Amazon

Europe

Several have asked about our trip to the Amazon

I will re write when time permits, without my attempt at sharing the humorous ( in my opinion ) things that happen in life

Be well

Last edited:
Europe,

Your original write up was fine and humorous! No need to edit.

One interesting historical and scientific find of the Amazon basin that I have learned of in the last few years is Terra Preta. Anyone else familiar with this story? Have you heard of it Europe?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/amazon-terra-preta-to-find-ancient-civilizations

thank you, but not everyone agreed with you about the humor.

to your question, I have heard of it, but had not heard about it when we were there. Read about it later and found it interesting

My husband fancied himself as some kind of Indiana Jones, so he did drag me to many Mayan sites in Mexico, Central and South America and I did like Machu Picchu in Peru, and the trip on the Amazon. I think for some reason or another the pyramids in Egypt and the trip down the Nile was more impressive to me than the Mayan ruins and the Amazon----BUT, I am very glad we visited the Amazon, as I mentioned in my earlier post, some absolutely amazing sights, great fishing, and even the tree house was all part of a wonderful experience and thank you bighorn ram

vaspeedgoat --- I wrote it up, but included one line in the post that was humorous, to me, but someone felt it was too "R" rated for the forum so I will pm you the humorous line--- as you note above bighorn ram had no problem with it.

bighorn ram--they do have feral andrean sheep running around in the mountains of peru with 2-3 and even 4 horns. we saw them but did not hunt them

The Amazon

First and foremost, it is HOT AND HUMID--all the time!

We traveled by boat and float plane. The accommodations on the boats are modest, at best. We also stayed in one of the tree house hotels and if you try this one, you need to be in fairly good condition as getting to the rooms are a challenge. But "living" in the trees, was defiantly an experience.

We visited three cities Manus, Barcelos, and Belem. In Belem, one is amazed at the thousands of flamingos and how wide the mouth of the Amazon is. Barceleos, --the river in that area had hundreds of different types, colors, and size of tropical fish. You felt you were in a huge tropical fish tank.

But Manus provided something I will never forget. Two rivers join together in Manus, the Rio Negro and the Rio Solimos

For several miles after they join, they flow between the same river banks but do not merge together. You can tell this because the water from each river is a different color --it is amazing,

There are a LOT of animals. Monkeys, snakes, birds---lots of birds of all different colors, sizes and shapes. also lots of monkeys and the monkeys are way to aggressive for my liking

We fished for Piranha, Peacock, and catfish and all three provided good tape fare. They claim the catfish that are caught weight over 500 pounds but we did not see any. They ones we caught were approx 90 pounds.

We saw two anacondas, but they were not huge

I enjoyed the trip and was glad I went but unlike Africa, Alaska, and The Territories in Canada, I have never had a desire to return

Last edited:
Back