass 400 yards just below me (Just at my comfort zone).. It was just starting to be twilight and I knew the wind and thermals were going to bust me soon. shooting my 7MM I knew had about a 19 inch drop at that range. Quartering away.. waited waited and waited for a better shot. He was just about to go out of sight and I decided to take the shot. Placement was what I wanted. Went in just behind the ribs. through the barrel of the chest and lodged in on the front right inside shoulder. No exit wound (didn't know at the time) so no blood/felt pretty hopeless and pissed at myself. I looked for close to an hour and found he managed to run/maybe some rolling 300 yards down hill. Best thing is I found the bullet on the inside shoulder when quartering it. That 7mm did it's job! Added some photos of him hung.

Elk 2 (2).jpgElk 2 (1).jpgElk 2 (3).jpg

More Info and Thanks

Awesome!! 5x5 was what I was thinking as well.. Thanks for all the congrats!! Pretty cool to see those extra points when I came up to him. Not something I had time to glass or see from afar. It was an OTC Bull. I was watching 4 cows and 2 shooter bulls across on the other side, planned my attack for the morning. Looked down and there he was 400 yards just below me (Just at my comfort zone).. It was just starting to be twilight and I knew the wind and thermals were going to bust me soon. shooting a 7MM knew I had about a 19 inch drop at that range. Quartering away.. waited waited and waited just about to go out of sight and I decided to take the shot. Placement was what I wanted. Went in just behind the ribs. through the barrel of the chest and lodged in on the front right inside shoulder. No exit wound (didn't know at the time) so no blood/felt pretty hopeless and pissed at myself. I looked for close to an hour and found he managed to run/maybe some rolling 300 yards down hill. Best thing is I found the bullet on the inside shoulder when quartering it. That 7mm did it's job!Elk 2 (3).jpgElk 2 (1).jpgElk 2 (2).jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back