Montana elk

Preacher shaner

I am thinking of trying MT deer elk comdo tag. I looked at at the block unite map there are 7 do you have to apply in one of those for the gen deer elk combo. And for a frist timer I dont want more than what unite 1-7 should i look in to. Thanks for the help

Deer and elk general tags are good statewide In all 7 regions , however , each 7 units has sub units called hunting districts and each district has its own regulations and some districts are bull by permit only or buck mule deer by permit . Pick a region and district then open the regs

I did self guided elk in MT 2018 and few other years in past. The bear and wolfs have decimated the elk and deer herd in some western regions. I hunted region 1 & 2 and there were very few animals taken by human hunters this season... I do plan to go back in 2019 if draw again, but will go to another region this time.

I'm heading to "East Helena".. (I think that's the name of the closest town) this fall for an archery elk hunt. Have never been and dont know what to expect. Other buddies of mine have gone and had a great time. Dont remember a single thing said about wolves or bears. Anyone know anything about that area or maybe like 50 mile circle of it?

I'm heading to "East Helena".. (I think that's the name of the closest town) this fall for an archery elk hunt. Have never been and dont know what to expect. Other buddies of mine have gone and had a great time. Dont remember a single thing said about wolves or bears. Anyone know anything about that area or maybe like 50 mile circle of it?

East Helena? Seems that you should look on a map and then read the Montana hunting regs! The units directly surrounding "East Helena" are LE branch bull hunting by permit only. You would have to get to the outer edge of your 50 mile circle to access HD units that would allow the hunting of branch bulls via a general elk tag. There are HD units both east and west of "East Helena" that are open to general tag branch bull elk hunting. But maybe your buddies were only hunting cows and spikes? Side note, "East Helena,MT" is a suburb of "Helena,MT" and that would be our Montana state capital! Good Luck!

I did self guided elk in MT 2018 and few other years in past. The bear and wolfs have decimated the elk and deer herd in some western regions. I hunted region 1 & 2 and there were very few animals taken by human hunters this season... I do plan to go back in 2019 if draw again, but will go to another region this time.

They have decreased them. I wouldn't say decimated.

Head toward York lots of public land that direction and you can shoot branch anterled bulls

Deer and elk general tags are good statewide In all 7 regions , however , each 7 units has sub units called hunting districts and each district has its own regulations and some districts are bull by permit only or buck mule deer by permit . Pick a region and district then open the regs

If I'm not mistaken, if you draw mule deer in a special draw you can only hunt mule deer in that HD, so if there's a chance you'll want to hunt different HDs keep that in mind.

Haha. That's the closest town.. I'm not sure where we are hunting Haha. I might want to get more involved!

Back