Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Wyoming Area 113

Now I'm at a quandary, do I post the map and prove the access or do I just keep that little 37k acre "secret" to myself...

If you're talking about walking from the south boundary, which is CR 387 that makes up the southern and eastern boundaries of 113 that is BLM you could park legally along it and WALK forever going to the north/nw into that 37K acres you're probably talking about. If you look at the Johnson & Natrona County public road maps you will see that there is not a single publicly maintained county road going into 113. There is one BLM road (116) that goes north a few miles off of CR 387 that is legal to use. As far as the two western highway boundaries (state hwy.87/I-25) up where there is a big chunk of BLM, there may be some spots were state hwy.87 hits 113 BLM land that may be legal to park along and head east. I see when I zoomed in on my computer BLM map exactly where madtom shot that buck. One other BLM patch that might be 80 acres and one patch of state land near them that's maybe 200 acres. I guess it's true that you said that you sometimes just get lucky. Good for you since you obviously did along with good use of GPS coordinates!

Last edited:
How many more posts until we can fight about the legality, morality, and practicality of walking in from the interstate again?

How many more posts until we can fight about the legality, morality, and practicality of walking in from the interstate again?

Well this unit has legal access from the interstate, so we are SOL for now...also that kinda seems like a Thursday debate, I'm not a fan of getting threads shutdown this early in the week.

access.jpg

Backpack in for antelope? If so that is hard core.

I didn't realize anyone took antelope hunting that serious.

Yeah I'm not, my hunting rig is just kinda well, let's say limiting.
rig.jpg

I'm going on out on a limb and guessing you think backpack hunting ducks is just insane...

Please don't stir the pot on that one, as that's been beaten to death and guys that want to take the chance can do whatever they want to. PS: Both my does were backpacked out last season. My buddy took one out whole after we gutted her as it was only a couple hundred yards. I boned the other one out and backpacked that meat out over a mile.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm not, my hunting rig is just kinda well, let's say limiting.
View attachment 93326

I'm going on out on a limb and guessing you think backpack hunting ducks is just insane...

But with the corgi pulling I'm sure it can get through most obstacles.

I am not much for duck hunting as the meat tastes terrible to me but you must be one of the few who backpack in and spend multiple nights out while antelope hunting. It's cool to put effort into a hunt so I am sure it's really rewarding. I always think of antelope hunting as much more of a laid back type of hunt. But I am not hard core.

If you're talking about walking from the south boundary, which is CR 387 that makes up the southern and eastern boundaries of 113 that is BLM you could park legally along it and WALK forever going to the north/nw into that 37K acres you're probably talking about.
We have different definitions of forever.

We have different definitions of forever.

LOL! I used that term because I didn't want to even try to count all the 1 mile section squares from where you could legally park and start walking. 113 is similar to talking about hunting up in unit 16 in that the spots from where you can park and access the BLM are few, but you can walk all day and then some more if you want to.

Last edited:
But with the corgi pulling I'm sure it can get through most obstacles.

He certainly things he can...

I ride a desk for a living so I think to walk around a lot when I'm hunting, there are probably lots of guys that kill bigger bucks because they are more mobile. Hunting is great because it's a choose your own adventure, I just encourage people not to put off getting out there because they don't have points. You can have a lot of fun in 0 pt units while you are building.

Lol maybe when I get some points built up one of you guys can show me how to find the big bucks.

So I obviously missed the posts about the legality, morality and practicality of walking in from the interstate. If the adjoining land is public and you can park your truck safely please explain to me the issues?

So I obviously missed the posts about the legality, morality and practicality of walking in from the interstate. If the adjoining land is public and you can park your truck safely please explain to me the issues?

It has been debated many times in many threads here over the years, even about this particular hunt area. The discussion usually gets heated and causes threads to get locked. I’d be interested to hear from someone who does it and gets ticketed. I see several people doing it every fall.

He certainly things he can...

I ride a desk for a living so I think to walk around a lot when I'm hunting, there are probably lots of guys that kill bigger bucks because they are more mobile. Hunting is great because it's a choose your own adventure, I just encourage people not to put off getting out there because they don't have points. You can have a lot of fun in 0 pt units while you are building.

Lol maybe when I get some points built up one of you guys can show me how to find the big bucks.

You will be waiting a long time if you want me to show you big animals. I just hunt to have a good time and most of the time hunt the same areas year after year. No horn hunting here. I think I had one tag last year that was not "general or OTC" and that was just because they don't have "general" antelope tags.

What's the furthest you have packed out an antelope?

I hunted 113 in 2015, 2016, and 2017. We paid a trespass fee each time we did. However, as others have mentioned, there is foot acres to the large blocks of BLM in the south part of the unit. Get yourself an OnX chip and a good set of boots and you'll have access to plenty of country with plenty of goats. We actually passed a guy on the truck trail last time out (2017) about 3-4 miles back. He was packing out a goat on foot. Wish i'd stopped to shake his hand. Dude earned it.

Two notes on 113:

1. Don't get upset if you walk in and see goats on private. There will be hunters on the private too and the goats will shift back and forth between the private and BLM as they get pushed around. Of the 7 antelope i've seen die in that zone, only 3 were on private land.

2. If you walk in, be sure you know exactly where you are. The landowners watch very closely and i've seen several groups charged. We had one very difficult encounter with a neighbouring landowner. Be prepared to be confronted and demonstrate that you know where you are.

I hunted 113 in 2015, 2016, and 2017. We actually passed a guy on the truck trail last time out (2017) about 3-4 miles back. He was packing out a goat on foot. Wish i'd stopped to shake his hand. Dude earned it.

That may have been me. 2.6 miles as the crow flies from the kill site to the truck. That was not an easy walk. Lots of ups and downs crossing steep washes. And don't forget about the mud sticking to your boots. October 9th was the date if I remember correctly.

I don't have any issue with it...need one more buck pronghorn for the "WY Interstate Pronghorn tri-fecta".

I was so bummed to not draw the tag to do it in the leftover draw last year...I'm crossing my fingers 2019 will be the year I complete it.

Backpack in for antelope? If so that is hard core.

I didn't realize anyone took antelope hunting that serious.
I did 113 by backpack in 2019. Wish I had brought more fresh water though.

Attachments

• 2019-10-14 07.21.27-1.jpg
    2019-10-14 07.21.27-1.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 29
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back