Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Deer sausage.

I broke in my new Camp Chef Deluxe this weekend with a batch of deer/bacon sausage. It's the Hi Mountain hunters blend sausage kit that Sportsman's sells in case anyone is wondering.

50527379_385988045293488_508310363029110784_n.jpg

Looks good...I'm looking at doing my first batch next week, and was wondering, how do you check the temp on them? Poke the casing with the probe? Or do I try to check at one of the tied ends?

I keep the two built in grill temp probes inserted in the string ends on each side of the grill at all times plus randomly spot check a few in the middle of the casing with an instant read thermometer. I do rotate them all every hour just in case the grill has hot spots. When you puncture the middle of the tube you get a little squirt of juice but it seems to seal up pretty quick after you remove it.

I always run the temperature prob up one of the ends. I really like the bacon mix from curley sausage kitchen. I don't stuff it, I make meat bricks from a 5x9 glass pan and then smoke.

I made some for the first time a couple weeks ago and will definitely be making it again. It was a fun project and the results were pretty awesome, if needing a few tweaks. I smoked mine in a weber smokey mountain 18" and used a leave in thermometer stuck in the middle of the largest one at an angle. If I remember correctly I pulled them at 155 degrees internal. I lost some definition/separation of the fat and meat due to trying to finish them quickly towards the end with a smoker temp around 250-270. I started them basically cold smoking around 125 for the first hour or so. Next time I'll give myself a little more time and keep it low the whole time.

20190105_094621.jpg

20190105_135958.jpg

Last edited:
I keep the two built in grill temp probes inserted in the string ends on each side of the grill at all times plus randomly spot check a few in the middle of the casing with an instant read thermometer. I do rotate them all every hour just in case the grill has hot spots. When you puncture the middle of the tube you get a little squirt of juice but it seems to seal up pretty quick after you remove it.

Thanks for the help!

I’ll be making some on my smoker soon too.

I got the Hi Mountain seasoning for Christmas and am anxious to see how it does.

Recieved aa Sportsmans gift card for Christmas,thanks for the tip on the Hi Mountain.:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back