Caribou Gear

Nilgai on the King Ranch

djlax

I just returned from Texas after a successful nilgai hunt on the King Ranch, an excellent experience. I walked about 10 miles on various stalks throughout different parts of the ranch, so I was smoked by the time we got the bull back to the ranch facilities. Nilgai were very alert and it made for challenging stalks. The terrain and amount of wildlife were spectacular, I couldn't keep up with all the different groups of turkeys or HUGE whitetail bucks that were on the ranch. A healthy population of nilgai down there, but you have to work for them. I used my new Howa multicam 300 WM and it only took one shot.
-Jason

That's awesome. Congrats. Nilgai are high on my list to hunt with a handgun.

Do you have a picture? And how far was your shot?

IMG_1541.jpg

My shot was ~150 yds, late evening. My buddy shot his a little earlier in the evening about the same range. We had other opportunities at longer ranges (400), but passed. I can't wait to get the meat back from the processor. This picture above is a shot of the dunes, which was a cool landscape feature on the ranch - there was lots of rolling prairie, but in areas it sort of blended in to these sand dunes. We spotted many animals hanging out in the little grassy draws in and around the dunes.

Last edited:
Very cool! I've long thought about making a trip for them, even a cow. I hear they are great table fare.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omcqueen
Back