Have to brag on my granddaughter.

tarheel

My granddaughter ran the Houston marathon yesterday; 6889 runners in total and she came in 104th in the female gender (top 3%), 6th in her division (20 to 24 yr. olds) and 506th overall. Not too bad for one so young who has only been running marathons for about 3 years.

Last spring she ran her first ultra marathon (50K) and thought she had won resoundingly but learned that after leading nearly the entire race she had made a wrong turn near the finish at a poorly marked trail and so was disqualified.

This race is part of her prep and training for a 50 miler she'll be running this spring in Wisconsin. We've been to some of her cross country events when she was in college and maybe some day we'll get to see her cross the finish at one of her longer races.

This was at her ultra last spring; don't know how she manages to smile while punishing her body so.

Attachments

• Annie's first ultra.jpg
    Annie's first ultra.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 228
Fun to watch the kids succeed in whatever they do, congrats to both of you!

My granddaughter ran the Houston marathon yesterday; 6889 runners in total and she came in 104th in the female gender (top 3%), 6th in her division (20 to 24 yr. olds) and 506th overall. Not too bad for one so young who has only been running marathons for about 3 years.

Last spring she ran her first ultra marathon (50K) and thought she had won resoundingly but learned that after leading nearly the entire race she had made a wrong turn near the finish at a poorly marked trail and so was disqualified.

This race is part of her prep and training for a 50 miler she'll be running this spring in Wisconsin. We've been to some of her cross country events when she was in college and maybe some day we'll get to see her cross the finish at one of her longer races.

This was at her ultra last spring; don't know how she manages to smile while punishing her body so.

How she can smile----she is young! (-:

Congratulations to her,

Is she doing this because she enjoys cross country or is there a larger plan--like possibly the olympics or ? 6th in her division is pretty darn good! Very impressive

How she can smile----she is young! (-:

Congratulations to her,

Is she doing this because she enjoys cross country or is there a larger plan--like possibly the Olympics or ? 6th in her division is pretty darn good! Very impressive

I think it's just for the joy of running. I was the same when young; work all day on the farm and when it cooled down I'd run barefoot along and around the truck rows until supper time or until I ran out of steam. We didn't have a track team at my little HS so I just ran because it gave me a sense of freedom found nowhere else.

So far as Olympic aspirations I haven't heard of that as a goal. She seems to do better in the longer races. Though always up toward the front of the field she never had any stellar finishes through college until her senior year where she went to the nationals in Xcountry and marathon.

Just so long as she stays healthy and doesn't get accosted along some greenway.

That's awesome! And the smile well sometimes you got to fake it til you make it!

Tarheel,

Yes, I also worry about my granddaughter being accosted in some remote area. I try to get her to always go with someone ( she doesn't run, but hunts/fish/explores alone sometimes ), so that sentence in your post, did not escape me. Even when she was with her mother and I on her last trip to Spain ( hunting Ibex and Fallow ) we were confronted by a group of men and women who were anti-hunting and they were ugly.

Your sentence about running barefoot on the farm between the corn rows also brought back memories--simpler times for sure.( actually you didn't say corn rows, but it was what I saw/remembered ) (-;

I wish her all the best in her quest, whatever it is. You have every right to be proud, thank you for the thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back