Maine mosse

Preacher shaner

I turn 40 tbis year i would like to try for a moose. I have took to much time dreaming and not trying to make it nappen. I know out west i am to old to realy have a chance for a tag. Now i was thinking Maine or would i be better off to just break down and go to NF

You need to draw a permit to hunt Maine.

See below...

Permit Allocations & Moose Lottery Odds
How We Determine the Number of Permits to Issue

The number of permits we issue in each WMD varies year to year by the WMD's management goals, which are developed through public input. More total permits may be issued if some were deferred the previous year due to permittee illness, armed service status, or similar situations. Curious what your chances are of winning a permit? Here's how the numbers broke down in 2017:

Total Applications Received: 54,003
Total Permits Issued: 2106
Change in total permits from previous year: -34

Antlerless Permits: 220
Any-Moose Permits: 105
NON-RESIDENT LOTTERY

Non-Resident Applicants: 15,763
  Non-Resident Permits Issued: 207
  Non-Resident Selection Rate: 1.3% (~1 permit for every 76 applicants)

I went to Newfoundland in 2016 and had a blast. Very reasonable and you most likely will get a crack at a bull.

NF hands down. The moose odds in Maine is way worst than most states out west.
The odds above doesn't factor in the multiple chance tags people buy. Those 15,000 applicants buy multiple chances most buy at least 10 chances each. Some buy way more than that. But there is a chance but very slim chance. I know guys that's put in over 40 years and still no tag. I drew cow tag first attempt years ago. Lol

Last edited:
Don’t waste your time or money on the Maine Draw. Put a deposit on a hunt in NF and go.

If you want to go, what they said, NF. You could be collecting social security (if it's still around) before you draw in Maine. Been trying for about 15 yrs. NADA. Just a FYI I'm social security eligible quite soon........but still working!

My old boss just drew last year after 19 years of applying as a NR in Maine. He had a great hunt and got a bull, but I know way more people that've gone to NF and also had a great hunt that didn't have to wait 2 decades for a crack at a moose

I have been in Maines moose draw for 15 years. They screwed us all when the opened the ticket block sales. That said you can have great hunt in Maine, I have run dogs in maine for the last 20 years so I have plenty of time in the back county. My buddy has drawn two excellent moose units in Maine over last 12 years as a nonresident. I have been the co tag holder on both tags , He killed two nice bulls, I was glad to call and pack for him. That said he must have horse shoe up his ass. I am not going to check though.

Newfoundland is great place to moose hunt. I am heading back this year with my father. Hopefully I can arrow a woody as well.

Think last odds that were more realistic stated there was over 300,000 chances purchased for a little over 200 NR tags. That info from f&w website is misleading.

I hate to ask could i find out who you go with in NF. I would love to know. Do you drive or fly.and how long dose it take you to get thete

I went with Ironbound pretty good outfit. They really jacked their prices up though the year after I went. Lots of good outfits up there lots of moose. Fly out hunts are best seem to get nicer animals than Argo type hunts. I'd drive if your on the east coast border crossing is pretty painless per my buddy. I flew and wished I'd drove to bring back all that meat instead of shipping it. Check actual drive times on Google once you narrow down an outfitter. You will have an overnight ferry crossing also.

Back